LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Flyers fans: how did you feel about this pick when it was made? Given your immense forward depth (both on the NHL roster and prospect pool) it seems like this was the right pick.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Flyers fans: how did you feel about this pick when it was made? Given your immense forward depth (both on the NHL roster and prospect pool) it seems like this was the right pick.
I think most of us were livid that we passed up on Caufield and frankly I am still not happy with our selection...not that York is bad pick but we really needed more of a potential sniper type......I am taking a wait and see but I bet we are going to regret not taking Cole when we had the chance....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I wanted Boldy when he dropped to our initial pick to be honest. Wasn’t too crazy about passing him up. But that wasn’t anything against York who I still liked.

The additional draft capital acquired with the trade down helped us later move up to draft Brink. So that changed my mind even at the time of the draft.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Once we were able to moved some of the assets that we attained when we moved down to move up and take Brink then I was more ok with it.

At the time I was flabbergasted. Saw York as a solid D-man, but not dynamic and didn't have the tantalizing upside of a Caufield and Boldy.

When we added Brink then I figured total value was greater or equal to Caufield and Boldy.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Being a Flyers fan I’m still surprised they took York given the talent that was available at 14, especially considering their left side is pretty much set with Provorov and Sanheim the next 5-7 years. Definitely not saying York was a bad pick, but I’m surprised they didn’t go for Krebs, Newhook or CC.

I guess you always take your BPA, which I agree with. Hope he reaches his ceiling of being a top 3 dman

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I actually believed Flyers were going after Krebs or Newhook. If they wanted another LHD, they would have pursued size in Harley.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I was hoping we’d get a shot at either Boldy or Caulfield. I couldn’t believe we had the opportunity to choose between the two. When we traded down, I flipped out, but was thrilled when we found ourselves staring at Caulfield again, and then they took a York. I was in shock. To me York was the best dman left at that spot, but man, we needed a sniper. The Brink pick made me feel better. I am hoping we get the sniper this year.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I was hoping we’d get a shot at either Boldy or Caulfield. I couldn’t believe we had the opportunity to choose between the two. When we traded down, I flipped out, but was thrilled when we found ourselves staring at Caulfield again, and then they took a York. I was in shock. To me York was the best dman left at that spot, but man, we needed a sniper. The Brink pick made me feel better. I am hoping we get the sniper this year.

I flipped my shit both times as well. They said “from the USNTDP” and I started jumping in excitement then was left standing with my jaw on the floor

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I flipped my shit both times as well. They said “from the USNTDP” and I started jumping in excitement then was left standing with my jaw on the floor
Yes! When they said from the USNDTP I was screaming “We got Caulfield!” Then they said “defenseman” I was saying you have got to be kidding. As I said I liked York, thought he was the best D man out there at that point, but I loved Caulfield. He was the answer.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Yes! When they said from the USNDTP I was screaming “We got Caulfield!” Then they said “defenseman” I was saying you have got to be kidding. As I said I liked York, thought he was the best D man out there at that point, but I loved Caulfield. He was the answer.

This was me exactly. I was in Ocean City NJ, and I steamed up the Boardwalk with clenched fists for a good mile absolutely livid. I think the pick is OK, but I still think they should have gotten Caulfield.

Bender B Rodriguez

Apr 24, 2020
Like many, I was little dissapointed when they drafted York instead of Caufield, Newhook or Boldy. It has nothing to do with York as a player, it just felt that there was lot of dynamic forward talent available when they picked. I agree that York is widely underrated and I have been quilty to that as well. If he can be that number 2/3 defenceman in Flyers, that is as a great pick at 14th overall.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I think in a vacuum the value may go to York but Caufield was more of a need. Like others stated, getting Brink in the next pick really helped with accepting the choice to take York over Caufield.
How? Boldy, Newhook and Caufield are all far more valuable than either of York or Brink.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
How? Boldy, Newhook and Caufield are all far more valuable than either of York or Brink.
Newhook was my 1st choice, then Caufield. I would have wanted York over Boldy... all four are comparable.

Getting Brink in the 2nd offsets any defensemen they could have gotten in the 2nd, meaning... York+Brink is better than any combo they could have gotten with Newhook+D, Boldy+D and Caulfield+D. Brink is probably the second best pure goal scorer of the draft and is a Caufield-lite.

Reactions: Devonator

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Hope the Whole Covid situation doesn’t affect the NCAA schedule too much, Michigan is going to be completely opposite from what they were this year. York should benefit a lot from actually having some high end forwards to pass to this year

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Newhook was my 1st choice, then Caufield. I would have wanted York over Boldy... all four are comparable.

Getting Brink in the 2nd offsets any defensemen they could have gotten in the 2nd, meaning... York+Brink is better than any combo they could have gotten with Newhook+D, Boldy+D and Caulfield+D. Brink is probably the second best pure goal scorer of the draft and is a Caufield-lite.
What? Brink is nowhere near that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad