MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Did we ?

Lindell-Klingberg
Methot-Johns
Miro-Honka/Polak
Polak/Honka

looked absolutely fine . Everybody was , rightfully so , screaming about how he needed better forwards. Defense is absolutely fine . Miro was to be eased in and probably used with Johns when Methot was to sit out. I don't see the problem.

That looks adequate to you? You must have low standards

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Off topic, but on topic

Lovejoy leads all D in shots allowed on the penalty kill and has the 3rd highest avg time on the penalty kill

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
What bothers me about this trade is that the team was so desperate for a player like Lovejoy that they overpaid. A 3rd round pick isn't anything really but Lovejoy is overmatched against good opponents that have any speed or skill down their line-up. And he's like Comeau or Cogliano where he has to be perfect on defense because he's an absolute zero on offense.

And Lovejoy isn't the type of "character" the team needs. He's dull as shit and a fringe player so he'll have no influence over anyone. His play on the ice is literally all you get and that's pretty depressing.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
This team plays turtle shell hockey 95% of the time because we have a bunch of defensemen with cement for hands. The team is garbage in transition and Johns and Methot would be no better or worse than Polak/Oleksiak/Lovejoy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What bothers me about this trade is that the team was so desperate for a player like Lovejoy that they overpaid. A 3rd round pick isn't anything really but Lovejoy is overmatched against good opponents that have any speed or skill down their line-up. And he's like Comeau or Cogliano where he has to be perfect on defense because he's an absolute zero on offense.

And Lovejoy isn't the type of "character" the team needs. He's dull as **** and a fringe player so he'll have no influence over anyone. His play on the ice is literally all you get and that's pretty depressing.

It looked like Lovejoy and McQuaid had been the best available defense on the market. Means prices are sky high even for meh defenseman. I don't mind giving up a third that much.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

And Lovejoy isn't the type of "character" the team needs. He's dull as **** and a fringe player so he'll have no influence over anyone. His play on the ice is literally all you get and that's pretty depressing.

It's not a bad deal, we have an inexperienced D corps. Adding a solid bottom Dman with experience isnt terrible

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This team plays turtle shell hockey 95% of the time because we have a bunch of defensemen with cement for hands. The team is garbage in transition and Johns and Methot would be no better or worse than Polak/Oleksiak/Lovejoy.

I remember Johns beeing a reasonable puck mover and his advanced stats back that up. Methot is basically a better version of Polak i agree.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It looked like Lovejoy and McQuaid had been the best available defense on the market. Means prices are sky high even for meh defenseman. I don't mind giving up a third that much.

That's the thing, they had to add somebody so they were at the mercy of the sellers market, and it reamed them hard.

It's not a bad deal, we have an inexperienced D corps. Adding a solid bottom Dman with experience isnt terrible

If he were solid I would be inclined to agree with you.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm with BigG here. This is fine.

A 3rd round pick is really nothing, especially with the generally poor drafting squad we have.

Lovejoy is Polak 2.0, maybe even a bit better. Is a he a top 4 D? No, but he's a quality number 5 who's great on the PK. He's been on some deep playoff runs and is a trusted leader in the locker room. Carrick was moved simply to make room on the 23-man roster for him. Looking at this as a 3rd and 7th for Lovejoy. That's fine, it certainly doesn't "mortgage the future" or anything, and no one who's reasonable is going to mourn the loss of those picks, especially with Nill at the helm.

Jensen was really the only better defender available, and he's at best a #4. He cost a decent prospect and a 2nd. Honka + DAL 2nd doesn't beat Bowey + WSH 2nd, and I don't think adding another asset for Jensen would've been worth it. McQuaid wouldn't have been as good of a fit compared to Lovejoy, IMO.

It seems like Lindell and Polak are the only ones trusted on the PK. Adding another guy to that is great - allows them to rest more going into the playoffs. We've got plenty of offense coming from the blue-line as is, and I think everyone's content with the top 3. No need to really break the bank and go all in on defense when forwards are much more of a need. The defense is also bigger and more physical now than it was before, which as stated, is what we all wanted it to be with Methot and Johns.

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Lovejoy
Oleksiak - Polak
Fedun

That's fine with me. Everyone has a clear role that we should feel confident in them fulfilling. No one is asked to do too much. Fedun is clearly a capable defender if someone does get injured.

To successfully replenish the defense after two season-ending injuries for a 3rd, a 4th, and 2 7ths seems pretty shrewd if you ask me.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Carrick won't meet the 50 games played condition on that 7th now, so it's kind of like Lovejoy and a 7th for a 3rd but not really.

I forgot there was a condition on his pick as well. Just a 7th, but still a tad better.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It would have upgraded to a 6th had he fulfilled the condition, it's a 7th as is.

Got it, thanks for the clarification. I didn't bother to check up on that.

Point still stands that these are pretty much nothing assets anyway.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If you waste $5 it doesn't feel as bad as if you waste $5000 but you still probably shouldn't be wasting your money.

I don't know if you still enjoyed what you purchased for the $5 even if you overpaid to get it ( say an expensive icecream or whatever ) are you really mad about it ?

Although Lovejoy is more like buying an overpriced loaf of bread or something that you needed to get and only the luxury store was open to get it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
im sure theres a home repair analogy out there to compare spending a 3rd on Lovejoy (which really isnt anything) or staying pat at D

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston

fwiw i voted no

Slamming that no button

I don't know if you still enjoyed what you purchased for the $5 even if you overpaid to get it ( say an expensive icecream or whatever ) are you really mad about it ?

Although Lovejoy is more like buying an overpriced loaf of bread or something that you needed to get and only the luxury store was open to get it.

I think it's like being forced to pay a fee you could have easily avoided with some better planning or awareness.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Slamming that no button

I think it's like being forced to pay a fee you could have easily avoided with some better planning or awareness.

Planning for two season ending injuries ? Outside of Muzzin no defenseman of notice was moved this year at all.

Its an expensive band-aid i agree but its better than keeping the gushing wound open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad