LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Not really a comment on York or one to insult you but really not much of a clip to show his talent. The goalie takes himself about of position with poor technique and is unable to get back in the play. Number 27 is either gassed or making a really lazy play.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
To have Sanheim Myers Provorov with Zemula and York on the way. In time this will be the best Flyers d since we had Howe and Mccrimmon as partners. Still hate we passed on Caufield twice but York really really nice consolation prize.

I expect we'll soon see the best and deepest Flyers D group in franchise history. I can't wait to see Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Zamula, and York.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
York played alright. The Michigan team as a whole had a terrible night moving the puck so hard to say if he was actually moving the puck well or he just looked good compared to everyone else playing awful.

He made some smart pinches but also some pretty bad passes. Not a bad game overall but certainly not great either. He’s still really young though.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
16 points in 26 games as a freshman for a team who haven’t had the best year and seem to be offensively inclined! Anyone who follows Michigan know how he has done individually throughout the year besides just statistically?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I expect we'll soon see the best and deepest Flyers D group in franchise history. I can't wait to see Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Zamula, and York.

Wasn't the same thing said about Ghost, Provorov, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim?

Although to be fair Myers, Sanheim, and Provorov actually have NHL experience to base it off this time.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

Although to be fair Myers, Sanheim, and Provorov actually have NHL experience to base it off this time.

I don't recall people being overly thrilled with Hagg. Ghost was coming along quite well until injuries (and one godawful coach) derailed what looked to be one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. Morin has also been plagued with injury. Throw in Patrick and Lindbloms health issues...Philly could be looking very very good if they didn't rear their ugly head.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I mean... this year Provorov, Sanheim and Myers have been pretty fantastic overall.

Provorov and Sanheim both arguably playing at ~#2 Dman level... and Myers playing well in a top four role. All three are 23

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

There was good reason to have high hopes. Ghost was a top 3 Dman in the league that year. I think has the highest ppg for dman. Sanhiem was a monster. Morin looked to be a unique force and Myers had a lot of hype. Provy was Provy. Hagg sucks.

This year sanheim is still a monster. Provy is playing very well. Myers is somewhat up and down, but better than he should be at this point and he’s been playing very well the last month plus. Their future D will be their strength. Never mind Hart and the offense.

I only wish we could have locked up sanheim for 5-6 years but that would have been dumb for him.

I think Ghost will be drafted to Seattle vs traded. But that’s ok with the really good kids we have coming.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
16 points in 26 games as a freshman for a team who haven’t had the best year and seem to be offensively inclined! Anyone who follows Michigan know how he has done individually throughout the year besides just statistically?

I think he’s playing hurt (I think remember hearing he could have a high ankle sprain?). I could be wrong though. Michigan’s on BTN a fair amount so on the Flyers board there’s a decent amount of people that watch the games.

The team in general is pretty bad & a tough watch most nights. So I guess there really isn’t opportunities for him to really rack up big numbers offensively. I guess the key with him is he’s often just an efficient player. He doesn’t really have too many really poor games.

Reactions: Nabrules

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

Not to mention Phillys D leads the league in goals.

Funkymoses

I think he’s playing hurt (I think remember hearing he could have a high ankle sprain?). I could be wrong though. Michigan’s on BTN a fair amount so on the Flyers board there’s a decent amount of people that watch the games.

The team in general is pretty bad & a tough watch most nights. So I guess there really isn’t opportunities for him to really rack up big numbers offensively. I guess the key with him is he’s often just an efficient player. He doesn’t really have too many really poor games.

Michigan is offensively challenged so he's not racking up points like he might otherwise. As far as I know he's been healthy. He's looked fine for the most part but compared to other guys who have been at Michigan like Hughes, Trouba, and Werenski he doesn't leap off the ice as an obvious future NHL player.

He is very reliable; I think a big chunk of M's defense getting better this year is going from Hughes to York. Hughes is obviously awesome but his sophomore year was probably the most irresponsible season I've ever seen from a Michigan D.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
What do people think his potential is? I've always gone on the assumption if he hits his ceiling he can be a solid #3 or #4 who puts about around 35 points.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Michigan is offensively challenged so he's not racking up points like he might otherwise. As far as I know he's been healthy. He's looked fine for the most part but compared to other guys who have been at Michigan like Hughes, Trouba, and Werenski he doesn't leap off the ice as an obvious future NHL player.

He is very reliable; I think a big chunk of M's defense getting better this year is going from Hughes to York. Hughes is obviously awesome but his sophomore year was probably the most irresponsible season I've ever seen from a Michigan D.
Plenty of offense coming next season

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

He had a couple lower body injuries at the start of the season. Possibly a high ankle sprain.
Brent Flahr said:
Well, the games I’ve been at, he’s been terrific. I know he’s been injured, and he (was) playing on one leg one night I was there
Top 20 Flyers prospects: Assistant GM Brent Flahr weighs in...

How that has impacted his play is anyone's guess. He's never really been an "elite" skater as the Assistant GM seems to think, but he could probably stand to carry the puck a little more and look to create for himself. Every once in a while he'll wheel with the puck and leave you wondering why he doesn't do it more often, but more often than not he elects to go for safe, high percentage play, and on this Michigan team, with little skill up front, plays often go to die (aka not the '01 NTDP crop). For a guy known for his skill and offensive package, he plays a pretty conservative game. He has some of the smoothest, softest hands you will find in a teenage defenseman. He could probably afford to add a little more risk to his game.

Aside from a couple plays in the Minnesota series last weekend, his defensive positioning has been excellent pretty much all year. He's undersized but you would never know it. He has good gaps. A good stick. He never leaves himself vulnerable for big collisions. His internal clock is phenomenal when it comes to moving the puck in the defensive zone. His puck retrievals and puck pickups are top notch as well.

I know Michigan has some big recruits coming on campus next season, but a lot of times potential doesn't equal success at the college level (see: Wisconsin). Personally, I would like to see him turn pro. He's a really polished player for his age, who I think would benefit from the higher pace and tempo that pro hockey can offer. I certainly don't think he would be hurt playing another season in the Big Ten but I think he's ready for the next challenge.

What do people think his potential is? I've always gone on the assumption if he hits his ceiling he can be a solid #3 or #4 who puts about around 35 points.
His value is in his floor. He has very few holes in his game. He's pretty much good at everything and he has the skill and more importantly the smarts to hit the upper limits of his offensive ceiling. What he lacks are the top notch physical traits that generally come with top half of the first round prospects. I'll stay away from the point projections because that is very much dependent on PP time and I've wasted too much time thinking people would eventually figure out that Provorov isn't an ideal PP1 type.

Without speaking in absolutes, I would be shocked if he's not a really good 2nd pair defenseman with the potential to offer #2 value if he gets the keys to PP1. I think he's going to be a micro-stat darling, especially with transitioning the puck out of the DZ. He's as efficient as I have seen in that department. Provorov and Sanheim locking down the top 4 left side slots could impact his outlook, but I think he'll work his way in to the mix in some form or fashion.

Reactions: Stizzle and Zaddy

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

..And it's true. Flyers have the best defense in 2020. They'll keep Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers together for years. It is likely Morin won't ever pan out because he's already had two torn ACL's in his early 20's...and he was already behind in his development as it was.

Hagg is a reliable #5-#7 although he'll probably look for a steady role once his contract is up.

Niskanen and Braun really complete the Flyers Top 6 atm.

Flyers have BEST defense in 2020

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
He had a couple lower body injuries at the start of the season. Possibly a high ankle sprain.

Top 20 Flyers prospects: Assistant GM Brent Flahr weighs in...

How that has impacted his play is anyone's guess. He's never really been an "elite" skater as the Assistant GM seems to think, but he could probably stand to carry the puck a little more and look to create for himself. Every once in a while he'll wheel with the puck and leave you wondering why he doesn't do it more often, but more often than not he elects to go for safe, high percentage play, and on this Michigan team, with little skill up front, plays often go to die (aka not the '01 NTDP crop). For a guy known for his skill and offensive package, he plays a pretty conservative game. He has some of the smoothest, softest hands you will find in a teenage defenseman. He could probably afford to add a little more risk to his game.

Aside from a couple plays in the Minnesota series last weekend, his defensive positioning has been excellent pretty much all year. He's undersized but you would never know it. He has good gaps. A good stick. He never leaves himself vulnerable for big collisions. His internal clock is phenomenal when it comes to moving the puck in the defensive zone. His puck retrievals and puck pickups are top notch as well.

I know Michigan has some big recruits coming on campus next season, but a lot of times potential doesn't equal success at the college level (see: Wisconsin). Personally, I would like to see him turn pro. He's a really polished player for his age, who I think would benefit from the higher pace and tempo that pro hockey can offer. I certainly don't think he would be hurt playing another season in the Big Ten but I think he's ready for the next challenge.

His value is in his floor. He has very few holes in his game. He's pretty much good at everything and he has the skill and more importantly the smarts to hit the upper limits of his offensive ceiling. What he lacks are the top notch physical traits that generally come with top half of the first round prospects. I'll stay away from the point projections because that is very much dependent on PP time and I've wasted too much time thinking people would eventually figure out that Provorov isn't an ideal PP1 type.

Without speaking in absolutes, I would be shocked if he's not a really good 2nd pair defenseman with the potential to offer #2 value if he gets the keys to PP1. I think he's going to be a micro-stat darling, especially with transitioning the puck out of the DZ. He's as efficient as I have seen in that department. Provorov and Sanheim locking down the top 4 left side slots could impact his outlook, but I think he'll work his way in to the mix in some form or fashion.

Thanks for the reply, I tend to agree with your take!

Reactions: FLYguy3911

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Ghost aint even in the top 6 anymore? Its crazy when u think that 2 years ago he had 65 points and one of the best rookie campaign for a dman when he joined the league. I hope he finds a way to bounce back somewhere else. Wouldnt hate him in montreal in a pure qb role.

Reactions: Devonator

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Got a high ankle sprain in the first game of the year and played through it mostly.

Also had a shoulder problem pre-WJC and played through it.

*info directly from York when I spoke to him at WJC.

Reactions: ttp

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Would it be irresponsible to want him to jump ship and spend all of next season with the Phantoms?

I mean, unless Michigan gets an infusion of offensive talent next year, it doesn't seem like he's in the best situation to develop his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad