LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Wasn't the same thing said about Ghost, Provorov, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim?

Although to be fair Myers, Sanheim, and Provorov actually have NHL experience to base it off this time.
No, absolutely not. Hagg was never supposed to be anything more than what he is now. In fact he has done better than most projected which isn't saying much. Morin was seen as a huge project that had a slim chance of being a top pair bruiser but most likely a 2nd pair bruiser, injuries completely derailed the kid. Ghost at the time was an emerging star and one of the best offensive D in the entire league. In short, Morin and Hagg weren't as hyped as York or Zamula and nowhere near current Myers.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Will probably go pro after this year.

Flyers AGM said they typically like to have college guys have a dominant year before they go pro and that 2 and done is possible for York.

Reactions: Zaddy

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Surprised his page has been cold with how good he's been playing in this tournament. Easily the best defensemen right now in the tournament and the offense floww through him when he's on the ice. He really has a knack for the break out and moving the puck.

Last edited:

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Typical Cam York performance so far at the world juniors. Smooth, silky and efficient. Oh yea he’s leading all defensemen in points, something he usually does in tournaments like these.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
So he (or his parents) were Ducks season ticket holders. I wonder if the #4 he is rocking is anyhow related to Cam Fowler, who is also a smooth skating, reliable defenseman.

Because no famous defenseman have worn #4 befORR lol

Besides, his # until UofM was historically 2

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Am I wrong or has York been as good as any defenseman in this tournament? I feel like he's not gotten proper due because some other defensemen were picked higher, but York's still a top half of the first round pick in his second tournament who has been really good on both ends of the ice. He's second among defensemen in points with 6 through 4 games.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Am I wrong or has York been as good as any defenseman in this tournament? I feel like he's not gotten proper due because some other defensemen were picked higher, but York's still a top half of the first round pick in his second tournament who has been really good on both ends of the ice. He's second among defensemen in points with 6 through 4 games.
I never zoned in on York when I watched USA, so tbh I can't really say. The defensemen in this tourny are a bit underwhelming IMO. In my eyes, the Swedes D are kinda bad, I was expecting way, way more from them, especially Broberg and Soderstrom. Same for the finns, although Niemela has caught my attention, he's playing well. Byram, Drysdale and Harley are playing good for Canada, but I was expecting a bit more from them (they did play bad teams, no disrespect, so maybe they weren't really used to their full potential because of that). USA's D is also underwhelming to me, and they did make... weird choices. Maybe York has been the better dman in the tourny, I can't say for sure, but the Dmen overall have played meh so far.

PS : Not saying any of these guys suck, I just think they're not having a great tournament. It happens.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
York has pretty clearly to me been the best defenseman in the tournament

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
York's play is generally very understated. He's the type of guy you barely notice but is out there playing big minutes while making no mistakes and constantly pushing the play in the right direction. I do wish he would show off his creativity offensively a little more often but all-in-all he's a terrific defenseman. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He won a Championship on his 20th birthday.

Played a great tournament on the whole. There's no doubt he struggled in the SF, but he bounced back the very next day and led the defense to a great performance. Great resilience and a great tournament. One of the most underrated prospects there is. He'll be a very good player for the Flyers. I don't want to get into the merits of Caufield vs. York+Brink because it doesn't matter right now and all three just won Gold, but York was absolutely a good pick for the Flyers at the slot.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
York's play is generally very understated. He's the type of guy you barely notice but is out there playing big minutes while making no mistakes and constantly pushing the play in the right direction. I do wish he would show off his creativity offensively a little more often but all-in-all he's a terrific defenseman. Sky is the limit for this kid.
I think lots of Flyers fans are correct in saying they see lots of Kimmo Timonen when they watch York. Always makes the correct safe play and is usually just steady as can be.

Interesting you mention the creativity part because a respected Flyers poster on our board said the same thing that they wish he would take a bit more chances offensively because when he does, he usually makes they proper decisions. Having him and Zumula on the way sure is nice to have.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I think lots of Flyers fans are correct in saying they see lots of Kimmo Timonen when they watch York. Always makes the correct safe play and is usually just steady as can be.

Interesting you mention the creativity part because a respected Flyers poster on our board said the same thing that they wish he would take a bit more chances offensively because when he does, he usually makes they proper decisions. Having him and Zumula on the way sure is nice to have.

Yep, especially considering what they're adding it to on the back end.

Reactions: Tripod

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
California kid captains Team USA to a gold medal in hockey. How cool is hockey's growth? I thought Team USA might need a McAvoy level performance out of him this tournament, and while he wasn't that good, he was very good overall.
I think Samuelli's (Ducks owners) are underrated. They do a lot to grow the game in the area. Starting with the Rinks program, to ADHSHL, to Great Park Ice facility and so on. York is from Anaheim, Johnson is from Irvine.

That being said Brisson is from Manhatan Beach, which I guess is closer to LA, and Wolf is from SJ area.
All 4 California players made some contribution to the US road to gold. I can only imagine more players will come out from California, as at least Samuelis are continuing to support the growth of the game in the area. I am not that familiar with Kings and Sharks efforts but can imagine they are working on it as well.

EDIT: here is an article about the Cali kids. Turns out Wolf as well played on Junior Kings along with Brisson. And York and Johnson played on Junior Ducks and were even sometimes coached by Scott Niedermayer. So perhaps not a coincidence that Junior Ducks produced 2 Team USA defensemen.
Top Prospects Take an Unconventional Path to the World Juniors

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad