Speculation: Damien Cox on CBC: Wings willing to move 1st round pick and/or Mantha at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wrote an article here quoting an "NHL executive" talking about how Babcock will be miserable in Toronto. That suggest to me that he talks to people in the Wings' front office from time to time.

http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/gave-babcock-leafs-in-for-rude-awakening-052115

It's perfectly possible you're correct also though. Who knows really.

I dont mean he has no sources at all, I'm not really sure I dont read his stuff and Im not sure who he is. I just mean that this article reads more like a person saying he doesnt believe the rumours based on past behaviour from Ken Holland and the wings.

I just think that while people say Holland does nothing, hes actually been in on massive names lately and offered huge packages so I wouldnt be shocked if the first or Mantha are moved at all.

The Edler package was huge, Bob Mackenzie said the wings offered the best package for Rick Nash (same division back then though), pretty sure the rumoured Jay Bo package was massive as well. Holland knows he needs to make a big trade to finish the retool of this team and hes actively trying to do it.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Holland has to move #19, Mantha, Nyquist or Tatar for a D-man. Kronwall is already 34. Who knows how many effective years he has left in his tank? This needs to happen NOW!

Just for once Kenny: SHOW US THAT YOU GOT BALLS!!!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Oh look, everyone is overreacting and demanding trades because the Blackhawks won the Cup again. Holland just needs to stay the course with the rebuild.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Oh look, everyone is overreacting and demanding trades because the Blackhawks won the Cup again. Holland just needs to stay the course with the rebuild.

which might be cool if he was actually rebuilding

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So bring Cleary back again, trade picks for a deadline rental, and lose in the 1st round again?

The matter of whether Holland has TRIED to make a significant and helpful trade or not, plus $5, will get you a cup of coffee. Either he starts making good on those alleged intentions or he deserves criticism for failing to do so.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
So bring Cleary back again, trade picks for a deadline rental, and lose in the 1st round again?

The matter of whether Holland has TRIED to make a significant and helpful trade or not, plus $5, will get you a cup of coffee. Either he starts making good on those alleged intentions or he deserves criticism for failing to do so.

Oh you can't question king Kenny here!! :laugh:. He needs to do something. Stevie is making him look silly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've been kind of sorry for folks how cranky most of the mods have been about the team lately. Heaton and I are basically the two old guys from the Muppets yelling from the balcony.

No apologies needed for saying what you really feel/think.

Frustration is understandable, been pretty stagnant for awhile.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No apologies needed for saying what you really feel/think.

Frustration is understandable, been pretty stagnant for awhile.

I just don't want people to get the idea that positivity is somehow seen as not the tone of the forum. This, coming from me, a guy accused of being a homer over the years more times than this guy.

212px-Homer_Simpson_2006.png

When I was my most optimistic about the team, I kept saying "This is the off-season that defines Holland." And after 3 years of saying that, it's like, "Ok, screw it, I'm done waiting." Others were quicker to lampoon the team, and maybe they were correct all along, but years of inactivity beyond some nice draft picks is truly difficult to watch as your aging stars fade to their former selves.

The talks of moving a bluechip prospect and 1st is the kind of move we've been dying to hear, especially if it involves a star defender coming back, but it feels too late. At this point even getting Phaneuf or Buff or whoever, do you have the resources to fill out the rest of the roster?

I've gone from advocating a never give up mentality to hoping Holland sells off spare parts and retains his draft picks. That's probably the best long term solution. But bringing in a star player, even if they are age 30, would certainly make this season more exciting and give me some shred of hope that Zetterberg and Datsyuk could conjure magic just one more time with the help of their young counterparts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just don't want people to get the idea that positivity is somehow seen as not the tone of the forum. This, coming from me, a guy accused of being a homer over the years more times than this guy.

When I was my most optimistic about the team, I kept saying "This is the off-season that defines Holland." And after 3 years of saying that, it's like, "Ok, screw it, I'm done waiting." Others were quicker to lampoon the team, and maybe they were correct all along, but years of inactivity beyond some nice draft picks is truly difficult to watch as your aging stars fade to their former selves.

The talks of moving a bluechip prospect and 1st is the kind of move we've been dying to hear, especially if it involves a star defender coming back, but it feels too late. At this point even getting Phaneuf or Buff or whoever, do you have the resources to fill out the rest of the roster?

I've gone from advocating a never give up mentality to hoping Holland sells off spare parts and retains his draft picks. That's probably the best long term solution. But bringing in a star player, even if they are age 30, would certainly make this season more exciting and give me some shred of hope that Zetterberg and Datsyuk could conjure magic just one more time with the help of their young counterparts.

Totally get this, all we have heard is "wait for it...", "wait for it...", and then nothing.

Free agency (Suter) was gona save us. Now we're gona package prospects for a trade that saves us.

Ok, well talk is cheap. Let's see it.

But on the other hand, I believe we are sitting in a very nice spot up front. I really believe that. We need to bring in some reinforcements on defense, and we can be formidable.

I like Paul Martin a lot in free agency, I think he could stabilize our top pairing. I like 3 or 4 of these kids we could draft at 19 in this draft a great deal. I think one of them could become a legit player. I think we have some options to rectify the situation, but we have to choose the right ones.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I like Paul Martin a lot in free agency, I think he could stabilize our top pairing.

This. I would also like to sign Mike Green.

Kronwall - Martin
DeKeyser - Green
Marchenko - Ericsson

But this won't probably happen. It would be nice to see Ouellet with the big team as well.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This. I would also like to sign Mike Green.

Kronwall - Martin
DeKeyser - Green
Marchenko - Ericsson

But this won't probably happen. It would be nice to see Ouellet with the big team as well.

Any defense without:
Kronwall
Ericsson
Quincey
DeKeyser

isn't being realistic, unfortunately.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The wings forward group is awesome, they just need to add a dman or two and they'll compete with anyone in the East. Theyre strong on the wing so yeah, trade a young winger for a top pair dman. Washington rebuilt their D with 2 free agent signings in one off season I bleieve.

There is way too much doom and gloom on this forum, wings fans are seriously spoiled. Add one solid free agent signing on the back end and trade from a position of strength (young top 6 wingers) to add one more dman and this team could easily come out of the East.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The wings forward group is awesome, they just need to add a dman or two and they'll compete with anyone in the East. Theyre strong on the wing so yeah, trade a young winger for a top pair dman. Washington rebuilt their D with 2 free agent signings in one off season I bleieve.

There is way too much doom and gloom on this forum, wings fans are seriously spoiled. Add one solid free agent signing on the back end and trade from a position of strength (young top 6 wingers) to add one more dman and this team could easily come out of the East.

I disagree, there's too much hinging on Datsyuk and Z still, even with a defensemen signed. Look at the playoffs, Tatar and Nyquist didn't show that they can carry the load from Datsyuk and Z. The biggest downfall was Z not being able to carry us in the playoffs like he used to.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I've been kind of sorry for folks how cranky most of the mods have been about the team lately. Heaton and I are basically the two old guys from the Muppets yelling from the balcony.
So who is Statler and who is Waldorf? :D

Easy for me to say, since I've been one of the more vocal Holland bashers around here, but don't sweat it. I just hope this really is the summer that (smart) proactive moves become more frequent.

Actual Thought*

The problem is that some of us aren't done. Positivity is definitely seen as "not the tone of the forum".

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Likely, but we'll see as far as what Blashill decides to roll with.

I'm talking about in terms of abilities. If our defensive core stays the same (Kronwall, DeKeyser, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Ericsson) It's kinda hard to argue that Ericsson isn't the 3rd 'best' defensemen in there based on track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad