Confirmed with Link: [DAL/PHI] Tyler Pitlick for Ryan Hartman

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I mean Hartman is bottom 6 depth. Most the people we have coming up are more of a top 9 type player.

Gotta wonder if we are just going to load up with a defensive/grinding bottom six and give someone like Gurianov a top six shot?

Gurianov - Seguin - Radulov
Benn - Hintz - XXX
Cogliano - Faksa - Hartman
Nichushkin - Dickinson - Comeau

I don’t hate it depending on which forward we bring in.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Gotta wonder if we are just going to load up with a defensive/grinding bottom six and give someone like Gurianov a top six shot?

Gurianov - Seguin - Radulov
Benn - Hintz - XXX
Cogliano - Faksa - Hartman
Nichushkin - Dickinson - Comeau

I don’t hate it depending on which forward we bring in.

99% sure Gurianov will play with Hintz. They played great together in the AHL and have good line chemistry.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Gurianov still has to earn a spot on the roster, much less in the top 6.
Just kind of projecting, he's the most cost effecting top 9 option. It's not like he played terrible in his callup last year, and doesn't really have anything else to prove in the AHL. He shouldn't be handed a spot on the top 6, but if he can play up top and help spread out the big guys I'm for it

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
As a Flyers fan, I can say that this hit, was pretty much all he did for us in his short time here. I really don't care to lose him. Pitlick is cheap and can kill penalties? That's good for us

Pitlick is awful defensively. Somehow took a massive step back this season and was a complete liability

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I actually really like this trade. Not only is Hartman better than Pitlick at everything, he's younger, and also probably (hopefully!) A Ritchie replacement as well

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It’s a good rehabilitation project. At end of season, Hartman may actually have some value but Pitlick will still just be a guy

Reactions: Kcb12345

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I like this trade actually. Hartman replaces both Ritchie and Pitlick. I liked Pitlick, but hes always hurt

Maybe Hartman will turn into a Roussel player for us.

Did anyone else see the tweet in the trade forum where Hartman left June 21 and is off the grid for a week haha. No clue he's even traded

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I Don't know why, but Hartman gives me the feeling that in 20 years when retired guys start telling stories, theres gonna be some good ones about Ryan Hartman.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Gurianov still has to earn a spot on the roster, much less in the top 6.

With the salary cap situation and not buying out Nichushkin, they will have to use ELC forwards if they sign/trade for a Top 4 D. If they sign a Top 6 forward, they'll have to move out a bad contract and replace him with an ELC.

One of those guys will likely end up being guaranteed a spot, but I agree hopefully they play well enough to earn it.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I hope this isn’t Nill’s answer to solving our secondary scoring problems, but... in a vacuum, acquiring another Dickinson type (i.e. 6th/7th/8th type forward) while giving up only a 4th liner / healthy scratch is a good move.

</ positive comment generator >

Reactions: eartotheground

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Sean already reported that Gurianov would have been on the roster at the end of last season but they didn't have the cap space to do it.

If he was good enough, they would've found a way.

Maybe he'll impress me in training camp, but nothing I saw during his time with Dallas said that he's worthy of a top 6 spot. Yes, he's fast, but he has to do something with that speed.

I'm hoping he does. It's the best thing for him and the team. But I'm still hesitant to consider Hintz a permanent solution, much less Gurianov.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If he was good enough, they would've found a way.

Maybe he'll impress me in training camp, but nothing I saw during his time with Dallas said that he's worthy of a top 6 spot. Yes, he's fast, but he has to do something with that speed.

I'm hoping he does. It's the best thing for him and the team. But I'm still hesitant to consider Hintz a permanent solution, much less Gurianov.

When in agreement about him needing to prove it, but that's not realistic that they could have just found a way. The cap is a limited number and they had multiple injuries and were stretched to the end of LTIR. It's extremely common for cap teams to not be able to call up a player they want because there isn't a financial solution. It hasn't happened in Dallas because most of the cap era Dallas hasn't been a spend to the cap team. They've almost always had an internal budget.

I can specifically remember some teams (I want to say Detroit or Chicago) several years ago playing cap gymnastics by sending guys down on non-game days, and I think it was Philly ... but someone played with less than 18 skaters in a game.

You can't product space out of thin air so they went with the guy that had a significantly smaller cap hit without all of the bonuses.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
When in agreement about him needing to prove it, but that's not realistic that they could have just found a way. The cap is a limited number and they had multiple injuries and were stretched to the end of LTIR. It's extremely common for cap teams to not be able to call up a player they want because there isn't a financial solution. It hasn't happened in Dallas because most of the cap era Dallas hasn't been a spend to the cap team. They've almost always had an internal budget.

I can specifically remember some teams (I want to say Detroit or Chicago) several years ago playing cap gymnastics by sending guys down on non-game days, and I think it was Philly ... but someone played with less than 18 skaters in a game.

You can't product space out of thin air so they went with the guy that had a significantly smaller cap hit without all of the bonuses.

I thought the cap didn't apply in the playoffs? Or are we only referencing the end of the season?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Deck Chairs, meet the Titanic?

I'm not seeing how this applies at all.

Hartman is a risk and a minor move, but this entire board has been bemoaning secondary scoring. They had 8 forwards play more than 50 games and scored less than 10 goals. 1 guy scored 0 goals playing almost 60 games. They were one of the worst scoring teams in the league, and they added a guy who scored 19,11, and 12 goals in his first 3 seasons for a 13th forward who can't stay healthy.

They improved the team by taking a risk. Shuffling the deck chairs would be adding a guy with no offensive ability to the multitude of guys who can't score or provide offense. They're not going to solve the problem with 1 guy, but this is the exact type of move to start that process. They moved out an unproductive injury prone guy for one with moderate goal scoring ability and a bit of risk because of his exuberant play. I just hope he can turn his career into what Roussel did late in his Dallas career finding that line not to cross, and I hope that he's not Garbutt who is Ivy League educated but can't figure out when not to take a dumb penalty.

Fixing the goal scoring is more than just adding to the Top 6. You have to have productive depth players which Dallas does not. This was totally a step in the right to direction to try and correct that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I thought the cap didn't apply in the playoffs? Or are we only referencing the end of the season?

It was the end of the season. Shapiro didn't pinpoint it specifically, but it appears to be when Dowling was called up because L'Esperance wasn't cutting it.

I don't think Dowling is the key to anything, but he played well enough going into the playoffs and during the playoffs in limited minutes to not justify yanking him out of the lineup.

I didn't entirely agree with his usage, but he wasn't hindering the team which is a huge plus considering many of the depth forwards in Dallas last year. Plus Spezza found a new gear when they added him to the lineup.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It was the end of the season. Shapiro didn't pinpoint it specifically, but it appears to be when Dowling was called up because L'Esperance wasn't cutting it.

I don't think Dowling is the key to anything, but he played well enough going into the playoffs and during the playoffs in limited minutes to not justify yanking him out of the lineup.

I didn't entirely agree with his usage, but he wasn't hindering the team which is a huge plus considering many of the depth forwards in Dallas last year. Plus Spezza found a new gear when they added him to the lineup.

Fair enough. If Gurianov was good enough, he should've been able to fairly easily force Dowling out of the line-up.

He's still young and has room to grow, but I'm not going to expect him to make the roster until he proves otherwise.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
All you can really say is they potentially improved the team by taking a risk. Time will tell. He scored 12 goals. A year ago Pitlick had 18, but got injured a lot this year. His first year hear he was pretty good depth scoring. I think you will find nearly every player varies in how many goals they score year to year. A "20 goal scorer" is more likely to have seasons of 15 and 25, etc.

This team needs to add about a goal a game, IMHO. That would put them second in the league, as they were in 2015. Half a goal a game gets them to 12th in the NHL (based on last years stats). Yeah, you might not get all 40 of those from a Panarin, and 12 more is better than none.

IMHO, Nill got younger, a bit cheaper, maybe more coach friendly (Pitlick not a Monty guy maybe?) and probably a bit tougher, again, IMHO, a response to seeing STL win the Cup with a banging style. Adding one 3/4th line bruiser doesn't directly solve this teams problems. For more goal scoring, I fear it will come from the dreaded "internal improvement". Seems like Nill makes big splashes in alternate years (according probably to cap money) With the reduced cap, I can see him going for less expensive UFA (Nyquist maybe) rather than the big fish.

And, honestly, not sure getting 35 goals from the breadman for $10M is much better than 20 goals from Nyquist for half that, and filling in the other 20 goals needed with the Harman's of the world, which I think may be your point.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Sean already reported that Gurianov would have been on the roster at the end of last season but they didn't have the cap space to do it.
That kind of thing is why buying out Nichushkin is the smart thing to do. It doesn’t save a lot of cap room, but every little bit can help late in a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad