Dahlin is generational.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Hedman was supposed to be generational.

Larsson was even better than Hedman, Lidstrom-esque hype, generational, can't miss.

Then it was Ekblad turn...

Now Dahlin..

Doug Harvey was a generational player.
Bobby Orr
Ray Bourque
Lidstrom

Thats it!

You have guys who came close like Pilotte, Potvin, Chelios, Coffey, Robinson... All those new guy will prolly not even reach that 2nd tier list...let alone the first.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lidstrom should be considered generational. He's what? Like the 2nd best defenseman in NHL history?
He didn't get nominated for one Hart Trophy or win one Pearson award. I don't get how someone can be labelled generational when neither the writers who follow the sport collectively think he's a top 3 player or their peers recognize them as the best player in the league for any given season. Lidstrom is an all-time great and an elite career with exceptional longevity, but he wasn't generational. I don't think at any point during his career, if you could take any single player in the league to build around it would be Lidstrom. He was always overshadowed by guys such as Hasek, Fedorov (early on), Jagr, Lindros, Forsberg, Crosby, and Ovechkin in that discussion. In Lidstrom's career, Lidstrom got a grand total of 4 first place Hart votes, spread over 3 different seasons.

I'd also say he's behind Orr and Harvey at a minimum. Also most likely behind Shore and Bourque. Then you can start really debating.

Generational to me (and I think it's intended meaning), is that a player is by far the best of their generation or expected to be. It is easily reflected through awards and status league-wide. I don't think it's positional. The only clearly generational defender post-O6 is Orr. For example, the clear-cut generational guys in sports right now are Lebron and Mike Trout. I don't think anyone would dispute those 2 have been the best players in their sport without any debate for a significant time. Now, you get Messi/Ronaldo, Brady/Manning, and Magic/Bird situations where two guys are just dominating their peers to a level that they both have to be considered as such, which is where Crosby and Ovi probably fall into (although, not as clear-cut as those prior examples).

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Toews, Gretzky, Orr, Lidstrom, Matthews, Lemieux and?

Who's number 7?
1a9.gif

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He didn't get nominated for one Hart Trophy or win one Pearson award. I don't get how someone can be labelled generational when neither the writers who follow the sport collectively think he's a top 3 player or their peers recognize them as the best player in the league for any given season. Lidstrom is an all-time great and an elite career with exceptional longevity, but he wasn't generational. I don't think at any point during his career, if you could take any single player in the league to build around it would be Lidstrom. He was always overshadowed by guys such as Hasek, Fedorov (early on), Jagr, Lindros, Forsberg, Crosby, and Ovechkin in that discussion. In Lidstrom's career, Lidstrom got a grand total of 4 first place Hart votes, spread over 3 different seasons.

I'd also say he's behind Orr and Harvey at a minimum. Also most likely behind Shore and Bourque. Then you can start really debating.

Generational to me (and I think it's intended meaning), is that a player is by far the best of their generation or expected to be. It is easily reflected through awards and status league-wide. I don't think it's positional. The only clearly generational defender post-O6 is Orr. For example, the clear-cut generational guys in sports right now are Lebron and Mike Trout. I don't think anyone would dispute those 2 have been the best players in their sport without any debate for a significant time. Now, you get Messi/Ronaldo, Brady/Manning, and Magic/Bird situations where two guys are just dominating their peers to a level that they both have to be considered as such, which is where Crosby and Ovi probably fall into (although, not as clear-cut as those prior examples).

NHL will never ever get a D that is Generational if that means they need to compete with forwards. Will never ever happen again.

Reactions: Lyle Chipperson

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hm, Dahlin will be in NHL for at least 15 years. Im just curious, how many "Generational" threads we will see here on Hfboards. Starting to count: 1.
I'm not sure how there could be 20 generational players in the league at one time.
That tells me that there is no generational players.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I wish we could scrap the word generational. He'll be a high end #1 D, let's just leave it there.
Yeah. Terminology like 'elite' or 'generational' always seem to lead to pages of bickering over what exactly that means. If OP had said that Dahlin would be considered one of the best d-men in the league over the majority of his career, this thread could have actually stayed on topic instead.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah. Terminology like 'elite' or 'generational' always seem to lead to pages of bickering over what exactly that means. If OP had said that Dahlin would be considered one of the best d-men in the league over the majority of his career, this thread could have actually stayed on topic instead.

That thread wouldn't generate much discussion, though. I don't think there's really any debate to be had over a claim like that. Everyone can see that Dahlin is going to be very, very good. The only real question is just how good --- are we talking about a consistent top 5-10 D in the league over his career, or are we talking about a really historically noteworthy career?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That thread wouldn't generate much discussion, though. I don't think there's really any debate to be had over a claim like that. Everyone can see that Dahlin is going to be very, very good. The only real question is just how good --- are we talking about a consistent top 5-10 D in the league over his career, or are we talking about a really historically noteworthy career?
Yeah, but I think that thread might lead into such a discussion. This one seem to just work its way through the normal bickering about what being generational actually means.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
As much as it pains me to say, Dahlin is a generational defensemen. 18 and already a #1 D in the league, perhaps already a top 10 D. In 2 or 3 years he is going to be a monster and as a fan of a team in the Atlantic he terrifies me.

Easily the Calder will be his and he will win many more trophies and sadly.. probably a cup or two.

Chabot from Ottawa says, hold my beer and I'll hold the Calder

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The HF label debates are always so painful to read. Everyone has their own definition of "generational" vs "elite" vs "franchise player" vs "superstar" etc etc. I do it too so I can't talk but it's easier to just talk about the player without needing these cliches.

Dahlin is one of the best 18 year old defensemen to ever play in the NHL... If generational puck poise is a thing, he has it. When you watch him play, you can't tell what his ceiling is. You really can't. If Dahlin, who has been called the best D prospect since the 70's (Potvin), isn't "generational" then there's an argument that there has never been a generational dman in the history of the league not named Bobby. People like to compare Dahlin to Ekblad, Hedman, and Larsson despite scouts and coaches repeatedly saying he was better than them at the same age. It's like comparing Matthews to Nugent-Hopkins, Hischier, and Nash.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Everyone can continue to argue what it means to be generational. I’ll keep watching Dahlin become the best defenseman in the NHL over the next few years.

I told a leafs fan in the Sabres GDT that Dahlin won’t get the offensive recognition he deserves because of #pointzzz but he’s just as talented offensively as nearly any any player in this league... at 18 and playing defense.

Whatever term you want to use, elite, superstar, generational, Dahlin is going to be a treat to watch for many years — unless he’s playing your team. Similar to McDavid, Karlsson, etc, you watch those guys do what they do and it’s so impressive. Dahlin is the same way.

If you guys want to argue about Dahlin vs Matthews vs McDavid vs [insert your teams best player] go for it. Dahlin is special and regardless of your word preference is going to win many trophies in this league and it’s gojng to happen sooner than people originally thought. He’s was a better prospect than Larsson (lol) and Hedman. Dahlin is probably a top 20 defenseman by the end of the year — if he isn’t already, and almost assuredly is a top 10 defenseman by the end of next season as a 19 year old.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
The problem in this thread is clear: it’s the word “generational.” It’s really dumb and nobody really knows what it means.

I’m just going to enjoy watching Dahlin play and continue to develop hopefully into one of the top D in the league. Isn’t that enough?

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Generational Defenceman:
Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Ray Bourque
Niklas Lidstrom

Hall of Fame Defencman:
Dennis Potvin
Larry Robinson
Eddie Shore
Red Kelly
Chris Chelios
Paul Coffey
Brian Leetch
Chris Pronger
Scott Neidermayer
Scott Stevens
Al Macinnis
Future Hall of Famers:
Duncan Keith
Drew Doughty
Erik Karlsson

Superstar-> Hall of Famer-> Generational

There are only 10-15 Generational Players in 100+ years of Hockey History.

Prediction: Dahlin will be a star player.

Last edited:

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
For the love of god this “generational” nonsense needs to stop.

Generational is just that, a talent so extreme it is only seen once or so in a generation.

Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Crosby, MAYBE Lindros, and McDavid are the only generational players to have played in the NHL.

Stop confusing elite with generational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad