Dahlin vs Heiskanen

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nice to see you have another crusade to work on, not just ragging on Kakko. I see a pretty clear pattern emerging here.

You caught me. I hate Finnish players.

Does this stuff ever get old for some of you? No one hates your country. I was actually told like two weeks ago that I was flagging for Kakko too much, but now I must hate him.

I can’t keep up with all these competing made up narratives. How about there’s no conspiracy and we take opinions at face value on the logic within them? Or does that make too much sense for you?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think you realize that what I'm saying is exactly what tons of Sabres fans are saying...I mean you could just go look for yourself on Twitter. At least I'm not saying he should be scratched for some games or sent down to the AHL like a lot of them are...

And I’m sure I can find some Penguins fans that call Crosby overrated. Doesn’t mean squat.

I try to keep my comments to topics I have knowledge on. This is a topic I think I’m pretty knowledgeable about. I’ve seen more than enough to form an opinion. If Sabres fans disagree, that’s their issue. They don’t control my opinion. I’m not even sure they would disagree with my opinion. I don’t know why you are so into trying to drill this point down that we must believe. Are you the collector of consensus?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
And I’m sure I can find some Penguins fans that call Crosby overrated. Doesn’t mean squat.

I try to keep my comments to topics I have knowledge on. This is a topic I think I’m pretty knowledgeable about. I’ve seen more than enough to form an opinion. If Sabres fans disagree, that’s their issue. They don’t control my opinion. I’m not even sure they would disagree with my opinion. I don’t know why you are so into trying to drill this point down that we must believe. Are you the collector of consensus?

I'm not trying to, you keep responding so I keep explaining what I said cause you didn't seem to understand it. I'm not even trying to continue this conversation lol it should have died with my last message when I clearly explained where I was coming from but oh well

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Dahlin has yet to be given a big defensive role. I think that’s poor coaching. He should be playing about 20-25 minutes in all situations on PP1, PK1 and 1st pair at ES. Heiskanen at this point is being given much closer to that role. You can’t blame Dahlin for being misused and getting less of a chance to produce, yet some of you try to do that because you think there’s some contest here between the two players.

It is extremely rare to play rookie D-man +20 minutes and in PP+PK and you also need to earn it and show that you can do it. Dahlin currently can't play +20 minutes and be given more defensive role at the same time, because he has problems in his own end.

Heiskanen earned that role and showed that he can play the game on both ends.

Reactions: badboy1994

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Makar is better than both

I agree but only when it comes to offence, Miro is the best at defending when it comes to these 3.

I'm not talking about specifically right now, but I don't see why they couldn't. It's favorable towards them at all points. The point is that they don't because they don't feel the need to compare Dahlin to other players. No Oilers fan ever tries to gloat about McDavid's success at the expense of someone like Matthews. It's similar for Dahlin. These other young defensemen are not as good. They don't need to gloat, considering its rather obvious to nearly everyone who the best is. Only a thirsty few that root for teams that Heiskanen plays for feel this need.

Did you follow from the beginning who started this rivalry / debate? As far as i have seen, it has been on every platform ever since both got heavily in the spotlight, and the fact is, you can argue both ways as of right now. And quite frankly i'd pick Dahlin myself but the way that you and other insecure Dahlin fans are trying to defend him and act as if he was established generational best D in NHL 3 years ago lol, it's too early to tell. Stop being so cringy.

But for this season Miro has been clearly better defensively. So you can argue both ways. And stop generalizing all finns like you know everything, some of you posters i must say..

the debates will die down if stubborn stars fans realize that dahlin has outperformed heiskanen at every stage of their careers....

I haven't seen a single thread about this debate by a sabres fan. it is all insecure stars fans that can't acknowledge that although heiskanen is sure to be an elite player, he'll just never be on dahlin's level

literally no one is hating on Miro. Get over yourselves!

Dahlin hasn't been outperforming Miro this season yet though, im finnish and i'd pick Dahlin for my team b4 Miro but the stubbornness and lengths some of you guys go is just cringy, as a matter of fact this whole thread is filled with embarrassing statements.

Thing is that journalists are big influencers and all the big media of hockey are in NE of NA. I think everybody knows where Buffalo is located.

Dahlin has better hands and shot,
anything else goes to Heiskanen.

Dahlin does not have a better shot lol, Heiskanen has more goals for a reason, his wrist shot is a lazer.

Remember that less icetime isnt maybe bad for a young player. There are lots of examples when young players was misused due to the too high icetime.

Actually Heiskanen just recently said in interview that he loves to get much icetime but ofcourse it makes you adjust your playing style, you cant go too much offensively.

The guy is a statwatching expert analytic don't bother

Dmen are just too damn hard to tell at early stages. Heiskanen, Makar, Dahlin, Hughes, I think any one of them can be the best when its all said and done.

Makar has been very impressive from the little i've seen. And Heiskanen defensively has been ELITE.

Last edited by a moderator:

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
Funny how this thread blows up when Dahlin is struggling and dies when he isn't. Really makes you think.

I dont even understand what people are arguing in here. Its been obvious that Heiskanen is better in defense and Dahlin in offense. I think it was pretty much same picture last season.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
They are from different drafts. If Heiskanen is not roughly close with an extra year of high level hockey under his belt, it’s a joke to even try to compare.

Heiskanen is very good. He may be roughly even to Dahlin in current ability, but Dahlin has played a year less. Therefore, it’s silly to try to compare the two.

Heiskanen was better in his first NHL season starting in his first shift (at Dahlin's current age) than Dahlin is so far this year in his second NHL season.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Funny how this thread blows up when Dahlin is struggling and dies when he isn't. Really makes you think.

I'd say there's a fair amount of hyperbole on both sides; from Heiskanen fans pointing out that he's off to a better start, and from Sabres fans in the "Dahlin AINEC" camp from day one who still haven't budged.

I still say both fanbases are lucky to have a top-tier young gun manning their blueline.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I'd say there's a fair amount of hyperbole on both sides; from Heiskanen fans pointing out that he's off to a better start, and from Sabres fans in the "Dahlin AINEC" camp from day one who still haven't budged.

I still say both fanbases are lucky to have a top-tier young gun manning their blueline.

Pretty much this.

Reactions: Dave Karp

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is extremely rare to play rookie D-man +20 minutes and in PP+PK and you also need to earn it and show that you can do it. Dahlin currently can't play +20 minutes and be given more defensive role at the same time, because he has problems in his own end.

Heiskanen earned that role and showed that he can play the game on both ends.

I’ve heard this one before from a certain sub-section, but why? You aren’t grounding this in specifics. If you are trying to tell me my opinion is wrong, wouldn’t it make sense to bring a compelling argument of why I’m wrong?

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I’ve heard this one before from a certain sub-section, but why? You aren’t grounding this in specifics. If you are trying to tell me my opinion is wrong, wouldn’t it make sense to bring a compelling argument of why I’m wrong?

Didn't i just say? It is extremely rare to play rookie D that many minutes and in all roles. Dahlin have problems defending so why should he be playing +20 minutes and in PK? He will learn how to defend without those extra minutes, just like every other rookie D. Buffalo is also trying to win games. Besides i don't really get why you wanna give Dahlin more minutes and role he can't handle yet and at the same time there are other players in same situation as Dahlin but you are not saying those guys should be given more minutes etc.

Besides last year his ATOI was 21 mins. That is pretty great for rookie D. This year it is 19. Don't really get why you wanna rush him and play him in every possible role.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Didn't i just say? It is extremely rare to play rookie D that many minutes and in all roles. Dahlin have problems defending so why should he be playing +20 minutes and in PK? He will learn how to defend without those extra minutes, just like every other rookie D. Buffalo is also trying to win games. Besides i don't really get why you wanna give Dahlin more minutes and role he can't handle yet and at the same time there are other players in same situation as Dahlin but you are not saying those guys should be given more minutes etc.

Besides last year his ATOI was 21 mins. That is pretty great for rookie D. This year it is 19. Don't really get why you wanna rush him and play him in every possible role.

I had to explain what I was saying several times as well. If he responds to you like he just did it probably means you made a good point and he doesnt know what to say :laugh:absolutely no idea how he didnt understand your first post

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I had to explain what I was saying several times as well. If he responds to you like he just did it probably means you made a good point and he doesnt know what to say :laugh:absolutely no idea how he didnt understand your first post

Says the guy who is in every Dahlin thread and tries to play Mr. Ultra Reasonable, yet that includes only having an opinion of Dahlin that slights him.

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
Dahlin is a liability in his own zone, Heiskenan is already one of the best Defensive Dmen in the league.

If you need to score with 2 min left, you pick Dahlin, if you want to build a defenscore around someone then you pick Heiskenan

It’s that simple, no coach, would pick Dahlin over Heiskenan when winning by 1 goal with 2 min left

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
Says the guy who is in every Dahlin thread and tries to play Mr. Ultra Reasonable, yet that includes only having an opinion of Dahlin that slights him.

It's funny how for some guys "Dahlin isn't light year ahead" is slighting. I haven't seen one post, that claims Heiskanen is somehow much better or AINEC, but other way around there are multiple of those and it seems to be ok, when it's not ok to say, that Dahlin is weaker in defending and better in attacking and probably better in future, but not now and they think they are objective, reasonable and give good arguments (by rejecting everything others said).

They are both great talents. I can't remember similar ones in near history. I would take Heiskanen, because I have always loved well defending defenders, whose skating and IQ are elite and they have ability to help attack even when they are not offensive talents like Coffey. But it's easy to understand, why someone takes Dahlin and he has probably more upside.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Wow this thread is so strange and boring. The insecure searching confirmation.... tells more of the fans posting in it then the players.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
It's funny how for some guys "Dahlin isn't light year ahead" is slighting. I haven't seen one post, that claims Heiskanen is somehow much better or AINEC, but other way around there are multiple of those and it seems to be ok, when it's not ok to say, that Dahlin is weaker in defending and better in attacking and probably better in future, but not now and they think they are objective, reasonable and give good arguments (by rejecting everything others said).

They are both great talents. I can't remember similar ones in near history. I would take Heiskanen, because I have always loved well defending defenders, whose skating and IQ are elite and they have ability to help attack even when they are not offensive talents like Coffey. But it's easy to understand, why someone takes Dahlin and he has probably more upside.
That's a Swedish thing (Pavel called Finns out earlier, so just answering in a sarcastic way)

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
What team won the 1/5 of a season Stanley Cup trophy?

You say a comparison is laughable because Heiskanen has more experience. So I point out that even at the same age, despite Dahlin having a full season more of experience and Heiskanen having none when both were 19, Heiskanen was better (even if a short sample size). So we'll see how it goes the rest of this season in that regard.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
It's not fair to compare Dahlin to older and far superior player like Heiskanen. Dahlin and Makar is better comparison, both are fantastic young player but a tier below Miro. This is unbiased opinion and I watch them all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad