Speculation: Damien Cox on CBC: Wings willing to move 1st round pick and/or Mantha at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm talking about in terms of abilities. If our defensive core stays the same (Kronwall, DeKeyser, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Ericsson) It's kinda hard to argue that Ericsson isn't the 3rd 'best' defensemen in there based on track record.
It was also obvious Ericsson wasn't 100% to start the season. That finger injury really bothered him. Hopefully that issue is gone now and he can bounce back.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
I'm talking about in terms of abilities. If our defensive core stays the same (Kronwall, DeKeyser, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Ericsson) It's kinda hard to argue that Ericsson isn't the 3rd 'best' defensemen in there based on track record.

i'd put him fourth behind kronner, dd and Q

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Ericsson is a good player I don't understand why he gets so much hate. Everybody in Wing's management understands that he isn't a two D and is forced to play that role via lack of options. He also doesn't get paid number two D money. So what is the issue? He has been the only guy we can count on to fill the position until we have an answer. How does that make him a bad player? If we had a legit 2 D that put up points we wouldn't even be talking about Ericsson at all. The guy does make some mistakes just like every player in the NHL but he also is forced to play way to many minutes against way to much competition. Does anyone here even watch hockey? Because people complain Kronwall isn't a 1D because he makes to many mistakes too. Go watch Suter, Doughty, Mcdonagh they all make mistakes almost every single game. Plus the guy is a beast in front and behind the net. He is our only defender that can physically remove guys from the puck on a regular basis. The whole Ericsson is soft crap is garbage. The guy is big and strong and he plays a very physical game. But I guess people on the forums only judge physicality by highlight real checks. He is paid 2nd pair money and he would be a dam good 2nd pairing guy. No reason to complain about this player as he belongs on this team and is paid fairly for his value. Put a similarly paid Quincy on the 1st pair and see what happens. Although you can't knock Quincy either, if you had a legit top 3 and slotted him as the 4th he would be a decent player to fill out your top 4. That's just not the case of our current roster. Decent players being victims of bad circumstances being demanded to be something they are not. What makes it even worse is that our roster lacks offensive D so now people expect these solid defensive defensemen to produce offense and then knock them because they can't. It's not their fault and doesn't make them any less of a player because our management hasn't been able to balance our lineup and get the pieces we need.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not sure if any one has talked about it but OEL from Arizona? Mantha + 1st 2016 + Prospect/Smith?

You'd have to offer two firsts, Larkin and DeKeyser to have any shot and there's a good chance they'd still get a better offer. Better to just bottom out and draft some awesome guys in the top 10 over the next few seasons.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
You'd have to offer two firsts, Larkin and DeKeyser to have any shot and there's a good chance they'd still get a better offer. Better to just bottom out and draft some awesome guys in the top 10 over the next few seasons.

Who are these "awesome guys" you keep talking about?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This. I would also like to sign Mike Green.

Kronwall - Martin
DeKeyser - Green
Marchenko - Ericsson

But this won't probably happen. It would be nice to see Ouellet with the big team as well.

Can somebody please explain why we would even think about signing mike green to a contract.
He is going to be a 30 year old injury prone defenman that is on a rapid decline. He is a 1 dimensional player that is going to be EXTREAMLY over paid this July. I just wanna know why people want to give Mike green over 6.5 million dollars

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Can somebody please explain why we would even think about signing mike green to a contract.
He is going to be a 30 year old injury prone defenman that is on a rapid decline. He is a 1 dimensional player that is going to be EXTREAMLY over paid this July. I just wanna know why people want to give Mike green over 6.5 million dollars

I'm pretty sure that noboby here wants to offer Green that kind of money. I admit, that there is a possibility that Green is going to be overpaid. I just think it would be nice to have someone, (besides Kronwall) who could handle the puck as a puck, and not as a freaking hand grenade.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Because we only have 1 dman that can do anything with the puck, Maybe 2 in Danny D that plays regularly, Kindl doesnt play enough, Nor is he going to probably.

Quincey and Ericsson cant shoot thats for sure.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Because he is a Right Handed Puck moving Defensemen that can qb the pp better than almost anyone in the league. We have been desperately searching for a guy to play this role since the day we lost Rafalski. He fills a huge hole. Play him next to DD and he's going to be great at ES.

Not to mention he's only 29. He's got good years left in him. Washington has screwed with his head, they have been changing coaches and systems every season, that can't be easy.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Not sure if any one has talked about it but OEL from Arizona? Mantha + 1st 2016 + Prospect/Smith?

:shakehead

Why do people keep bringing this up? The Wings are not getting OEL.

I'm with ya on this one. Got a feeling someone's gonna pay this guy and regret it. Hopefully it isn't the Wings.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Wonder if Boston would be open to a deal based around Smith for Krug, a Chia signing.

Also, if Provorov fell to Florida at 11, I would absolutely offer the 19th and Mantha for that pick. Probably wouldn't add though.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Wonder if Boston would be open to a deal based around Smith for Krug, a Chia signing.

Also, if Provorov fell to Florida at 11, I would absolutely offer the 19th and Mantha for that pick. Probably wouldn't add though.

They want Krug.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
They want Krug.

Agreed. No way we get Krug for Smith. We'd have to add at least a couple assets, and at that point I'm not sure if he's the best d-man we can target. I like the thought though, detredWINgs.

weird things have happened in the draft but i highly doubt he falls that far.

Any chance Werenski falls to that spot? I'd be just as happy with him, and based on a few mock drafts that seems a little more likely.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Is that guy like a sure thing or something? Dunno how I feel about the idea of trading up. Seems like a huge gamble.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Any chance Werenski falls to that spot? I'd be just as happy with him, and based on a few mock drafts that seems a little more likely.

werenski is also pretty unlikely to fall that far but i'd guess there's a better chance than with provorov. jackets are almost guaranteed to take D and philly and sharks could also take one. devils and avs will likely lean on forward.

Is that guy like a sure thing or something? Dunno how I feel about the idea of trading up. Seems like a huge gamble.

provorov is pretty safe bet to be at least #3 defenseman. don't think he's going to be elite though.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
God I wish we could draft Provorov. But Holland doesn't believe in trades.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
weird things have happened in the draft but i highly doubt he falls that far.

I agree that it's unlikely, but in this draft, it's not so much as "falling" as it is there simply being a guy available that 8-12 teams like better. According to a bajillion mock drafts, you could fashion a top 10 out of (in no particular order) Eichel, McDavid, Marner, Zacha, Hanifin, Werenski, Crouse, Barzal, Rantane and Strome. There are usually a couple "surprises" in the top 10 anyways.

I'd make the same argument for Werenski. Just swap the two.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
God I wish we could draft Provorov. But Holland doesn't believe in trades.

Would cost an arm and a leg, so in this case I don't blame him.

Also with the depth of this draft I like who will be available at #19 just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad