Injury Report: Da Beauty League - Brock Boeser (back playing!)

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
As a Canucks fan since 1970, I've learned to temper my expectation. There are a lot of reasons for lowered expectations:

• The second professional season is often a challenge for young players.
  • Horvat is not an elite centre. I think the last (non Centre) to win the Richard without a top 10 C was probably Jerome Iginla.
  • In the last 11 years only Ovy (7), Sid (3), Stamkos (2) and Corey Perry (should have been Daniel) have won it.

Don’t you mean the Hart with the Daniel comment? Pretty sure he was way behind Perry for the rocket. That’s kind of crazy that Perry is the only non 1st overall pick to win the rocket in 11 years.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
The only way Boeser is winning the Rocket Richard trophy is if the Canucks are one of the top seeds in the West. I expect his pace to be around 35 again, considering his role on the powerplay, etc. But 40-50? Lol. Maybe in a few years if all these prospects pan out and we become a legit NHL team again. As it stands, we're looking at a very one note offense, with a bunch of role players thrown in for reasons.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I wouldn't be surprised to see Boeser's goal production to drop next season. He won't the Sedins and Vanek feeding him as many passes on the PP and he might have to adjust to constantly being the marked man on the team by the opposition.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully his chemistry with Horvat will re-emerge and he won't have too many lingering health concerns. We might have to prepare for Boeser to struggle a bit, just a hunch.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The only way Boeser is winning the Rocket Richard trophy is if the Canucks are one of the top seeds in the West. I expect his pace to be around 35 again, considering his role on the powerplay, etc. But 40-50? Lol. Maybe in a few years if all these prospects pan out and we become a legit NHL team again. As it stands, we're looking at a very one note offense, with a bunch of role players thrown in for reasons.
Was on pace for 38.3 in his rookie season Darby. Closer to 40-50 then saying his pace was 35 last year lol

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
As a Canucks fan since 1970, I've learned to temper my expectation. There are a lot of reasons for lowered expectations:

• The second professional season is often a challenge for young players.
  • Horvat is not an elite centre. I think the last (non Centre) to win the Richard without a top 10 C was probably Jerome Iginla.
  • In the last 11 years only Ovy (7), Sid (3), Stamkos (2) and Corey Perry (should have been Daniel) have won it.
If Ovechkin gets another 50 goals and Boeser ends the year with a measly 42 then I may as well renounce my fandom.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Boeser will only really start to feast on the powerplay when/if Pettersson makes an appearance on the right side as an additional shooting threat. However, I'd wager a guess Green doesn't try Pettersson out on PP1 until mid season. PP1 will probably be Bo, Baer, Brock, Edler, Stecher/Gagner for most of the season.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Don’t you mean the Hart with the Daniel comment? Pretty sure he was way behind Perry for the rocket. That’s kind of crazy that Perry is the only non 1st overall pick to win the rocket in 11 years.

Oops yeah - you're right. When I think of Corey Perry that year, I just think of the injustice of him winning the Hart over Daniel.

Anyways - it would take something really special for Brock to win the Richard. Ovie has had it on lock lately, and I think Laine, McDavid and Kucherov are going to be in the picture as well.

Reactions: PM

zergcraft

Nov 28, 2007
Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If Pettersson takes off the way we think he will next season and Hughes goes pro, then Canucks are going to have a very strong young core. Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, and Horvat are players that Canucks can build around. Potentially our Toews, Kane, Bolland, Keith, and Crawford.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
We all know this league is glorified shinny BUT the passes Boeser is making for those assists are crazy vision passes. The kid is the complete deal. I cannot imagine what a line of Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser would look like out there. Teams might have to play the revers PP to stop them (4D 1F).

Here's hoping they're that big a threat...

Our PP in a few years could be legendary.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Look at Bolland’s playoff performance, he took over some series and destroyed the Sedins.

He was super effective I agree, but I don't think most players can skate around cross checking guys who don't have the puck without taking loads of penalties. Much like Nichushkin's power moves in Jrs, not sure it's a skill that translates.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I wouldn't be surprised to see Boeser's goal production to drop next season. He won't the Sedins and Vanek feeding him as many passes on the PP and he might have to adjust to constantly being the marked man on the team by the opposition.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully his chemistry with Horvat will re-emerge and he won't have too many lingering health concerns. We might have to prepare for Boeser to struggle a bit, just a hunch.

Yeah. A combination of elevated shooting% last year, getting video scouted more thoroughly this year, his wrist issues, and being the lone target on the Nucks. Completely reasonable for his production to take a dip.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Boeser will only really start to feast on the powerplay when/if Pettersson makes an appearance on the right side as an additional shooting threat. However, I'd wager a guess Green doesn't try Pettersson out on PP1 until mid season. PP1 will probably be Bo, Baer, Brock, Edler, Stecher/Gagner for most of the season.
But I thought the vets weren’t blocking anybody??

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boeser will miss the Sedins and Vanek on the pp, no doubt...but I don't think the kid is done improving as an NHL player either. I see him definitely picking up a step in his skating, and he'll be joining what now becomes the number one line on the Canucks with Horvat and Baertschi. So I suspect they'll get a lot more of those favorable offensive zone starts that the Sedins got last year. And as hard as it is to imagine, I'm thinking his shooting and shot selection could still actually improve as he matures and gets stronger.

Barring injury, I could easily see him hitting 40. One thing about Brock, he finds a way to score his goals even when the Canucks are having a poor night.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

He basically was on pace for 40 last year. Also, 35 is reasonable and 40 is lol? The sky is the limit for this player, especially if he can find chemistry with an elite offensive player like we all hope Pettersson will be on the PP. He made what he did this season look easy, so I don't know why he has any limits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad