Recalled/Assigned: Da Costa [Assigned to Bingo Feb. 22]

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Da Costa was sent down because Anderson is not going on 7 day IR so with Lehner on recall and Regin returning they would have had 24 players and can only carry 23.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Better than being a healthy scratch. Hopefully he's back ASAP.
I suspect that when Anderson can play Lehner will be returned to Bingo but by then the 23rd spot will be occupied by Michalek. So for Da Costa to return it will take another injury or one of DD / Grant would have to play badly.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Has DD and Grant played better than DaCosta?? I thought Grant would've been sent down..

Either way we'll take it

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
A bit surprised. Grant has played decent, but Da Costa has made a real impact in a few games (or at least shown the ability too). Struggled a bit of late, to be sure, but we are pretty thin offensively. They must feel Regin is getting close too, as he will be a natural to jump in at center, perhaps along side Michalek.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Well Da Costa had his shot, and I'm sure they just want to give one to Grant. I'm sure Bingo would rather have Da Costa anyways.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Wow very dumb move imo. Unless this means Zibby will be getting a lot more minutes, I dont see how this makes sense. We need guys who generate offense on the ice more often, not less often. And what a hit to the kids confidence, I mean if he cant make the team now when we're absolutely devastated with injuries, and starving for any kind of offense, then he must feel like the team has no faith in him.

Berserker*

Has DD and Grant played better than DaCosta?? I thought Grant would've been sent down..

Either way we'll take it

DD has fit in very nicely on a line with Smith and Neil. That line has done a great job of shutting down the oppostion's top line as well as creating a lot of trunovers on the forecheck.

Both Grant and DD have improved each game they have played. While Da Costa has regressed a bit over the last three games.

The other important thing is that the Senators are a bit weak along the boards and in the corners. Therefore there is a bit of a need to keep DD and Grant up.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
i thought da costa has outplayed grant. the only difference is that grant is much more defensively responsible and can play the pk.

this makes our pp a lot worst. who the hell steps in for da costa if regin and michalek can't go.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Either way we'll take it

Grant and DD are going a great job, both play with speed and are physical.

IMO DaCosta just isn't suited for the roles Grant and DD are being asked to play.

Da Costa played 2-3 really good games, his last three have been average or below average, so personally I'm not surprised by the decision.

DaCosta will be back, he definitely has shown growth in his game.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think that Murray is trying to help Bingo's depth a little bit by sending DaCosta back down. Especially now with Lehner being recalled.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Nice to see Grant stick for a little while longer

Agreed, I watched him last night, he is fast, smart and doesn't mind the physical aspects either.

I really believe he will be in Ottawa on a permanent basis in the near future.

I also like DD, have watched him on AHL Live a lot, but seeing him play live is quite another thing. He is big, aggressive and can he ever get up and down the ice.

I believe his addition to the Smith line has made it even more effective.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Tough for DaCosta to show off his skills when he's given very little ice time. It was ominous he wasn't going to stick around much longer when he wasn't even picked ahead of Smith, Daug or Wiercioch for the shoot out last night.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
DD has fit in very nicely on a line with Smith and Neil. That line has done a great job of shutting down the oppostion's top line as well as creating a lot of trunovers on the forecheck.

Both Grant and DD have improved each game they have played. While Da Costa has regressed a bit over the last three games.

The other important thing is that the Senators are a bit weak along the boards and in the corners. Therefore there is a bit of a need to keep DD and Grant up.

Grant and DD are going a great job, both play with speed and are physical.

IMO DaCosta just isn't suited for the roles Grant and DD are being asked to play.

Da Costa played 2-3 really good games, his last three have been average or below average, so personally I'm not surprised by the decision.

A bit surprised. Grant has played decent, but Da Costa has made a real impact in a few games (or at least shown the ability too). Struggled a bit of late, to be sure, but we are pretty thin offensively. They must feel Regin is getting close too, as he will be a natural to jump in at center, perhaps along side Michalek.

Well Da Costa had his shot, and I'm sure they just want to give one to Grant. I'm sure Bingo would rather have Da Costa anyways.

Thanks!

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

He's still awful at fighting for the puck TBH. If he improves nothing else in the next year but board play he'll be an NHL player. If not he'll probably be playing in Europe.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think that Murray is trying to help Bingo's depth a little bit by sending DaCosta back down. Especially now with Lehner being recalled.

Possibly this entered into the decision, but it probably has more to do with how Grant, Zibby, and DD have played and the return of Regin.

DaCosta might as well play in Bingo rather than be a healthy scratch waiting for his next opportunity.

While people may not watch Grant play, he has been solid, so solid in fact JOB has remained a healthy scratch.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
He's still awful at fighting for the puck TBH. If he improves nothing else in the next year but board play he'll be an NHL player. If not he'll probably be playing in Europe.

Its a process, he has shown improvement but definitely needs to work on aspects of his game.

That said, I do think the window of opportunity for DaCosta as a starter in Ottawa and not just a depth player is closing rapidly.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He'll be back, it was just a case of too many bodies and they want the other 2 guys to get the feel of the game more since we are facing more aggressive teams and Zibanejad is stepping up. You guys are reading a little too much into this, DaCosta has been fantastic for the short stint.

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
The writing was on the wall - he only had a team-low 6 minutes of ice-time v the Rangers. That and being passed over for the shootout.
I saw DaCosta's ice-time and how McLean had double-shifted Turris and thought he might be injured.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
i thought da costa has outplayed grant. the only difference is that grant is much more defensively responsible and can play the pk.

this makes our pp a lot worst. who the hell steps in for da costa if regin and michalek can't go.

How many goals or assists has DaCosta produced on the PP? Zero.

DaCosta is a text msg away if the Sens need him.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
He'll be back, it was just a case of too many bodies and they want the other 2 guys to get the feel of the game more since we are facing more aggressive teams and Zibanejad is stepping up. You guys are reading a little too much into this, DaCosta has been fantastic for the short stint.

DaCosta hasn't been fantastic the last 2 or 3 games, fantastic doesn't get you 6 minutes of ice time.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Possibly this entered into the decision, but it probably has more to do with how Grant, Zibby, and DD have played and the return of Regin.

DaCosta might as well play in Bingo rather than be a healthy scratch waiting for his next opportunity.

While people may not watch Grant play, he has been solid, so solid in fact JOB has remained a healthy scratch.

I did not see a lot wrong in DaCosta's play. He forechecked hard for his size and was always trying to take the player and then the puck. He is small yes, but he is feisty. My only guess is that they believe he is top 6 and that they do not have the room for him there at the moment with Regin, or perhaps there will be a trade? I think that Bingo needs a bit of help and the fans are likely choked about the lack of skill down there since Ottawa has it all, and or there are players injured. So DaCosta was the right choice to be sent down. That factored with DD and Grant doing well in their rolls.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00