Dahlin is generational.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Since Ovechkin and Crosby entered the league, the term "generational" has been en vogue. Consider that, prior to those two, there have been 4 players considered generational over the last 100 years: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux. That's it.

Suddenly, Ovechkin and Sid enter the league and we've more than doubled the amount of "generational" players: Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews, Dahlin.

4 over the course of history, then suddenly 6 more since 2005. Next Hughes will be, followed by Lafrenierre.

Personally, I think there has only been ONE generational defenseman ever, and that's Orr. Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom, Harvey, etc. are not generational in my eyes, although they are elite, megastars.
Nice post.

Actually, the concept of a “generational” player is a recent invention. The first consensus greatest player probably was Morenz, followed by M. Richard and then quickly Howe. None of them were immediately acclaimed as greatest, but kind of grew into the designation. Orr was proclaimed (the next) greatest (ever) hockey player, perhaps the earliest in his career than ever before. It was that apparent (still the greatest hockey player I’ve ever seen). Gretzky was next, and somewhere during his career, perhaps after Lemieux started playing, “generational” was coined, replacing “greatest”. Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux. That’s it. For anyone else, it will be the perspective of a career which gets him into the generational discussion, not one or five seasons.

Morenz played so long ago that no one now can reliably place him into the generational category. Most of the other discussed players (now including Richard) fall into the superstar category...Hull, Crosby, Beliveau, Harvey, Borque, Roy, Hasek, etc... Some are a bit more acclaimed than others, but all are below the current big four “generational” players.

Time will tell where Dahlin fits, but he is a very exciting player...a hybrid of sorts on defense much like Orr was.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nice post.

Actually, the concept of a “generational” player is a recent invention. The first consensus greatest player probably was Morenz, followed by M. Richard and then quickly Howe. None of them were immediately acclaimed as greatest, but kind of grew into the designation. Orr was proclaimed (the next) greatest (ever) hockey player, perhaps the earliest in his career than ever before. It was that apparent (still the greatest hockey player I’ve ever seen). Gretzky was next, and somewhere during his career, perhaps after Lemieux started playing, “generational” was coined, replacing “greatest”. Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux. That’s it. For anyone else, it will be the perspective of a career which gets him into the generational discussion, not one or five seasons.

Morenz played so long ago that no one now can reliably place him into the generational category. Most of the other discussed players (now including Richard) fall into the superstar category...Hull, Crosby, Beliveau, Harvey, Borque, Roy, Hasek, etc... Some are a bit more acclaimed than others, but all are below the current big four “generational” players.

Time will tell where Dahlin fits, but he is a very exciting player...a hybrid of sorts on defense much like Orr was.

This probably seems like nitpicking, but if Hasek isn't a generational goalie, then there's no such thing. He was routinely 3-4 standard deviations better than league average, won 6 Vezinas, was awarded best goalie at the WJC, WC, and Olympics, and is the only goalie in NHL history to win multiple Harts (+ 3 additional top 3 finishes in voting). Not to mention the fact that the way he played the position is something I doubt we'll ever see replicated.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
This probably seems like nitpicking, but if Hasek isn't a generational goalie, then there's no such thing. He was routinely 3-4 standard deviations better than league average, won 6 Vezinas, was awarded best goalie at the WJC, WC, and Olympics, and is the only goalie in NHL history to win multiple Harts (+ 3 additional top 3 finishes in voting). Not to mention the fact that the way he played the position is something I doubt we'll ever see replicated.
And yet some will rank Roy above Hasek.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If guys like Chelios, Bourque, Lidstrom are not considered generational, then no dman in the league today is generational.

Imo even Crosby/Ovechkin/Mcdavid are borderline - if you include them you have to add Jagr (5 art rosses), Hasek (6 vezinas), and Lidstrom (7 norris).

The only clear cut generational players are Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You guys have 2 1st lines, I think we should be allowed 1 really good d-man to try to shut them down. Fair's fair.

I disagree. I thought we had agreed Buffalo is allowed Eichel and that is enough for them. :sarcasm:

Buffalo has slowly built up a pretty stacked core though being serious again. Not a Risto fan but he was good tonight. Dahlin will be the best D in the league. Eichel is a franchise C.

They need depth and experience right now, and another top pairing D for Dahlin. If Risto is your #3 or #4 you are in good shape.

Oh and a goalie for the future as well. Ulmark I am not sure on him. But the Sabres have taken a step and assuming they can add more quality guys to the roster via the draft in 2-3 years the Sabres will be where the Leafs are.. Or better.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, there you have it folks, no player can be considered generational anymore, unless they haven't played for 30 years or so. Only playing against mostly Canadian talent helps. The term can practically be buried.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
As much as it pains me to say, Dahlin is a generational defensemen. 18 and already a #1 D in the league, perhaps already a top 10 D. In 2 or 3 years he is going to be a monster and as a fan of a team in the Atlantic he terrifies me.

Easily the Calder will be his and he will win many more trophies and sadly.. probably a cup or two.
Easily? (shakes head) not exactly. You're missing out on that guy name Elias Pettersson in Vancouver.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
LMAO and in the HF GDT the other day someone got pissy for people talking about Brayden Point having a crazy season cause it was too early.

Then we have this.

Reactions: Gabranth

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
There’s only been 5 generationals in the history of pro hockey, McDavid, Gretz, Mess, Howe, Richard.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc

Don’t get me wrong he’s a pretty good hockey player but not generational, Sid relies more on hockey sense and hard work, you’re not going to see him be able to streak up the wing, passed the D and deke out the goalie like Connor.

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
I disagree. I thought we had agreed Buffalo is allowed Eichel and that is enough for them. :sarcasm:

Buffalo has slowly built up a pretty stacked core though being serious again. Not a Risto fan but he was good tonight. Dahlin will be the best D in the league. Eichel is a franchise C.

They need depth and experience right now, and another top pairing D for Dahlin. If Risto is your #3 or #4 you are in good shape.

Oh and a goalie for the future as well. Ulmark I am not sure on him. But the Sabres have taken a step and assuming they can add more quality guys to the roster via the draft in 2-3 years the Sabres will be where the Leafs are.. Or better.

Got 3 of 4 top D for the future set imo. Dahlin, Pilut, Risto so ye need 1 more piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad