WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Is that the same as 2014?
Lot of them are the same
upload_2021-7-27_13-37-14.png

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Why weren't the Euro scouts in those photos? I know they're still on the team. McDonnell mentioned Oquist was the reason they took Albert in the 7th round.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

I want to say, through the powers of playing too much EHM, that Kolb, Powers, and Tsybouk are the names that look new. Also, Jim Lites' son is a scout/'hockey analytics coordinator'? Are you f***ing serious? lol

I miss Kari Takko, the only scout who pulled his weight for like, 5 years. Edit: Wait, Kari Takko is still here! Please give this guy more premium picks so he can get more Klingbergs and Hintzes, thank you.

Does anyone know what these guys get paid? I always assumed it was crappy compared to the amount of work they put in, but I really have no idea what it looks like nowadays.

Last edited:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Takko is still there. I'm like 90% sure. All of the Euro scouts are missing from that attachment.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Takko is still there. He's listed now as the Director of European Scouting.

Oquist must be legitimately gone now because I noticed I overlooked Hrdina. He better have not been fired. He's responsible for a ton of great picks. Maybe he got a promotion elsewhere.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Oh dang ... Pevs is a big dog now. He's in the decision-making group with Nill, White, and Janko.

I wonder if he's moving back to Dallas.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Here's the page I found with some of the scouts on it, but it's definitely formatted oddly: Scouting Staff | Dallas Stars Hockey Operations

In the section about Takko it lists the European scouts in this sentence:
Takko is responsible for both professional and amateur scouting in Europe, working closely with Director of amateur scouting, Joe McDonnell, and European scouts Rickard Oquist, Jiri Hrdina and Evgueni Tsybouk

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Oquist got moved to the Hockey Ops page. So did one of the other European scouts, Par Johansson. That's why only Hrdina is now listed as a scout. All the other guys are based in NA, but I think I remember Tsybouk splits time in Calgary and Europe.

When you read Oquist's title ... it seems like he'll be replacing Takko at some point, although Kari is only 59 years old. They'll be working closely together, and their job descriptions seem redundant.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Oh, I just noticed Tsybouk was listed in your thing above as a Euro scout. I swear I saw that he spent most of his time in Calgary.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Why weren't the Euro scouts in those photos? I know they're still on the team. McDonnell mentioned Oquist was the reason they took Albert in the 7th round.
Ya I was gonna say , that seems like an awfully short list .

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Is it just me, or does that not seem like enough guys to be covering what is essentially Finland, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, other pockets of Western Europe, and all the Russian leagues? That's a crapload of leagues to cover for so few guys. I think our scouting team is somewhere in the middle for size, though, so I'm assuming it's not unusual.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Is it just me, or does that not seem like enough guys to be covering what is essentially Finland, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, other pockets of Western Europe, and all the Russian leagues? That's a crapload of leagues to cover for so few guys. I think our scouting team is somewhere in the middle for size, though, so I'm assuming it's not unusual.
The Stars are better off firing all the Euro scouts and hiring me and @SwatKatz to watch YouTube highlight packages and monitor box scores. Maybe occasionally calling a head coach or two.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Dude ... be grateful .... that's the largest I've even seen it if Tsybuk is a full-time Euro scout. I couldn't find the article, but I think he was working for a WHL team over here while with Dallas. He seems to have moved back to Russia because he's also going to be Director of Scouting for a KHL team.

They have Takko, Ququist, Hrdina, Johannson, and Tysbuk scouting for them. It use to be just Takko, Quist, and Hrdina.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Speaking of splitting time for teams ... you gotta feel bad for Albin Eriksson. Takko is still a consultant for Assat ... he must have some major pull if he got them to bring him in. Now you're the guy someone had to call in a favor for ....

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Dude ... be grateful .... that's the largest I've even seen it if Tsybuk is a full-time Euro scout. I couldn't find the article, but I think he was working for a WHL team over here while with Dallas. He seems to have moved back to Russia because he's also going to be Director of Scouting for a KHL team.

They have Takko, Ququist, Hrdina, Johannson, and Tysbuk scouting for them. It use to be just Takko, Quist, and Hrdina.

You know what, I think you just answered my question. No way these guys have two jobs if they're being paid well. Imagine scouting for the best hockey league in the world and you still need a second job. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->