Confirmed with Link: [DAL/PHI] Tyler Pitlick for Ryan Hartman

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
He's dumb if he signs here after this though, or literally means he has no other options(highly unlikely).
Hartman is better than Janmark, he also doesn't have OCD and and isn't a risk to miss extended time due to complications from it.
By logic of Cap-space offering Janmark a QO was stupid.
It's even more dumb that they'll give a better player UFA status because he might get paid the same as the lesser player.

There's no logic in not qualifying Hartman.
Lets put it another way.

The team gives him his QO.
They sign Duchene to 9mil.
an arbiter awards Hartman 2.5mil.
We're "over the cap" (although you can use LTIR in the offseason and Hanzal would definitely count), but we're over the cap now.
We get a 2nd buyout period immediately following the arbitration settlement and can then buyout Nichushkin(or Cogliano) to make the necessary space.
now we're back under the cap. (not to mention burying a million in the AHL even)

there's nothing smart about the decision to trade for a player that makes the team better, but decide to turn around and basically walk away from them for no reason.
I don't buy the Cap space crap, because it takes no effort to create that minuscule amount of space.

This is another bad move by Nill in a extremely long list of bad moves.

One could define the Janmark QO as dumb, but he does hold value so it would have been twice as dumb to let him go for nothing.

I think we can both agree that the team should not sign more $2.5-3mil bottom sixers, rather get rid of the existing ones if possible and then perhaps add players in the $1.5mil range or if enough pieces can be moved out, only then sign better & younger options (like Hartman) to those high-ish bottom six contracts.

Either way, Hartman non-QO can't be put in the dumb category, there are dozens of similar options out there as UFA and other non-QO UFA-to-be.
[Granlund, Åberg, Andrighetto, Cousins to name a few]

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
For my best knowledge about the situation this makes sense if Pitlick (or any other comparable Dal forward) didn't have any market demand. Then Nill pulled this move to move one bottom contract out and have chance to sign little bit better player for that money.

Or they want Hartman for some reason and are confident that no one will offer him anything close to what arb would have given him so in the end they will be able to sign him for cheaper.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Couldn't we have just bought out Val and let Hartman take that money? It's not like Hartman was going to get more than Val's $2.95.

Now watch, we'll lose Hartman and resign Ritchie :sarcasm:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I ... uh ... I don't think you're allowed to say that. We are supposed to assume Gurianov is a bunch of NHL ice time away from scoring 25 goals.

I think most here are still very skeptical of Guri...Lord knows I've been harsh on him in the past.

But for most part, I think we saw his skating ability/raw talent on a display a bit for those 20ish games last season and were a little intrigued. I still think he may lack a tool box...but I also don't want to see any potential wasted by poor usage and ice time. Then again, when I look at the roster it may get complicated for him if the Stars pick up a forward or two or have another young guy surprise. He needs to come out firing on all cylinders, otherwise he may as well prepare his body for Cedar Park or worse, nacho time.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think most here are still very skeptical of Guri...Lord knows I've been harsh on him in the past.

But for most part, I think we saw his skating ability/raw talent on a display a bit for those 20ish games last season and were a little intrigued. I still think he may lack a tool box...but I also don't want to see any potential wasted by poor usage and ice time. Then again, when I look at the roster it may get complicated for him if the Stars pick up a forward or two or have another young guy surprise. He needs to come out firing on all cylinders, otherwise he may as well prepare his body for Cedar Park or worse, nacho time.
That's the big gamble, and I don't think there's a good answer. If Nill adds a couple of quality forwards, then Gurianov is out of a spot, which keeps him from being able to show what he can do. On the other hand, if Nill passes on adding a free agent because he pencils Gurianov in as a second liner, we risk the problem last season when Nill did the exact same thing with his prior Russian draft pick.

P.S. I was more crapping on the facebook and other Stars fans who think every Stars player under 23 is only a bump in ice time away from stardom.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's the big gamble, and I don't think there's a good answer. If Nill adds a couple of quality forwards, then Gurianov is out of a spot, which keeps him from being able to show what he can do. On the other hand, if Nill passes on adding a free agent because he pencils Gurianov in as a second liner, we risk the problem last season when Nill did the exact same thing with his prior Russian draft pick.

P.S. I was more crapping on the facebook and other Stars fans who think every Stars player under 23 is only a bump in ice time away from stardom.

#FreeHonka

Reactions: gentleman scholar

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill seems to have drafted for size and speed with little regard to actual offensive results at lower levels. None of Val, Rope, Tufte, Dickenson (who did have 27 one year in juniors), or DG was ever a big goal scorer in juniors, certainly not like Robertson. Even Ty Dellandria is more known for speed and tenacity than actual scoring.

Why he thought/thinks that they will somehow convert to that type of player at the NHL level has baffled me. In most cases, 40 goal scorers in junior become 20-30 goal scorers at AHL level, and then 10-15 goal scorers in the NHL, as goalies and D get better. Not the other way around, where a speedy but low scoring forward suddenly develops scoring touch among better competition.

Really, it seems like every first round (save Miro and maybe Ottenger) pick was more of a "project" type player, or guaranteed third liner at best, and best selected from the third round on.

Hintz looks like he might turn into that, but in reality, most of his highlights were high speed end to end rushes, and very few actually resulted in goals. I feel like Guri will be the same. And, rookie year, Val was about that highlight reel rush just to put the puck in the goalies pads.

No wonder we struggle on offense......

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Depends upon whom Nill adds as forwards. Assuming it's two top-six guys, then Gury starts on line 3 with Dickinson (where he belongs) and Faksa. Nothing really bad, IMO. Earn your spot if you must.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You just know those fans are going to run flooding to social media each time Honka puts up his monthly assist.

If there is justice in this world, we're due. LA got Jack Campbell and we got Ebert.

Seriously though, we've talked a lot about a draft pick type trade for Honka, but I think I'd honestly prefer a reclamation project. It's just as much a gamble as a draft pick.

I know the idea about Puljujarvi was floated. I don't think that's realistic. I love the idea. I think Dallas would get the better player. I just have a hard time that despite how much Puljujarvi has struggled, he's anywhere close in value to Honka.

The only thing that gives me a moderate amount of hope is according to Detroit beat writers around the trade deadline, they were interested in Honka. I'm hoping that their GM was the one who felt that way.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
If there is justice in this world, we're due. LA got Jack Campbell and we got Ebert.

Seriously though, we've talked a lot about a draft pick type trade for Honka, but I think I'd honestly prefer a reclamation project. It's just as much a gamble as a draft pick.

I know the idea about Puljujarvi was floated. I don't think that's realistic. I love the idea. I think Dallas would get the better player. I just have a hard time that despite how much Puljujarvi has struggled, he's anywhere close in value to Honka.

The only thing that gives me a moderate amount of hope is according to Detroit beat writers around the trade deadline, they were interested in Honka. I'm hoping that their GM was the one who felt that way.

They're probably nearly identical in value.

Honka being a RHD and his AHL career help level his value out to Puljujarvi's with everyone being aware Pulju wants out. Honka has been quiet and professional through his whole ordeal which bodes well for him getting a 2nd chance somewhere else.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Absolutely agree there's reason to be positive. I just didn't have a good feeling about it. I'd love, love for it to happen though. It's probably me just trying to not set myself up for disappointment.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Absolutely agree there's reason to be positive. I just didn't have a good feeling about it. I'd love, love for it to happen though. It's probably me just trying to not set myself up for disappointment.

Well you're a Stars fan, G. Disappointment comes with the territory.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Well you're a Stars fan, G. Disappointment comes with the territory.

Somewhere around the Glennie pick and his development, I started to become a little numb. Maybe it was Campbell though too. Although the Campbell pick did get a guy fired IIRC so that wasn't all bad. Maybe ________ will remember the details, but there was some controversy and the guy running the draft was let go within months or the next year.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
They're probably nearly identical in value.

Honka being a RHD and his AHL career help level his value out to Puljujarvi's with everyone being aware Pulju wants out. Honka has been quiet and professional through his whole ordeal which bodes well for him getting a 2nd chance somewhere else.

Would Ho-Sang be realistic at all? I would like to kick the tires on a guy with some offensive potential and he fits the bill.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Would Ho-Sang be realistic at all? I would like to kick the tires on a guy with some offensive potential and he fits the bill.

It's unrealistic in the sense that Nill wouldn't take on a personality project like that. Ho-Sang has attitude issues and that's something Nill won't put in the locker room.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I mentioned him at the TDL. If I was just guessing, the value there is closer than Puljujarvi. Like I said, give me Puljujarvi every day, but Ho-Sang feels at least more realistic ... especially with the Islanders apparently shopping D to save cap space. I've seen Leddy and Hickey mentioned. That could put them in the market for a cheap D, and they have a guy that needs a change of scenery too.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's unrealistic in the sense that Nill wouldn't take on a personality project like that. Ho-Sang has attitude issues and that's something Nill won't put in the locker room.

I totally agree from that perspective it makes it unlikely. I do think the value is closer though.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I might be thinking of the wrong guy, but I’m pretty sure it was reported that the Stars had some pretty bad issues with his attitude after their interview with him in his draft year.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think Nill and the scouts frame of thinking is it’s hard for teams to find good offensive players outside of the 2nd round so in those rounds they try to find players that will be able to fill depth roles. For example last years;

Oscar Back vs Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Back looks like he’ll be a bottom six player if he makes it. He’s got size, good skating, can play a defensive role. SDA has got hands and vision, but he’s small and slow. They both hit their ceiling and you’d way rather have SDA on your team. However, Back is likely the better bet to make the NHL due to his high floor. A fourth liner isn’t much, but it’s better than nothing.

I’m not saying I agree with this method, but I think that’s how the scouts go about it. They do take risks like Mascherin which I wish they did more. Lots of scouts and teams have similar methods which is why guys like Gaudreau and Point slip down to the lower rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad