Injury Report: Dan Boyle - broken hand (4 to 6 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Boyle is a smart vet. I don't see him rushing himself back only to set himself back even further. So when he says he hopes its closer to 4, I think it is because he knows where his body is at even though he won't commit to anything. We definitely could use him back.

Doesn't sound like he's a week away...

Boyle, who is also on long-term injured reserve (as is McDonagh), skated in the optional practice in a non-contact jersey, too. He is just over three weeks into a 4-6 week injury and eligible to come off LTIR. However, his hand was wrapped after practicing, and Boyle didn’t shoot pucks, nor did he do much passing with the right hand on the stick.

I don't know if Boyle has ever broken his hand before--from what he said yesterday, other than the concussion last year, he hasn't spent much time with long term injuries in his career. He's going to need to work on regaining the strength in his hand as well. Two weeks, maybe--he'd still be ahead of schedule--but hockey players have a tendency to rush themselves back and then either get hurt again or are not comfortable doing certain (necessary) things and play at significantly less than 100%.

Obviously, Boyle wants to get back into the lineup as quickly as possible. But when he gets back, he needs to be up to speed at least physically. It's going to take some time for him to feel comfortable in the system, especially with MCD out.

busy-day-for-rangers-mcdonagh-out-3-4-weeks-malone-waived-talbot-to-start-klein-mcilrath-allen-recalled

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Boyle skating in regular jersey today...close to returning.

B12ZO7oIQAEsw80.jpg:large

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Almost full health. Excited to see Boyle back. Hopefully get that powerplay going.
For mcdonagh maybe the 4-6 week break proves to be a blessing in disguise? I mean as long as there isn't any long term structural damage /weakening of that left shoulder. If we can stay competitive until he comes back we will be ok and he comes back rested for the final two thirds of the season

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
He's still having pain--probably won't be back until Thursday at the earliest--although I'd rather he take an extra game or two to be completely healed (not that a hockey player will do that...):

Meanwhile, Boyle said he is still experiencing some pain and has not regained all of the strength in his hand.

“The last little part has been the most frustrating,†Boyle said. “Every day it’s gotten a lot better but now it’s the final part of it and I’m just doing a little bit more and more every day so I can go out and play, basically.

“I guess I’d be day to day at this point,†Boyle added. “I would say next week, hopefully, is realistic. Definitely not today. If had I had to do it today, definitely not today.â€
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/..._stepan_return_definite_talbot_to_face_leafs/

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Almost full health. Excited to see Boyle back. Hopefully get that powerplay going.
For mcdonagh maybe the 4-6 week break proves to be a blessing in disguise? I mean as long as there isn't any long term structural damage /weakening of that left shoulder. If we can stay competitive until he comes back we will be ok and he comes back rested for the final two thirds of the season

It's never a blessing to get injured. McDonagh is one of the best conditioned players on the team--the team needs their #1 defenseman a lot more than he needs the rest.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Amen. Never thought I'd ever be this eager to see Dan Boyle skate around for us. Was so lukewarm to that signing. Still would have rather had Stralman, but at this point getting any able bodied defender into this lineup has me elated.

Let's all be honest here... I don't think losing stralman would have pissed off so many people if he didn't have such a blazing hot start offensively. I know some were upset anyway but I think his offensive production so far has been like pouring salt on the wound.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@DarrenDreger: Dan Boyle could return to NYR tomorrow. See how things go today.”

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Let's all be honest here... I don't think losing stralman would have pissed off so many people if he didn't have such a blazing hot start offensively. I know some were upset anyway but I think his offensive production so far has been like pouring salt on the wound.

His offensive prowess that he's recently discovered is part of it... the other part is that for 15 games this season we've effectively had to replace Stralman with...............Michael Kostka...............due to Boyle's injury...

That's bound to make ANY fan of ANY team antsy

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
His offensive prowess that he's recently discovered is part of it... the other part is that for 15 games this season we've effectively had to replace Stralman with...............Michael Kostka...............due to Boyle's injury...

That's bound to make ANY fan of ANY team antsy

agreed, Boyle was really good for us defensively in the pre season so I'm not really worried about him, getting him back is gonna be huge.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Agreed reason everyone misses Stralman so much is because boyle hasn't played yet for us. So basically it's looked like we just let Stralman go and didn't replace him

Once boyle gets going and making plays on the pp we won't be thinking of Stralman

The guy we will miss is Brian Boyle IMO

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Id sit Boyle another game personally err on the side of caution

If we lose to colorado it won't be because Boyle didn't play it'll be because we laid another egg

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hoping for a brightside moment where missing these 15 games will have him a little more fresh for a long playoff run :nod:

Will be a very welcome addition to the lineup.

Almost there!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think it helps McDonagh even more. Kid played a lot of mins in the postseason. Could use an extra month off before the games start to really matter

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Agreed reason everyone misses Stralman so much is because boyle hasn't played yet for us. So basically it's looked like we just let Stralman go and didn't replace him

Once boyle gets going and making plays on the pp we won't be thinking of Stralman

The guy we will miss is Brian Boyle IMO

yeah, this is spot on...

Once Dan Boyle comes back, it's a net-even tradeoff when compared to Stralman... we've traded possession for power play quarterbacking abilities and direct points off the powerplay... which we could naturally afford to do given that Klein, Staal, and Girardi play such stay-at-home games. On top of that we have other defensemen stepping up, most notably Klein, who has shown more even strength offense (shockingly, actually) than last season, as well as some serious defensive prowess.

As I've been saying, I think Klein was supposed to be Stralman's indirect replacement, while Boyle was the direct replacement that got put onto Staal's right... positionally, it just happened to work out that way...

Brian Boyle is the guy we've missed. For that reason I do think we need to target another defensive/shutdown 3rd liner to put on the 4th line.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Do you guys think when Mcdonagh gets back we should put him with Boyle instead of girardi? Staal looks real comfortable with Girardi and has played his best hockey this season with him IMO

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Do you guys think when Mcdonagh gets back we should put him with Boyle instead of girardi? Staal looks real comfortable with Girardi and has played his best hockey this season with him IMO

Problem is whether Boyle can handle playing the large number of even strength minutes that you want McDonagh to be playing

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

only reason why I wouldn't is because both McD and Boyle are offensive Dmen... Boyle's natural place is on Staal's right at this time.

Pairings are probably set as is, but I'd like to see Klein on the top pairing

McD-Klein
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Girardi

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

The pairings look good on paper, but I don't know if Boyle can play that many minutes.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I hope Boyle takes it easy for one more game. Not worth the risk of re-injuring the hand. It can happen so easily--a deflected shot or a slash in the wrong place, and we're back at square one. Give it a few extra days, let it strengthen just a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad