Confirmed with Link: Dane Fox traded to Canes for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Fox is the kind of guy that can play all over the lineup. He's not a top 6 or bust guy. He's certainly a lot better than some of the trash we've signed and played in the AHL, like Stewart. I don't care if they THINK he has no NHL future. Good AHL players are also important, especially if they develop into guys who can sub in when injuries hit and not look out of place. I mean, Friesen likely has no (meaningful) NHL future but he's still a good pick & a good asset because he's able to come up and not suck in his role.

And of course the downside here could be that they gave up a Burrows or Peverley level of player without doing their best to actually find out.

I think you are stretching (a lot) to compare him to either of those players.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think you are stretching (a lot) to compare him to either of those players.

I think you're being lazy by ignoring the whole rest of the post or the word "downside".

Besides, Burrows wasn't even the leading scorer on his ECHL team at the same age as Fox.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And there you have it, we lost a superstar;)

What I think happened, sort of what Bad Goalie was saying, is that they didn't see a future with him making the canucks so even if he could potentially do something in the AHL they would rather spend the time on players that they project in their future. The whole time Fox has been with the organization he has played in the E and has not been used in the AHL. I think it's fair to say he is a long shot for an NHL team. Why waste time developing him?

It could also have been a sweetner to get the other player that came to Utica.

Long story short he didn't ever have a chance of making the canucks top two lines so he wzas expendable.

In a vacuum, yes, this is correct. If they had no intentions of giving him a chance, it was better to move him and clear the contract slot. I've said this from my first post in the thread.

But again, it's the process to get to this point that's the problem. He should have been given a chance so we knew what he had.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Hard to tell with Fox obviously no one on Uticas staff liked what they saw from him. But at least he has a chance now.......

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Hard to tell with Fox obviously no one on Uticas staff liked what they saw from him. But at least he has a chance now.......

I think it's hard to tell for anyone what Utica really thought of him.

Vancouver management "requests" are an influence. They could have "requested" that he be given time, just like they requested for Stewart.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
And there you have it, we lost a superstar;)

What I think happened, sort of what Bad Goalie was saying, is that they didn't see a future with him making the canucks so even if he could potentially do something in the AHL they would rather spend the time on players that they project in their future. The whole time Fox has been with the organization he has played in the E and has not been used in the AHL. I think it's fair to say he is a long shot for an NHL team. Why waste time developing him?

It could also have been a sweetner to get the other player that came to Utica.

Long story short he didn't ever have a chance of making the canucks top two lines so he wzas expendable.

This is in fact the entire problem with our current management.

They slot guys like Granlund in or assume that Virtanen will be ready.

They don't bother to find out whether a prospect will sink or swim at a higher level unless that prospect happens to be one they like.

They don't anticipate that injuries or lack of development might happen. Then they get caught with their pants down and have to do dumb things like ... trade for Granlund.

You develop as many prospects as you can, and you sell them off when they still look high but you have given them enough of a look on your own. Not when they "theoretically" won't make the next level or the NHL.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
thats a pretty hefty opinion. im pretty sure we won't, but i mean.. i dont like taking even a 5% risk for literally nothing

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Sorry what are you trying to say here?

I think he's saying that the return for Fox was essentially nothing, so even if there's only a 5% chance that he develops into a useful player, the trade was a waste.

I doubt that we'll regret the trade as well, but would have certainly liked to have seen Fox play a bunch at the AHL level before ditching him.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Dim Jim signs Mac Stew - who cares about contract slots!

Dim Jim gives Fox away for a bag of pucks - we need contract slots!!11

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Fox and shinkaruk are goal scorers. Who needs those, solid 2 way play only. Defense wins championships.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Sorry what are you trying to say here?

the prediction that we're gonna regret giving him away is kind of like predicting you're gonna win on the next scratch and win. fox is definitely not a 50%er at this point so you're taking the long odds on a hunch. i dont agree with that, but i do agree that trading him as we did was a pointless waste of a small chance of something good

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Fox is the kind of guy that can play all over the lineup. He's not a top 6 or bust guy. He's certainly a lot better than some of the trash we've signed and played in the AHL, like Stewart. I don't care if they THINK he has no NHL future. Good AHL players are also important, especially if they develop into guys who can sub in when injuries hit and not look out of place. I mean, Friesen likely has no (meaningful) NHL future but he's still a good pick & a good asset because he's able to come up and not suck in his role.

And of course the downside here could be that they gave up a Burrows or Peverley level of player without doing their best to actually find out.

Is Fox a good AHL player or going to be one? Is the reason he has spent all his time in the ECHL due to the Canucks not giving him a chance? I don't know. I had high hopes for Fox but I think at this point he's not going to amount to much.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Is Fox a good AHL player or going to be one? Is the reason he has spent all his time in the ECHL due to the Canucks not giving him a chance? I don't know. I had high hopes for Fox but I think at this point he's not going to amount to much.

In one game for the Checkers, he is literally already better than nothing.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
the prediction that we're gonna regret giving him away is kind of like predicting you're gonna win on the next scratch and win. fox is definitely not a 50%er at this point so you're taking the long odds on a hunch. i dont agree with that, but i do agree that trading him as we did was a pointless waste of a small chance of something good

Thanks, just checking. I'm biased by my personal experiences with this particular prospect. He's at least going to be good in the AHL IMO, which is valuable in and of itself to the organization.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Thanks, just checking. I'm biased by my personal experiences with this particular prospect. He's at least going to be good in the AHL IMO, which is valuable in and of itself to the organization.

Don't really know, but there has to be locker room or attitude issues with this guy.. Leading goal scorer in the ohl and every single team in the NHL passed over him in the draft. Plus there are rumors of his ohl trade being from off ice issues... There is more to this story......there has to be......

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think it's hard to tell for anyone what Utica really thought of him.

Vancouver management "requests" are an influence. They could have "requested" that he be given time, just like they requested for Stewart.

So Green is really a puppet and has no says, especially when it comes to his training camps? It all comes down to Stewert?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Stewart is awful and we passed on far more talented players like Hicketts to get him. Then they decided to make him into a winger and sign him to an ELC, which made it even more face-palmy. Ended up back in the dub as an overager where he currently has 8 points in 32 games.

Yay, we drafted a face puncher ... Next thing we know, Dim Jim will be calling him a foundation player ...

It's just one cringeworthy decision after the next with this management group. Fox being one in a long line of them.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I feel the need to contribute to the most absurd thread that I have read on this board...Just flabbergasted that this is still on the first page and still going, so I want to keep it there lol

It amazes me that so many insignificant moves get so much attention around here.

I suppose at some point, the percentages say that one of these moves turns out to bite us a bit. I do agree in the concept of why are we giving away these "long shot" assets for nothing. I suppose that it is possible that a longshot comes through, or even that the next to "nothing" becomes an asset at some point.

But clearly, Dane Fox was not a player who had the respect of any in this organization. It is a certainty, in my view, that NEITHER the Canucks or the Utica coaches/management believed in this kid. Maybe he is a complete ****, or maybe they just don't like him as a player, but with more knowledge than we have, Travis Green did not want him either. Therefore, even with the small risk that he turns his life around, learns to skate, and becomes a contributor elsewhere, I am not concerned by this move in any way.

Now, let's see how long this mindless discussion continues to be front and centre...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully Travis Green had a lot of input into the decisions to trade Shinkaruk and Fox....I have a lot more faith in his assessment than the Canucks' pro-scouting staff.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I feel the need to contribute to the most absurd thread that I have read on this board...Just flabbergasted that this is still on the first page and still going, so I want to keep it there lol

It amazes me that so many insignificant moves get so much attention around here.

I suppose at some point, the percentages say that one of these moves turns out to bite us a bit. I do agree in the concept of why are we giving away these "long shot" assets for nothing. I suppose that it is possible that a longshot comes through, or even that the next to "nothing" becomes an asset at some point.

But clearly, Dane Fox was not a player who had the respect of any in this organization. It is a certainty, in my view, that NEITHER the Canucks or the Utica coaches/management believed in this kid. Maybe he is a complete ****, or maybe they just don't like him as a player, but with more knowledge than we have, Travis Green did not want him either. Therefore, even with the small risk that he turns his life around, learns to skate, and becomes a contributor elsewhere, I am not concerned by this move in any way.

Now, let's see how long this mindless discussion continues to be front and centre...

He had an assist with the Checker last night, literally making us lose the trade already.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He had an assist with the Checker last night, literally making us lose the trade already.

Are the Checkers an NHL team I haven't heard about? People are complaining about Stewart in a draft where the Canucks got 3 players who will be in the Lineup this year and a 4th who has 10 SO in college. When the first 4 picks play in the nhl the gm can do anything they want with the rest of the draft IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad