Confirmed with Link: [DAL/PHI] Tyler Pitlick for Ryan Hartman

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Pretty smart to not offer the QO.. if arbitration says he is worth 2 million/1 year.. then you are stuck with that deal.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Sounds like Hartman is still off the grid and has no idea any of this is happening :laugh:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Well that certainly didn't last long. Couldn't they have just traded Pitlick for Future considerations why the dog and pony show

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
For as much shit Nill is given here (and some of it rightfully so), I hope he gets credit for this. He either just freed up 1 million for a top FA or got a nice bottom six piece for under market value. Win win

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
We can still sign Hartman.
Sure but so could 30 other teams now too. Where's if he was Qualified then went to arbitration and it was too high the team could have walked away( assuming 3mil +) from it and he would be a UFA then.

I'd assume they don't think they're going to be able to pay him less than Janmark. Why would he take less than a player on the same team who you're better than?
The biggest thing is if you're in Hartmans shoes. a team trades for you, but says f*** your arbitration rights we're going to kick you to the curb unless you sign for what we want, because we don't value that much. Are you seriously going to consider them over any of the other teams who may now be interested even if the $ values the same?

And i'm not saying the Stars are wrong to not want to pay him a bundle, but I'd consider it a slap in the face if i was him.

I get why he wasn't qualified, just seems like it would have made more sense to dump Pitlick or if they really needed that tiny bit of extra cap space. Buyout Nichushkin instead (or Cogliano) or Bury them in the minors so they free up a mil from the cap that way.

Last edited:

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Well that certainly didn't last long. Couldn't they have just traded Pitlick for Future considerations why the dog and pony show

This was my thought as well. I can't find a good reason other than "why not?" for Hartman being included in the deal.

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
Hartmen would be our best bottom six guy besides Faska. We can’t sign Hartman because we have to many scrubs making lots of money.

And peolle want to give Nill praise for this move ? LMFAO

Reactions: Smelling Salt

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Sure but so could 30 other teams now too. Where's if he was Qualified then went to arbitration and it was too high the team could have walked away( assuming 3mil +) from it and he would be a UFA then.

I'd assume they don't think they're going to be able to pay him less than Janmark. Why would he take less than a player on the same team who you're better than?
The biggest thing is if you're in Hartmans shoes. a team trades for you, but says **** your arbitration rights we're going to kick you to the curb unless you sign for what we want, because we don't value that much. Are you seriously going to consider them over any of the other teams who may now be interested even if the $ values the same?

And i'm not saying the Stars are wrong to not want to pay him a bundle, but I'd consider it a slap in the face if i was him.

I get why he wasn't qualified, just seems like it would have made more sense to dump Pitlick or if they really needed that tiny bit of extra cap space. Buyout Nichushkin instead (or Cogliano) or Bury them in the minors so they free up a mil from the cap that way.

They can only walk away if the award exceeds a certain amount - $3.5M in 13/14 and it goes up proportionately to average league salary. So chances are they would be stuck with whatever contract he gets.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
They can only walk away if the award exceeds a certain amount - $3.5M in 13/14 and it goes up proportionately to average league salary. So chances are they would be stuck with whatever contract he gets.
ok so I was off by 500-700k But it doesn't matter, hartman is not going to get 3+ mil anyway.
2.5 at the most based on comparables

Last edited:

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
ok so I was off by 5-700k But it doesn't matter, hartman is not going to get 3+ mil anyway.
2.5 at the most based on comparables

Should have signed him, better then whatbwe have...

Cogs, Yanny, Nuke, Comou, Bearded broken man all makes close to 15 million for those scrubs

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Should have signed him, better then whatbwe have...

Cogs, Yanny, Nuke, Comou, Bearded broken man all makes close to 15 million for those scrubs
yeah I don't understand not qualifying him so you can control, something like 80% of cases don't actually make it to the arbiter anyway, I get not wanting to pay him much, but they can't seriously think that they have a better shot to sign him than lets call it 29 other teams (vegas doesn't have the capspace) after saying we didn't qualify you so you couldn't go to arbitration.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
While I think Guri needs to be given an honest shot, call me crazy but I'd rather have Hartman on the roster. He's better at hockey.

Reactions: M88K

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Hartmen would be our best bottom six guy besides Faska. We can’t sign Hartman because we have to many scrubs making lots of money.

And peolle want to give Nill praise for this move ? LMFAO

Yes. Because it’s a good trade either way. It’s a good hockey player or cap space for a better one. It’s a small step in the right direction. Are you guys so dead set to criticize him that you flat out ignore the positives?

Reactions: Kipper 17

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Yes. Because it’s a good trade either way. It’s a good hockey player or cap space for a better one. It’s a small step in the right direction. Are you guys so dead set to criticize him that you flat out ignore the positives?

It's because people don't understand Nill's moves. When he signed Pitlick, everyone thought it was to improve the play on the ice, not recoup cap space later on. Silly Stars fans.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It's because people don't understand Nill's moves. When he signed Pitlick, everyone thought it was to improve the play on the ice, not recoup cap space later on. Silly Stars fans.

...he did that for two out of three years of his contract. Players get traded sometimes. The trade was an improvement on pitlick for possibly more salary. On the other hand, if he doesn’t sign here, it’s more money to throw at a Duchene or whoever. Why is this being spun as a bad thing? Am I missing something?

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
...he did that for two out of three years of his contract. Players get traded sometimes. The trade was an improvement on pitlick for possibly more salary. On the other hand, if he doesn’t sign here, it’s more money to throw at a Duchene or whoever. Why is this being spun as a bad thing? Am I missing something?

Well I'm onboard. Just bought the jersey of our new acquisition. I'm stoked. :P

vsc9qx.jpg

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Because it was dumb.
1mil in capspace, it's not as if he dumped Hanzal.
1 mil that could have easily been freed up by burying a contract (Nichushkin, Cogliano)
He made a move to improve the team, one of the rare times his trades actually improves the team (Zucc being another) and the first thing he does is free the player out of any team obligation because he suddenly wants to get cheap.
He could have been cheap and not adding waste of spaces like Oleksiak, and Cogliano.
Or not signed Hanzal, which everyone knew was dumb from day 1, or not give Nichushkin 3mil, or not qualify Janmark, etc
He could dump Hanzal, he could Buyout Nichushkin to create cap space.
All of those make significantly more sense than; Hey we got a player who be our 6 best forward, sad as that is to say, but we want to low-ball him so we're going to expose him to every other team in the league in hopes that he signs with us. if not "i'm happy" with the same crappy depth i rolled out last year.

He didn't add a million in capspace, he could have done that by sending Pitlick to the AHL, it would literally have the same effect, we're not encroaching the 50 contract limit at all.
This isn't a case of addition by subtraction, as bad as Pitlick is, he wasn't a problem that needed to be traded away.
All this does is take away an NHL caliber player from the roster (Pitlick or Hartman) to either replace with a scrub from Texas (Dowling, Gurianov, L'Esperance, etc) or another useless vet to take up the exact same role.

Last edited:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

The biggest thing is if you're in Hartmans shoes. a team trades for you, but says **** your arbitration rights we're going to kick you to the curb unless you sign for what we want, because we don't value that much. Are you seriously going to consider them over any of the other teams who may now be interested even if the $ values the same?

Hartman isn't going to get an arb decision over the walkaway limit so Dallas would be stuck with the $2,25+mil Hartman would probably get from arb. That is not a smart move.

Janmark was literally signed to his QO (It's a shame it was so high, but that's life) and I bet he will be traded before the season starts anyway so that won't be a point to get hung up on.

Also if he looks at the scrubs in the bottom six, I bet he will feel like he has a good chance to get 3rd line minutes here.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Hartman isn't going to get an arb decision over the walkaway limit so Dallas would be stuck with the $2,25+mil Hartman would probably get from arb. That is not a smart move.

Janmark was literally signed to his QO (It's a shame it was so high, but that's life) and I bet he will be traded before the season starts anyway so that won't be a point to get hung up on.

Also if he looks at the scrubs in the bottom six, I bet he will feel like he has a good chance to get 3rd line minutes here.
He's dumb if he signs here after this though, or literally means he has no other options(highly unlikely).
Hartman is better than Janmark, he also doesn't have OCD and and isn't a risk to miss extended time due to complications from it.
By logic of Cap-space offering Janmark a QO was stupid.
It's even more dumb that they'll give a better player UFA status because he might get paid the same as the lesser player.

There's no logic in not qualifying Hartman.
Lets put it another way.

The team gives him his QO.
They sign Duchene to 9mil.
an arbiter awards Hartman 2.5mil.
We're "over the cap" (although you can use LTIR in the offseason and Hanzal would definitely count), but we're over the cap now.
We get a 2nd buyout period immediately following the arbitration settlement and can then buyout Nichushkin(or Cogliano) to make the necessary space.
now we're back under the cap. (not to mention burying a million in the AHL even)

there's nothing smart about the decision to trade for a player that makes the team better, but decide to turn around and basically walk away from them for no reason.
I don't buy the Cap space crap, because it takes no effort to create that minuscule amount of space.

This is another bad move by Nill in a extremely long list of bad moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad