Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2021 Draft Picks

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Holland is a long-time Dallas scout though. Nill didn't bring him in. You can thank Holland for Jamie Benn being a Dallas Star.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
You know what, I think you just answered my question. No way these guys have two jobs if they're being paid well. Imagine scouting for the best hockey league in the world and you still need a second job. :laugh:

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think that's the case. It's pretty common to see guys working for a Euro team. Takko has done it forever. I think he was even GM for Assat while working for Dallas.

I've seen other scouts for NHL teams listed the same way. If you think about it, you're basically getting paid by multiple teams to do the exact same level of work, and they aren't in competition for one another so it's not a big deal. It's a pretty great deal.

I don't think it's an underpaid thing ... I think it's just a good opportunity for sought after European scouts. I think I even remember Oquist did it one year.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
i do wonder.. TG's wealth is tied up in the hospitality industry. while he surely diversifies, that's the bulk of it, and covid laid waste to that sector. would anything have changed organizationally for the better if not for covid? (off ice staff)

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
i do wonder.. TG's wealth is tied up in the hospitality industry. while he surely diversifies, that's the bulk of it, and covid laid waste to that sector. would anything have changed organizationally for the better if not for covid? (off ice staff)

I know people like to point to this but if you look up the Gaglardi family’s net-worth it’s ridiculous to speculate he’s having financial trouble.

I don’t think people understand how wealthy Tom and Bob Gaglardi are.

Tom is one of the top 10 wealthiest owners in the NHL

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I know people like to point to this but if you look up the Gaglardi family’s net-worth it’s ridiculous to speculate he’s having financial trouble.

I don’t think people understand how wealthy Tom and Bob Gaglardi are
oh, i'm not pointing to it, i'm just wondering.

counter point tho... there's a reason the ultra rich stay ultra rich.. they don't throw millions down rabbit holes for entertainment. (unless you live on oil in the middle east, it seems, from the car collections i've seen o_O)

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Dude ... be grateful .... that's the largest I've even seen it if Tsybuk is a full-time Euro scout. I couldn't find the article, but I think he was working for a WHL team over here while with Dallas. He seems to have moved back to Russia because he's also going to be Director of Scouting for a KHL team.

They have Takko, Ququist, Hrdina, Johannson, and Tysbuk scouting for them. It use to be just Takko, Quist, and Hrdina.

Tsybuk was brought in the year we drafted Nichushkin. Pretty sure he was always Russia based. There was another Russia based scout that started with a P I think.. forget the name. He is gone now.

*Edit: Boris Protsenko at eliteprospects.com Found it

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I forgot about that guy. Protsenko is the one I confused with Tsybuk. Tsybuk didn't come in as a scout then because I remember the guy who was helping Nuke got the title of skills coach/development. He must have moved into scouting.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Tsybouk couldn't have been the Val helper. He was GM for Val's old Russian team the first season Nichushkin was in Dallas. He was Val's GM the year before so I wonder if they did bring him the following year for that reason.

Who was the guy that was assisting Val then?

Evgueni Tsybouk at eliteprospects.com

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Tsybouk couldn't have been the Val helper. He was GM for Val's old Russian team the first season Nichushkin was in Dallas. He was Val's GM the year before so I wonder if they did bring him the following year for that reason.

Who was the guy that was assisting Val then?

Evgueni Tsybouk at eliteprospects.com

Skills coach, and he teaches Dallas youth programs. I'm at the lake so I can't look up on the name.

That is the guy who did the translating the first season Nuke was in NA. I think Nuke also lived with him and his family for a while.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Tsybouk translates and helps Russian guys get setup but Tugolukov is their development coach.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I guess I'm a jerk ... Russian name starting with a T. When I saw the new scout, I assumed it was the same guy.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Fun fact there was also another highly acclaimed Russian development coach working for DSE and his visa expired so he had to go back to Russia to renew. Went to renew and was denied. Wife and kids were still in the US. That was years ago though can’t remember the guys name. Only know about him through Tugo

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Summerside Western Capital Justin Ertel credits parents after being drafted by NHL’s Dallas Stars | Saltwire

This might explain why Dallas jumped on Ertel early. It sounds like they had blinders on for him just like with Johnston. Also sounds like the interest in him didn't start this year. He caught their eye at St. Andrews.

McIver said the Caps were very fortunate and grateful that Ertel and his family trusted the organization in furthering his hockey career.
“There were a ton of NHL scouts at all our games (this past season),” said McIver. “The Dallas Stars were there quite often.”

Shane Turner of Charlottetown is an amateur scout with the Stars and attended a lot of Caps’ games at Eastlink Arena. He said Dallas had its eye on Ertel for a while.

“As an underage when he was in St. Andrew’s (College in Ontario), we saw him and liked the way he played,” said Turner. “He composed himself into the harder areas of the game, and he had good hands when he got there. He played with poise and patience.”

Turner said the Stars watched Ertel quite a bit in person, both at home and on the road, during the 2021-22 season. He said the organization also assessed Ertel on video and broke down a lot of tape on him as a scouting group.

Turner added there were several things the Stars like about Ertel, who went into the draft understanding he could get picked in the top three rounds or not at all.

“One of the things we rate quite highly, and you need to have the ability, of course, but Dallas likes high-character athletes,” said Turner. “The more we dug into Justin, the more things we liked about him because the kid has integrity, good values, is a good person and is a hard worker.
“You couple all of that with his hockey ability, and he became an attractive option.”

Ertel talked to the Stars leading up to the draft, and is thrilled to be part of the Dallas organization.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Summerside Western Capital Justin Ertel credits parents after being drafted by NHL’s Dallas Stars | Saltwire

This might explain why Dallas jumped on Ertel early. It sounds like they had blinders on for him just like with Johnston. Also sounds like the interest in him didn't start this year. He caught their eye at St. Andrews.

Of course they did.

Hell I'm a little past my draft year but I have good character and am nice, maybe they'll pick me next year. I'll work hard i promise

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I do appreciate that they like and value character in the draft but I hope they aren't over emphasizing it.
it's an incredibly difficult balance to strike. but you absolutely cannot ignore character and culture. it's really easy to turn a good culture sour if you don't prioritize the type of people in your organization, merely their skills.

Reactions: Dallasman

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I think 'value' is the key word there. I can't speak to how the Stars weigh character into their decisions to get hockey players, but to me that's just the very low bar of being a pro athlete. Be a decent human being, that is step 1. I'm going to guess that most of the kids we draft still suck, because they're teenagers, but so long as you aren't doing any criminal shit, or you're considered lazy, it's probably fine. There's no way you're going to get honest evaluations about their character from a bunch of people who have a vested interest in them succeeding anyway, from the coach to the parents. Obviously, there is something to be gained by vetting these kids, you wouldn't want to draft them sight unseen, but to me it's a bit like having a high school diploma to go flip burgers (I actually have no idea if you need one to do this). That doesn't make you the best candidate, it just simply makes you able to apply for the job. Sometimes with kids like Dellandrea or Faksa, I often think the stars think that 'character' and 'hard work' are going to make up for a lack of talent. It really doesn't. More talented kids work hard too.

Ertel is a different story, since at least he wasn't drafted with a hugely premium pick, although I am really tired of hearing about the great character of Stars picks. No one knows who these players are, they never say anything real, and frankly, after this last year, I don't think the NHL is in a place to judge which people are good or bad. Plenty of garbage around this league. The fact that Chicago has not absolutely cleaned house tells me everything I need to know about what the NHL judges as 'character'. That goes for Q coaching Florida, and Bergevin continuing to be a shit person in Montreal, with his ownership fully behind him. Carolina signing Tony Deangelo and saying he deserves a 'second chance', when really, it's like his 6th or 7th, etc. I am absolutely thankful that Jim Nill seems to actually be a good enough person to stay the hell away from a Tony D or a Logan Mailloux. At the end of the day, we're here cheering for these people to succeed, and there's no way I'm going to cheer for Deangelo.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Obviously, Nill values character. I believe he traded Ribs and Otter, among others, just because they complained too much to the refs, and he felt it cost them a game or two every year. So, in some ways, you can translate character into W and L, or at least estimate it.

For that matter, in a long slump, what kind of players will likely get you out of it? For a few years, it seemed as if any bad break broke the Stars. Starting with Monty (ironic, isn't it?) it seemed like they started to bounce back a lot better from a last second defeat, or even overcoming the season opening 7 game losing streak, or under Bones, rebound from the season ending 6 game losing streak to be great in the 2020 playoffs.

Some Cup teams, like NJD in the late 90's and early 2000's had some talent, but were the proverbial tough to play against type team, as was the 2019 Blues, and that is the type of team Nill is trying to build. He obviously believes in substance over flash as the best way to give a team a chance to win.

As fans, we just have to live with that, as frustrating as it is to keep avoiding top goal scoring talent draft after draft, like Raty this year. Given some of his antics, I am pretty sure he was as firmly on Nill's do not draft list as Logan Mailloux, even though we had a chance to pick up skill and "value".

The thing I took from the article that we as fans fear, and which might be correctible, is that the Stars team does seem to get focused on a few players to the seeming exclusion of all else, which doesn't seem wise to me. The draft team can't be a bunch of yes men who know they can't push a high profile pick because Nill doesn't want to hear about it.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Obviously, Nill values character. I believe he traded Ribs and Otter, among others, just because they complained too much to the refs, and he felt it cost them a game or two every year. So, in some ways, you can translate character into W and L, or at least estimate it.

For that matter, in a long slump, what kind of players will likely get you out of it? For a few years, it seemed as if any bad break broke the Stars. Starting with Monty (ironic, isn't it?) it seemed like they started to bounce back a lot better from a last second defeat, or even overcoming the season opening 7 game losing streak, or under Bones, rebound from the season ending 6 game losing streak to be great in the 2020 playoffs.

Some Cup teams, like NJD in the late 90's and early 2000's had some talent, but were the proverbial tough to play against type team, as was the 2019 Blues, and that is the type of team Nill is trying to build. He obviously believes in substance over flash as the best way to give a team a chance to win.

As fans, we just have to live with that, as frustrating as it is to keep avoiding top goal scoring talent draft after draft, like Raty this year. Given some of his antics, I am pretty sure he was as firmly on Nill's do not draft list as Logan Mailloux, even though we had a chance to pick up skill and "value".

The thing I took from the article that we as fans fear, and which might be correctible, is that the Stars team does seem to get focused on a few players to the seeming exclusion of all else, which doesn't seem wise to me. The draft team can't be a bunch of yes men who know they can't push a high profile pick because Nill doesn't want to hear about it.
Those were nieuwendyk moves

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Those were Nieuwendyk trades. Nill was announced as GM after the 2012-13 season (aka right before the rebrand) and one of his first moves was to trade for Bad Boy Tyler Seguin.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nill also signed Radulov who didn't exactly have the greatest reputation after his time in Nashville. The year with the Habs helped but still not seen as low risk .

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

As people mentioned, not only are those not Nill moves, but you might have forgotten some pretty important things about Mike Ribeiro's time here: Disturbing allegations emerge in Mike Ribeiro sexual assault lawsuit

That's on top of the drug problems he dealt with while he was here, and I think some other run ins he had with the law. Again, 'character' in the NHL is pretty fluid.

Secondly, you really want to try and build a dead puck era Devils team? Teams don't play like that anymore, it's outdated. It no longer works. St. Louis had plenty of skill for their cup run. Ryan O'Reilly, who ironically, is the player we keep trying to draft over and over in the first round, has come with his own issues. Mostly that his dad is a pain in the ass and has meddled in contract negotiations in his time in the NHL. It's why he got shipped to Buffalo in the first place. I'd also argue that team is a massive cup anomaly. All credit to St. Louis for winning the cup, but it might be one of the weaker rosters to win a cup, along with the Hurricanes that won during the beginning of the post lockout era. Here's the roster, you can judge for yourself. St. Louis Blues 2018-19 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

I don't even know what 'antics' you are talking about with Raty, Raty has not had character issues at all, he's had issues with not improving very much, or even regressing, as compared to an excellent season he had two years ago when he was considered the #1 draft pick for this draft.

On another note, I don't think the Radulov signing was that risky, at least no more than signing a guy that age can be as a UFA. All the stuff we heard about him was from his much earlier days in Nashville. There's a solid 4 years between his random end of season stint in Nashville and his time in Montreal, which is far removed from his more notorious time as a rookie. He got scratched for missing curfew with the Predators during their playoff run in 2011-12, but I think he was just playing out that year so he could get out from under the Predators owning his rights. Khudobin got in trouble for the same thing this last season I think.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
How can you mention Ryan O'Reilly without mentioning him crashing into a Tim Hortons after drinking and driving

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad