Confirmed with Link: [DAL/NJ] Connor Carrick, 2019 DAL 3rd for Ben Jovejoy

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Planning for two season ending injuries ? Outside of Muzzin no defenseman of notice was moved this year at all.

And Muzzin cost a huge haul. No way Nill was going to pay that, and rightfully so.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Planning for two season ending injuries ? Outside of Muzzin no defenseman of notice was moved this year at all.

Its an expensive band-aid i agree but its better than keeping the gushing wound open.

I believe pretty strongly that Nill had every opportunity to put the team in a better position to deal with injuries over the years he's been GM and his failure is the reason that the next GM will have fewer assets to work with.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I believe pretty strongly that Nill had every opportunity to put the team in a better position to deal with injuries over the years he's been GM and his failure is the reason that the next GM will have fewer assets to work with.

How do you plan for season ending injuries ? Ben Lovejoy will be the 14th defenseman the Stars use this season . I don't know what kind of position a team is supposed to be in that makes you be prepared for that.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm fine with getting Lovejoy for what was basically a 3rd + 7th. Not happy with how Nill referred to him as a 2nd pairing dman, but for us he probably is.

Would've much rather had Jensen + a 5th for Honka + a 2nd (Detroit had interest in Honka, probably not a lot of interest there anymore now that they got Bowey)...but maybe Nill plans on trading his 2nd round pick elsewhere (we don't have a 2020 2nd though)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm fine with getting Lovejoy for what was basically a 3rd + 7th. Not happy with how Nill referred to him as a 2nd pairing dman, but for us he probably is.

Would've much rather had Jensen + a 5th for Honka + a 2nd (Detroit had interest in Honka, probably not a lot of interest there anymore now that they got Bowey)...but maybe Nill plans on trading his 2nd round pick elsewhere (we don't have a 2020 2nd though)

I can't see anyone in their right mind taking Honka over Bowey. Bowey is just an objectively better prospect and player. He's not a stud prospect, but Honka is essentially a total failure at this point.

The 2nds are likely to be similar, ours might be a tad higher but that's insignificant.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
How do you plan for season ending injuries ? Ben Lovejoy will be the 14th defenseman the Stars use this season . I don't know what kind of position a team is supposed to be in that makes you be prepared for that.

I'm not going to cry over spilled milk here - if you find yourself in the position of NHL GM and want to prepare yourself for future misfortune, I suggest making the most of your draft capital to build the best possible depth at every position instead of paying 3rd round picks for players like Ben Lovejoy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm not going to cry over spilled milk here - if you find yourself in the position of NHL GM and want to prepare yourself for future misfortune, I suggest making the most of your draft capital to build the best possible depth at every position instead of paying 3rd round picks for players like Ben Lovejoy.

Are you a hoarder by chance or something like that ? :laugh:

You do know there is a roster limit ? Can't just stockpile an unlimited amount of players just in case.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Draft picks. The most over-valued thing on HFBoards.
They are. All you have to do is scroll through the third round of every draft. Half the picks don't even make it to 100 NHL games. Maybe half of those who do are what anyone would call an average player or better.

Yeah, if you trade away all of your picks all of the time, it becomes a problem when you don't have any magic beans left, but this team spent almost the entire last decade collecting picks and prospects. They can afford to blow a pick or three to try to help things now.

Reactions: Henderson33

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Monty is really excited because we now have 7 aehm of course he meant 8 d that can actually play hockey

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
They are. All you have to do is scroll through the third round of every draft. Half the picks don't even make it to 100 NHL games. Maybe half of those who do are what anyone would call an average player or better.

Yeah, if you trade away all of your picks all of the time, it becomes a problem when you don't have any magic beans left, but this team spent almost the entire last decade collecting picks and prospects. They can afford to blow a pick or three to try to help things now.

This isn't very scientific, but I did a quick analysis of 3rd round picks from 2004-2013 (long enough for players drafted here to no longer be prospects):

iUHK9DI.png

Less than 30% of all 3rd round picks play 100 NHL games or more. Most of these end up being journeymen or depth players who aren't sure they'll even have a job after each offseason.

"Notable" picks here are players who became and still are "high-impact" players (top 6 F, top 4 D, #1G). Marchand and Letang are really the only notable skaters, with a handful of quality goalies that are typically voodoo picks (Quick, Bishop, Andersen, Murray, and a few others).

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
How is Lovejoy looking? Always liked the guy since he was with the Ducks. 2 assists and a +4 rating in 8 games so far with the Stars, looks like he's doing well in his role?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Great on the PK but not very good with the puck. His prefered breakout method is bank it of the wall and hope for the best. Has made bad some mistakes but none led to a goal against usually the goalies cleaned up for him .

Thats without the game yesterday by the way.

He's been a good addition to the PK . It now give Montgomery 4 players he trusts on the PK . Not a fun player to watch but he's a third pairing guy so thats usually not a thing anyway.

Hope much less of that.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Great on the PK but not very good with the puck. His prefered breakout method is bank it of the wall and hope for the best. Has made bad some mistakes but none led to a goal against usually the goalies cleaned up for him .

Thats without the game yesterday by the way.

He's been a good addition to the PK . It now give Montgomery 4 players he trusts on the PK . Not a fun player to watch but he's a third pairing guy so thats usually not a thing anyway.

Hope much less of that.

"with experience defensemen stop making so many egregious mistakes" blah blah blah

serp

Jan 17, 2016
"with experience defensemen stop making so many egregious mistakes" blah blah blah

Probably was much worse when he was younger ? :5:

Also that gif with Polak is funny as hell. Don't even know how he could randomly fell that funny.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Athleticism is primary in the NHL and without it hockey sense does you absolutely no good. Lovejoy is well past the point where his age and experience is an asset.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Athleticism is primary in the NHL and without it hockey sense does you absolutely no good. Lovejoy is well past the point where his age and experience is an asset.

Well he still does really well on the PK. He was one of the best penalty killers on a very good Devils PK and has been very good on the PK with the Stars as well. 5on5 he shouldn't play much more than neccesary though . Very similar to Roman Polak imho. Probably more severe .

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Well he still does really well on the PK. He was one of the best penalty killers on a very good Devils PK and has been very good on the PK with the Stars as well. 5on5 he shouldn't play much more than neccesary though . Very similar to Roman Polak imho. Probably more severe .

Of course a player who can't break out is better when he can just ice the puck.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Of course a player who can't break out is better when he can just ice the puck.

You don't get players with a good breakput at the deadline for this cheap and rarely do you find those on any third pairing . Mostly if you have guys who can provide some offense on your third paring they're awful at other things. Lovejoy isn't a fun player to watch that we all agree on but he has a place on the team . Also the Stars do take way more penalties than the other way around . ( i think they're the worst team when it comes to penalty difference in the league ) .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad