LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Absolutely disappointed in this pick. Flyers went for need instead of BPA.

Seriously, why are the flyers allergic to goal scorers? They like players that can do everything to help score goals, but not score themselves.

Oh well, now we can lose 4-1 instead of 5-1
Agtee, outside of Gagne and Carter I can't think of a legit sniper they've drafted or had in the last 25 years

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
The rabid masses on Flyers twitter are freaking out because they passed on Caufield.

When don't they ... never happy... Half the fans make it hard to be a fan. In Philly there is the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day.
I'm fine with the pick, can't wait to watch him develop and let's see. Saw his NHL comparable was Mark Giordano, let's hope right?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
A LHD who might not even play in the NHL till 2022-23 is not a "need" for the Flyers.

They currently have 5 LHD aged 26 or less on the roster.

Prospect pipeline need. I thought that was obvious but apparently not.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
When don't they ... never happy... Half the fans make it hard to be a fan. In Philly there is the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day.
I'm fine with the pick, can't wait to watch him develop and let's see. Saw his NHL comparable was Mark Giordano, let's hope right?

Isn’t Giordano pretty physical? Don’t get the sense that York will play with an edge—not to say that’s a bad thing.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
how did they draft for need when their strongest position is LHD? Ghost has to be on his way out to make room for Sanheim on his natural side!

I’m not sure if you realize that Gostisbehere has mostly played RD since his debut? Sanheim was broken in at RD, but he’s better at LD.

Anyway, after the trades, this is a guess on how the defense will look:

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Braun
Gostisbehere-Myers

Fletcher seems to value LH-RH pairs, however, there’s not much of a rush to trade a defenseman. York is 2 or so seasons from joining the Flyers. I want to see how Provorov rebounds and Myers develops before I’d consider trading any of the top 4. I think Gostisbehere and Sanheim lead the depth chart, though usage isn’t indicative of that

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I’m not sure if you realize that Gostisbehere has mostly played RD since his debut? Sanheim was broken in at RD, but he’s better at LD.

Anyway, after the trades, this is a guess on how the defense will look:

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Braun
Gostisbehere-Myers

Fletcher seems to value LH-RH pairs, however, there’s not much of a rush to trade a defenseman. York is 2 or so seasons from joining the Flyers. I want to see how Provorov rebounds and Myers develops before I’d consider trading any of the top 4. I think Gostisbehere and Sanheim lead the depth chart, though usage isn’t indicative of that

i know all this and still think Ghost is better suited at LHD, so is Sanheim, i'd favorize developping Sanheim to his natural positon and playing Ghost on the third pair is mehh, you'll just remove PP time for Prov and Sanheim! Call me crazy but i realy think Philly will trade him to stabilize the roster! he would also be inVigneault and Therrien's doghouse.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I compare this guy to Keith Yandle, a player that AV significantly underused. I hope AV's still there when York reaches the NHL. It'll be be funny to watch with AV trying to manage the minutes of a player who is comparable to Yandle.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Saw his NHL comparable was Mark Giordano, let's hope right?

His style and skill set is much more comparable to Keith Yandle than it is Mark Giordano or Andrei Markov. That said, if York ends up Yandle, the Flyers will be thrilled. However, I still think they are crazy for passing on a goal scoring machine who can be the next Alex DeBrincat. Caufield's hands are absolutely gross... dare I say Matthews-like. I'm not saying he will be Matthews, but like DeBrincat, I firmly believe he will be a 40 goal NHLer with gamebreaking sniper ability... something the Flyers haven't had in years or decades even.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
His style and skill set is much more comparable to Keith Yandle than it is Mark Giordano or Andrei Markov. That said, if York ends up Yandle, the Flyers will be thrilled. However, I still think they are crazy for passing on a goal scoring machine who can be the next Alex DeBrincat. Caufield's hands are absolutely gross... dare I say Matthews-like. I'm not saying he will be Matthews, but like DeBrincat, I firmly believe he will be a 40 goal NHLer with gamebreaking sniper ability... something the Flyers haven't had in years or decades even.

If the Flyers firmly believed that hes going to be a 40 goal scorer they probably would have drafted him. Also getting Brink alongside a highly talented D prospect like York seems totally fine to me. This combination also helps filling some holes in our prospect pool that tend to develop longer than a pure goalscorer.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah I'm a little surprised Philadelphia drafted York given their future on the blueline. However, I guess you don't draft on need right? BPA (in their minds at least).

That, or they're having questions about the young guys they currently have.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
As a Flyer fan I have to agree...we are already well set with the future of our defense....Why we wouldn't at least take a gamble on a potential sniper is odd to me...true Caufield may amount to nothing and we may have gotten an excellent young D in York...But I still would have swung for the fences and gone with the Sniper!

PhillyFaninMTL

Mar 30, 2016
Montreal
Yeah I'm a little surprised Philadelphia drafted York given their future on the blueline. However, I guess you don't draft on need right? BPA (in their minds at least).

Although we have a great young core of defensemen breaking into the NHL, by drafting York, you could actually argue we were drafting for need rather than BPA.

Our prospect pool was full of forwards (Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, Rubstov, Allison) but lacked any highly touted D prospects (with Myers expected to graduate)

Would have much rather gone Caufield but trading down + adding Brink definitely softened the blow

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017

If you look down the road to the expansion draft, there is a chance the Flyers lose one of their young defensemen. York also provides some insurance in that area.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Isn’t Giordano pretty physical? Don’t get the sense that York will play with an edge—not to say that’s a bad thing.
York “watches” for hits, although he doesn’t have that “edge”. He’s a very smart physical player. He won’t pull a Robert Hagg and chase a hit which brings him out of position. If you put yourself in a position to be hit, he’ll hit you.

Podkokzin isn’t a small player either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad