News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The great thing about that though is you eventually grow up, realize that Alfie gave his all for the team and was its best player until Karlsson came around, and you let go of childish reasoning.
is this the case for most things and most people? "probably not"

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I fail to see how Melnyk is going to come up with the money for the relocation fee and the lease to play in someone else’s arena.

Relocation (to QC or anywhere) is off the table, the NHL will only allow it as an absolute last resort. The NHL will exhaust all avenues to find a local buyer(s) to purchase the team from an owner who wants to leave their market, and to be sure there would be a buyer(s) that would keep the team in Ottawa, for example.

Reactions: Hutz

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Relocation (to QC or anywhere) is off the table, the NHL will only allow it as an absolute last resort. The NHL will exhaust all avenues to find a local buyer(s) to purchase the team from an owner who wants to leave their market, and to be sure there would be a buyer(s) that would keep the team in Ottawa, for example.

I tend to agree. Though if I recall, in the NFL there was a team that basically forced relocation through the courts, it would be very difficult to do so. On top of that, Melnyk would have to go from owning his own stadium to renting in Quebec, which I'm not sure he'd be all that interested, and Quebec isn't exactly a market upgrade, he'd just be moving laterally. Can't see the NHL as a whole supporting the move.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Hed try. The nhl would force him to sell before that happened. As long as there is someone willing to buy the Senators, they aren't leaving Ottawa.

I think he could do it, he's a smart and underhanded. The owners wouldn't stop it, imo, as they'd receive their share of the relocation fee.

Personally, I see the league expanding to 36 teams over the next decade. Seattle and Houston are both highly attractive markets, and should Melnyk move the league could easily find an ownership group here to fill that shiny new arena downtown.

So twice the money to the owners and the outcomes are the same either way, but logistically if QC wanted a team back, it's easier to relocate than expand and Ottawa is the more attractive expansion market.

I pray it doesn't happen, but I could see it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think he could do it, he's a smart and underhanded. The owners wouldn't stop it, imo, as they'd receive their share of the relocation fee.

Personally, I see the league expanding to 36 teams over the next decade. Seattle and Houston are both highly attractive markets, and should Melnyk move the league could easily find an ownership group here to fill that shiny new arena downtown.

So twice the money to the owners and the outcomes are the same either way, but logistically if QC wanted a team back, it's easier to relocate than expand and Ottawa is the more attractive expansion market.

By that time, an expansion fee will be 600 million. Add in 300-400 million for an arena, and you're pretty much looking at someone willing to invest a billion dollars for an expansion team in Ottawa. I don't see that happening. Not when you can spend that billion in Hamilton and have access to heavier wallets and corporate support.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So Melnyk is going to a) find ~200 mil to pay an expansion fee, b) live with not owning or profiting from arena revenues in Quebec all so that he can relocate to a market that doesn't hold any tangible advantages over the one he's already in aside from the fanbase maybe not hating him quite as much right off the bat?

I mean, the league fought to keep other teams where they are, why do you think they'd be so open to moving Ottawa? It's not like they wouldn't have benefited from relocation fees for other franchises. It's bad PR to move a team, particularly when there are investors willing to keep the team local. Moving the team out only to immediately (or shortly there after) sell an expansion franchise in it's place would be a very bad look imo, one that Bettman would surely want to avoid.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So Melnyk is going to a) find ~200 mil to pay an expansion fee, b) live with not owning or profiting from arena revenues in Quebec all so that he can relocate to a market that doesn't hold any tangible advantages over the one he's already in aside from the fanbase maybe not hating him quite as much right off the bat?

I mean, the league fought to keep other teams where they are, why do you think they'd be so open to moving Ottawa? It's not like they wouldn't have benefited from relocation fees for other franchises. It's bad PR to move a team, particularly when there are investors willing to keep the team local. Moving the team out only to immediately (or shortly there after) sell an expansion franchise in it's place would be a very bad look imo, one that Bettman would surely want to avoid.
Don't forget he owns Canadian Tire Center which would remain empty in the middle of nowhere and would have virtually negative resale value to maintain going forward. Essentially boring down one of his only tangible assets left on earth.

Reactions: CanadianHockey

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't forget he owns Canadian Tire Center which would remain empty in the middle of nowhere and would have virtually negative resale value to maintain going forward. Essentially boring down one of his only tangible assets left on earth.

Presumably he'll have to sell off CTC when he moves to Lebreton, and has some sort of plan in place there. I know some old arena's get converted to shopping malls, perhaps a museum or something could work out there.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Presumably he'll have to sell off CTC when he moves to Lebreton, and has some sort of plan in place there. I know some old arena's get converted to shopping malls, perhaps a museum or something could work out there.

Last I heard on the subject was that Walmart had interest in purchasing it (if it ever went to market) to turn it into a distribution center.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Last I heard on the subject was that Walmart had interest in purchasing it (if it ever went to market) to turn it into a distribution center.

Their distribution center in Cornwall is something like 1.5 million square feet in size. That's one hell of a big footprint.

But I can see why that would be a good location, right next to the highway and all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure, that was reported a couple of months ago, around February or March
Ok, so before. Technically, the Supreme court only paved the way for individual states to decide whether or not to legalize sports gambling, and that happened this May. I think it was Mark Cuban who claimed this would double the value of every sports franchise out there. Obviously that's a bit hyperbolic, but there's no doubt that it could have the potential to add significant revenue streams as NHL teams will want to take a cut of gambling that use their namesakes, and results to make money.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So you agree that the best way to get an NEW owner is to empty the arena and force Melnyk out.

Welcome aboard.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Ok, so before. Technically, the Supreme court only paved the way for individual states to decide whether or not to legalize sports gambling, and that happened this May. I think it was Mark Cuban who claimed this would double the value of every sports franchise out there. Obviously that's a bit hyperbolic, but there's no doubt that it could have the potential to add significant revenue streams as NHL teams will want to take a cut of gambling that use their namesakes, and results to make money.
Interesting, I guess we will see in the near future if that's drastically increased the expansion fee when the Seattle info ramps up!

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

Hmm, almost too bad that the timing couldn't guarantee a surefire buyer in Amazon for the same purpose. Though Amazon's preferred location does give better access to Montreal.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Imagine if Amazon bought the arena for a distribution centre? No more next day deliveries for me. When I want shampoo today, I want it today. I dont want to leave the house to go get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad