Confirmed with Link: [DAL/NJ] Connor Carrick, 2019 DAL 3rd for Ben Jovejoy

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah I'd a preferred they did nothing and waive the spares. It wasn't a major need, getting fedun out of the lineup. Getting Polak down the lineup was and still is the biggest problem on the blue line.
Lovejoy doesn't help that And we have less and less options at forward, the real need, because he's pissing away space on more garbage players. But hey instead of having 3 #6 defenseman in the lineup we'll now have.... 3#6 defenseman in the lineup. Guess that is an improvement somehow

Our coaching staff didn't trust our spares to play a single minute and the Stars needed someone they could dress in case of injury. Polak and Klingberg are banged up . What if they can't go ? The coaching staff clearly doesn't want to dress Carrick or Honka . You can't leave it like that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Shapiro added some clarity that made sense: Where the Stars stand after trading for Ben Lovejoy and what...

Polak injury scare puts into perspective how unsettled the situation is on D. Shapiro doubled down on the idea that the coaching staff were just not going to play Carrick or Honka, and he hinted that some D may have been playing through injuries because of the coaching staff's lack of trust.

He also pointed out that if there was an injury, prior to this trade, they probably would have played AHLers over Honka. He said they need to get Honka out of here.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
And that had been the case for years yet Nill won't trade or waive him so it doesn't make a difference.
And they should play Ahlers over Honka, bayreuther and Hanley are both better than Honka, currently. Id take Gleason over him too

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Shapiro added some clarity that made sense: Where the Stars stand after trading for Ben Lovejoy and what...

Polak injury scare puts into perspective how unsettled the situation is on D. Shapiro doubled down on the idea that the coaching staff were just not going to play Carrick or Honka, and he hinted that some D may have been playing through injuries because of the coaching staff's lack of trust.

He also pointed out that if there was an injury, prior to this trade, they probably would have played AHLers over Honka. He said they need to get Honka out of here.

The article also has Nill saying he’s got 7-8 primary forwards that he’s focused on.

With that many guys, i’d assume it’s because Nill is attempting to get two forwards?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The article also has Nill saying he’s got 7-8 primary forwards that he’s focused on.

With that many guys, i’d assume it’s because Nill is attempting to get two forwards?

He also specifically says "add to our forward group" and not "add a forward" which has me thinking he's looking for more than 1

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yeah we're going to get carter and brassard. Two players who are damn near useless , but won't cost us one of our scrub prospects that Nill has made untouchable. We hopefully miss the playoffs then the next regime has to work extra hard to right all his f*** ups

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Yeah we're going to get carter and brassard. Two players who are damn near useless , but won't cost us one of our scrub prospects that Nill has made untouchable. We hopefully miss the playoffs then the next regime has to work extra hard to right all his **** ups

Not even Nill is that dumb. There’s absolutely no room for two centers on this roster. I’m willing to bet my house on that not happening.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Not even Nill is that dumb. There’s absolutely no room for two centers on this roster. I’m willing to bet my house on that not happening.
Really the guy that signed hanzal, Gonchar, Hemsky, Comeau, polak traded for a massively overpaid oleksiak, let Neimi, Ruff and Lehtonen waste an entire season isn't that dumb.. You're underestimating him

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Polak has clearly proven he was worth the $1.3 million as well. It is OK and even pretty reasonable to acknowledge that the team and Nill could do better and still acknowledge they aren't completely useless.
You're mis-associating pay to usage. Coming into this season we needed a top4 guy, potential 2 as Miro was a wildcard. His answer was to sign Polak. After letting a much better but slightly more expensive Hamhuis walk. All the while here we are almost a year later and he's brought in Oleksiak and Lovejoy because he can't see the teams issues clearly enough to actually fill the holes we have. Signing Polak was dumb. He's a #6 we use as a #4, and Nill solution to that problem. was to add 2 more #6 defenseman.

He's worth the 1mil we paid. He wasn't and still isn't the player we needed to add. Nill just doubles and triples down on dumb

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Really the guy that signed hanzal, Gonchar, Hemsky, Comeau, polak traded for a massively overpaid oleksiak, let Neimi, Ruff and Lehtonen waste an entire season isn't that dumb.. You're underestimating him

Don’t know why Hemsky, and Polak are there. I’d even go as far as to say Gonchar as well. He had a good 1st year and helped Val be productive durong his rookie year. Once Gonchar started to slow down in his second year, he was moved out.

I think you just really hate Nill and it’s not me underestimating him. Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on how bad Nill has been.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Don’t know why Hemsky, and Polak are there. I’d even go as far as to say Gonchar as well. He had a good 1st year and helped Val be productive durong his rookie year. Once Gonchar started to slow down in his second year, he was moved out.

I think you just really hate Nill and it’s not me underestimating him. Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on how bad Nill has been.
Yes 5mil for a bad player is just sound decision making. It is after all how we ended up with Hanzal

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You're mis-associating pay to usage. Coming into this season we needed a top4 guy, potential 2 as Miro was a wildcard. His answer was to sign Polak. After letting a much better but slightly more expensive Hamhuis walk. All the while here we are almost a year later and he's brought in Oleksiak and Lovejoy because he can't see the teams issues clearly enough to actually fill the holes we have. Signing Polak was dumb. He's a #6 we use as a #4, and Nill solution to that problem. was to add 2 more #6 defenseman.

I'm not. You're creating a scenario that didn't exist. No one expected Johns to miss an entire season. Dallas' D on paper looked fine coming into the season because it was giving young players a chance to step into positions. Polak came in as an insurance policy number 7 that became hugely important.

People also expected Methot to probably miss some time, but again, not the whole season. They came in with a Top 4 of Lindell-Klingberg, Methot-Johns, which most people were OK with because it gave Miro and Honka an opportunity to do something. Honka bombed ... they adjusted. Johns and Methot were out all year ... .they adjusted.

Hardly anyone was advocating for Top 4 D.

Look I get it, Nill may have worn out his welcome, but this revisionist history isn't accurate.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

I think you just really hate Nill
and it’s not me underestimating him. Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on how bad Nill has been.
I definitely do. And him standing still at the deadline last year was the final straw and his moves this off-season to current have all been negative.
He made Dellandrea untouchable even for Karlsson, and Hintz.
So no reason to have confidence in him or his decision making

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm not. You're creating a scenario that didn't exist. No one expected Johns to miss an entire season. Dallas' D on paper looked fine coming into the season because it was giving young players a chance to step into positions. Polak came in as an insurance policy number 7 that became hugely important.

People also expected Methot to probably miss some time, but again, not the whole season. They came in with a Top 4 of Lindell-Klingberg, Methot-Johns, which most people were OK with because it gave Miro and Honka an opportunity to do something. Honka bombed ... they adjusted. Johns and Methot were out all year ... .they adjusted.

Hardly anyone was advocating for Top 4 D.

Look I get it, Nill may have worn out his welcome, but this revisionist history isn't accurate.
I never considered Methot a top4 Dman, and John's has always been borderline. Just because people around here seem to think something doesn't make it true, there's some here that thought Honka was a top4 guy too.
It's not revisionist history. We needed to replace Hamhuis a top4 guy we let walk. And could use a 2nd top4 guy that would push John's into his role as #5. We added Polak. It was dumb then, and trying to say Johns was the #4 is the revisionist version

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
It could be worse. At least Nill didn’t trade for Pateryn back. While he over paid for Lovejoy, he was worth a 4th, Dallas needed another PKer pretty bad. Lindell and Polak have been doing all the heavy lifting.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's a perfectly reasonable take to have, and yet it's still possible to accurately remember the situations that led to this. When Lovejoy plays tomorrow, he'll be Dallas' 14th D this season because of injuries. Nill made an absolute mess of the forward situation, and he's to blame for secondary scoring.

You don't have to rewrite history to look for Nill's shortcomings. Since Dallas has needed a Top 4 D, two have been traded. Only 1 seems like a guy Dallas could have had a shot at, and I don't honestly blame Detroit for preferring Bowey over any of the young D Dallas would be willing to move. I think this is one of those situations where there's not a player out there to fill a need right now, and it's not even that big of a need. They're 2nd in GAA with this group they already had. I'm glad he kept the 1st and 2nd to address a bigger issue ... scoring. Muzin wouldn't have fixed this team.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Seriously if you think Stars needed a top 4 guy prior to the season you are either lying or not very smart. Johns and Methot are top4 guys . Nobody expected both to basically miss the whole year. Methot some time sure but not like this.

The team needed depth scoring which Nill failed to aquire but talking about how Polak was signed as a top4 guy is just wrong. He just had to play more because of injuries.

When Polak was signed i remember how mad people got because our defense was absolutely fine and Heatherington could fill the role of #7 just as good. Well turns out that was wrong.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Oops .... can't figure out how to edit the title. My mistake.

No problem - I got it. Just so you (and anyone else who wants to) know for the future:

Click "Thread Tools" above the OP (kind of in the middle). In the drop-down menu, click "Edit Thread". There should be a box to edit the title in there (as long as you're the OP). Feel free to try it out, obviously.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Seriously if you think Stars needed a top 4 guy prior to the season you are either lying or not very smart. Johns and Methot are top4 guys .

We did need a top 4 D going into the season though? It would've been very smart for Jim Nill to snag a core D piece. Methot and Johns didn't change that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We did need a top 4 D going into the season though? It would've been very smart for Jim Nill to snag a core D piece. Methot and Johns didn't change that.

Did we ?

Lindell-Klingberg
Methot-Johns
Miro-Honka/Polak
Polak/Honka

looked absolutely fine . Everybody was , rightfully so , screaming about how he needed better forwards. Defense is absolutely fine . Miro was to be eased in and probably used with Johns when Methot was to sit out. I don't see the problem. It was pretty well knows Miro is a special talent that could be used in a top 4 role if he had to and Johns came off two decent years playing top 4 minutes.

Lindell-Klingberg
Miro-Johns

was on paper a nice homegrown top 4 going forward. Methot was there to help out a bit when the young guys struggle and Polak was signed as insurance.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad