Speculation: Damien Cox on CBC: Wings willing to move 1st round pick and/or Mantha at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
No mention if they were looking to move up in the draft or for a roster piece. How far could we realistically move up with both of those packaged? It would have to be high enough to guarantee us drafting a D-man that we're targeting. Otherwise hopefully we're looking at a #2 D-Man.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Mantha? Really? What a ridiculous idea. They would get about half value at most. You don't publically trash a guy and then hope to deal him later and pretend like nothing ever happened.

But thankfully Ken Holland doesn't believe in trading.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
When we said we wanted you to make a trade, we didn't mean to trade these assets! Trade a damn winger. Trade one of those lump of coal defensemen. Don't trade the first or the money prospects, Holland! Honestly.

I'm starting to get a little more worried about those defensemen. Maybe none of them are really worth anything. I'm not sure what defensemen are available.

And I think you're overreacting, he never said we were targeting Phaneuf again.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I havent watched Mantha play, is his play really warranting this organizational criticism?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I have to think they have a bigger target in mind than Dion Phaneuf. It doesn't make sense that they'd balk at Mantha in March only to deal him in the same trade now. They had to already be disappointed with the way his season was going by deadline time.

Mostly, I just have to believe they have a bigger target, because I'd be really underwhelmed if they just took a similar deal to the one that existed at the deadline.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will be seriously pissed if we trade this years 1st rounder. Especially if it was for Phaneuf.

Mantha l I like a lot, but I would trade for help on the blue line.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm starting to get a little more worried about those defensemen. Maybe none of them are really worth anything. I'm not sure what defensemen are available.

And I think you're overreacting, he never said we were targeting Phaneuf again.
Cox is heavily, heavily implying that. He followed up his 1st+Mantha available tweet with a bunch about the Phaneuf trade.

Ex:

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 2m2 minutes ago
The proposed deal, btw, was Phaneuf for Weiss, Smith and Mantha. DET didn't want to surrender Mantha at that time.

Detroit offered Weiss, Smith, Pulk but Toronto wanted Mantha instead.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Unless this is a really big trade for a young #1 D (highly doubt it especially because we would need to include more and Holland isn't that brave) this is really bad news. If we trade our prospect with the most offensive upside for Dion Phaneuf I'm going to lose my s***!

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not sure what to think. Phaneuf is probably better than anyone available in free agency. At least now we'll have some anticipation again for something that will never happen.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I have to think they have a bigger target in mind than Dion Phaneuf. It doesn't make sense that they'd balk at Mantha in March only to deal him in the same trade now. They had to already be disappointed with the way his season was going by deadline time.

Mostly, I just have to believe they have a bigger target, because I'd be really underwhelmed if they just took a similar deal to the one that existed at the deadline.
That's what I am thinking. We need to brain storm, what else is out there that's bigger?? Yandle? OEL? Myers? What else could we be after?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not sure what to think. Phaneuf is probably better than anyone available in free agency. At least now we'll have some anticipation again for something that will never happen.

Rather have Paul Martin, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad