Speculation: Damien Cox on CBC: Wings willing to move 1st round pick and/or Mantha at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevboyarsky

Oct 23, 2014
If Weiss is included, it's 100% sure they are not gonna retain anything.

But without Weiss, I could see 2M at maximum retained. No reason for more, because that's Phaneuf's real value.

You're talking about the team that decided to pay Horton $50M to never play hockey just so they could not have to see David Clarkson playing in a Leafs uniform again.

I don't think anything is 100% certain.

If they like the return, they'll make the $ work.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well you can't really do both.

If you're trying to re-build, you'd be best off moving Zetterberg, Datsyuk, getting whatever you can for Franzen, and going full on for prospects picks.

Re-building teams don't usually pick @ #19.

Holland has said we are trying to do both.

Signing a free agent can let you do both.

Trading a 1st/or prospect for 30 year old defenseman does not.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Do you really think Mantha + 1st is enough for Top 20 defenceman. I'm glad if they make the trade with Toronto. Phaneuf would bring some grit to this team. I'm so tired of watching softest team of the NHL in Detroit.

You shouldn't be, because Mantha + 1st for Phaneuf is a horrible deal for the Red Wings.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
You shouldn't be, because Mantha + 1st for Phaneuf is a horrible deal for the Red Wings.

It all depends on how highly you view Anthony Mantha.

A first rounder + was the asking price to RENT Cody Franson (and lesser extent Santorelli).

If you think Mantha is closer to being Martin Frk than an NHL regular then you have to consider doing this.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think that's pretty much all you can get with that weak package. People were talking about OEL level d-man. Really? WHy would anybody trade that kind of player for first rounder and AHL'er?

I'm not saying they would, but Mantha isn't regarded as just an 'AHL'er', he's one of our top prospects. He's become expendable to some people because we have Jurco, Pulkkinen, Nyquist, Tatar etc...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think that's pretty much all you can get with that weak package. People were talking about OEL level d-man. Really? WHy would anybody trade that kind of player for first rounder and AHL'er?

You realize Mantha is considered one of our top prospects, right?

It all depends on how highly you view Anthony Mantha.

A first rounder + was the asking price to RENT Cody Franson (and lesser extent Santorelli).

If you think Mantha is closer to being Martin Frk than an NHL regular then you have to consider doing this.

I don't, so I don't consider it.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
We can't trade for franchise D-man with #19 and Mantha. If #19 and Mantha can't give us Top 10 pick, we should throw in something that guarantees it.

WingsInRed

May 6, 2014
Id trade Mantha + 19 if it meant moving up to a draft spot where/when one of Provorov/Werenski were available.

And I would welcome Mantha + 19 + XX for a guy like OEL if that were ever possible.

But Phaneuf? No thanks. My big concern there is longevity. Even if he's good now, which I think he is, he simply isn't the type of player that traditionally holds up well over time. Two years from now, I think this would look really bad.

As for Buff, the concern there is retaining him. He doesn't have much reason not to test the market unless we pay market prices beforehand.

I like Mantha a lot, but the idea of reuniting Werenski and Larkin or adding OEL to our group of Swedes would definitely get him on the block for me.

We can't trade for franchise D-man with #19 and Mantha. If #19 and Mantha can't give us Top 10 pick, we should throw in something that guarantees it.

I don't know if I'd be OK giving up more than Mantha and 19 for a top 10 pick... Definitely not if Werenski/Provorov are gone. Even if they're still there though I don't know how much I'd be willing to add.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I would love Holland to trade 19, Mantha, and a plus for something like Seth Jones, OEL, New Jersey's pick (Provorov), etc., but I think all of us would. I wouldn't want to move either of these two pieces for anything less than a shot at a home run.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Has there actually been rumours that Mantha & the 1st are available in order to move up in the draft? All I've heard is that they're looking for a D-man to help now.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I would love Holland to trade 19, Mantha, and a plus for something like Seth Jones, OEL, New Jersey's pick (Provorov), etc., but I think all of us would. I wouldn't want to move either of these two pieces for anything less than a shot at a home run.

OEL and NJ's first round pick are light years apart. OEL is a proven commodity with an even higher ceiling. Draft picks are total crapshoots.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
OEL and NJ's first round pick are light years apart. OEL is a proven commodity with an even higher ceiling. Draft picks are total crapshoots.

Of course. I'm not trying to imply they'd all command the same package or that they hold equal value. OEL is probably worth more (minimally equal) than Arizona's #3 overall pick. My point is that I'd rather see Holland package assets for a high potential young guy rather than a guy over 30 signed to a huge contact for years who isn't a number one guy and not getting better.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Has there actually been rumours that Mantha & the 1st are available in order to move up in the draft? All I've heard is that they're looking for a D-man to help now.

Not sure but it's certainly a route Holland should explore if assets are on the table. Our problems in the system have consistently been no #1 C or D and a surplus a wingers - if we could somehow land Provorov these issues would be (potentially, obviously) solved with the emergence of Larkin.

It's a) an unrealistic pipe dream, and b) far from guaranteed fixes, as any 18 year old in this draft sans McEichel can easily bust, but if either of these pieces are to be moved I would want to see Holland aim to bolster the team's future rather than the immediate.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Arizona is a tire fire financially and maybe getting OEL off the books in exchange for a prospect and a prospect to be is a good deal for them?

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Arizona is a tire fire financially and maybe getting OEL off the books in exchange for a prospect and a prospect to be is a good deal for them?

As backwards as this sounds, due to the soap opera that is occurring out there (and I agree, I suspect they are completely insolvent) the Coyotes are not in a position to shed contracts.

They may have a tough time getting to the salary floor via free agency, and likely will have to take on salary in the trade market.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
For the right person (and I am not convinced that Phaneuf is the right person) I could see Mantha OR the first, but not both.

Would have to be OEL level.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
As backwards as this sounds, due to the soap opera that is occurring out there (and I agree, I suspect they are completely insolvent) the Coyotes are not in a position to shed contracts.

They may have a tough time getting to the salary floor via free agency, and likely will have to take on salary in the trade market.

We'll throw Quincey and Ericsson in the deal then too :nod:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
for OEL you trade nyquist or tatar as well intot he deal

for myers, like we should have done months ago, you offer up mantha plus the 19th

for phaneuf you offer up pulkinnen and our 1st in 2016

for big buff you offer up smith plus helm plus our 19th

if those sorts of deals cant get it done then you just go the UFA route

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
for OEL you trade nyquist or tatar as well intot he deal

for myers, like we should have done months ago, you offer up mantha plus the 19th

for phaneuf you offer up pulkinnen and our 1st in 2016

for big buff you offer up smith plus helm plus our 19th

if those sorts of deals cant get it done then you just go the UFA route

i'd go for UFA route far before the phaneuf route (and maybe never go there) but i agree. if buff is made available, i think we should go after him hard and he fits as well the description that friedman said wings are looking for. luckily he's actually pretty good puck mover and offensively, not just 'mean'.

i'm not disappointed wings didn't go after myers but if they trade mantha for phaneuf, i'll lose it. myers is younger, better and cheaper. you don't make players untouchable for him and then trade them for player with far worse contracts who is older and inferior player.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
That sounds a lot more like the Holland we know.

Yeah. This is one case in which playing it safe sounds better to me. Losing mantha for anything other than a very good relatively young D could be disastrous. werenski, provorov, hanifin, OEL, Etc. all sound great but I never see Holland meeting the price for a big piece like those guys. Which makes me far too worried about Phaneuf whom I do not want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad