Injury Report: Dan Boyle - broken hand (4 to 6 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I dont think DM will ever be a top 4 D in the NHL and I wouldnt be surprised if he never makes it. If we are lucky he will be a 3rd pair D.

I think Hundwick was ok and showed some offensive ability in the preaseason which is what you are trying to replace.

I'd be extremely surprised if he never makes it. Beuk said that he thought he was NHL ready this year. A team with lesser D depth would possibly have him on the third pairing now, as a young guy who's a year behind injury wise. I don't think it's terribly realistic to assume that he wouldn't improve at all from when he breaks into the league.

NYRantLftyC19

Mar 17, 2007
They need to trade for a D-man for some defensive depth. They were so lucky last year to not have many injuries, but if they want to go deep in the playoffs, you have to plan for a Dman or 2 going down... Hunwick and Moore as a 3rd pairing won't cut it in the Finals....

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
They need to trade for a D-man for some defensive depth. They were so lucky last year to not have many injuries, but if they want to go deep in the playoffs, you have to plan for a Dman or 2 going down... Hunwick and Moore as a 3rd pairing won't cut it in the Finals....

Boyle will be back long before that. Or did the calendar sudden move up 4 months during the game?:help:

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I understand he only played 35 games in the mini season... That doesn't dismiss my original statement. Kostka is not a good NHL defenseman. I would rather choose Hunwick over Kostka, but everyone has their own opinions.

Replace a puck moving defenseman with another puck moving defenseman. Kostka is a pylon in disguise.

Just wanted to poke my head in here again after tonight's performance against the Islanders. :sarcasm:

WeWillWinTonight

Apr 2, 2008
NY
This happened Oct 9th - today marks the 3 week point.

Injury was originally said to be 4-6 weeks so maybe we start hearing something more specific this weekend or next week?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
btw, i was out of the country when this happened...anyone know what play he broke it on? any video of it?

I don't know if there's video but it was just a shot block. He goes down to one knee and kind of turns away from the shot and it just happens to hit him in the hand. You can immediately tell there's an issue and he goes to the bench and doesn't return.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This happened Oct 9th - today marks the 3 week point.

Injury was originally said to be 4-6 weeks so maybe we start hearing something more specific this weekend or next week?

I remember hearing Joe Micheletti saying that he was talking to Boyle about the injury and he said that he's "always been a fast healer" Hopefully thats the case with the broken hand because if he can come back early, say for the Maple Leafs or Oilers game right after the 4 week mark, that will be 1 or 2 less games with an 8th defenseman in the lineup.

Ill take a rusty Dan Boyle over any of the Rangers 8th defenseman.

Might be a tall order though. Im thinking hell be back for the Pittsburgh or Avs game the following week, with Stepan already back.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Sounds like Boyle has been skating and stickhandling, but not passing or shooting yet

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wish I had the luxury of nhl doctors. I fractured my hand on 9/28 and he's skating before me lol.

not sure how a broken hand would have prevented him from skating at any point. he's still not using the hand to shoot or stickhandle so the hand isn't healed

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
not sure how a broken hand would have prevented him from skating at any point. he's still not using the hand to shoot or stickhandle so the hand isn't healed

Is that still the case? It was true a couple days ago, but being back on the ice in a non-contact is a newer development. Generally when guys are back at practice, even in the non-contact, they're stickhandling and moving the puck. The report about him not using the stick said he was skating on his own. He's back on the ice with the team now.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
From what he said today, it sounds more like Boyle wants to be around the team during practices, rather than he's close to coming back:

On how he feels: “Uh, my body feels fine, obviously three weeks in so I’m praying it’s going to be closer to four rather than six. I’m just waiting for the green light from the doctors.â€

Can he do anything with his right hand yet: “Not really. They’re being cautious, you don’t want to do something foolish then set yourself back. It’s important for me to get out there. As much as you want to ride the bike every day there’s nothing like playing games and skating it’s important for me to be out there and be with my teammates who are new faces to me and I’m new to them.â€

He's also not able to do certain drills...

On whether he’ll skate again with the team on Monday: “I told Rammer (trainer Jim Ramsay) I want to be out with the guys, kind of pick and choose which drills I do. I kind of know what I need to do and what to stay away from. It’s Important to be around the team and skating.â€

Given the schedule, I think Moore comes back before Boyle is fully ready to play--although hopefully Klein is only out 1-2 games (fingers crossed).

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...tepan_still_out_talbot_to_start_boyle_update/

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
From what he said today, it sounds more like Boyle wants to be around the team during practices, rather than he's close to coming back:

He's also not able to do certain drills...

Given the schedule, I think Moore comes back before Boyle is fully ready to play--although hopefully Klein is only out 1-2 games (fingers crossed).

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...tepan_still_out_talbot_to_start_boyle_update/

Boyle is a smart vet. I don't see him rushing himself back only to set himself back even further. So when he says he hopes its closer to 4, I think it is because he knows where his body is at even though he won't commit to anything. We definitely could use him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad