Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Florida is just playing smothering hockey... They are at the top of their game right now.
A model for where the Sens should try to get to.
Yep, that’s what I was thinking. Aside from 10 minutes in the second, suffocating hockey, Tampa had no room anywhere, reminds me of Carolina. And not really built on 1-2 superstars that can be simply shut down.

Tarasenko looks slow
He didn’t here, which speaks for itself I guess

Reactions: Dionysus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That top 4 of Romanov Dobson Pulock and Pelech looks way worse when sorokin isn’t stopping a puck

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Florida is just playing smothering hockey... They are at the top of their game right now.
A model for where the Sens should try to get to.

Massive defensive breakdown last game in a tie game (I think). Great save by bob

Vasilevskiy has made some great saves as well. But one team has won 3 games and the other nada. Its the team that plays that “smothering team defenses” that is winning. It's OK to drop the crusade for a minute to admit the obvious truth.

What I’ve noticed this playoffs is that on most goals, there is a lot of traffic in front of the net. The goalie can’t stop the puck because he doesn’t see it. That’s another facet of the game (In addition to the important one mentioned above) that we could be better at and is worth emulating imho.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
But that's the thing....Coyotes go from the team on the top of everyone's no trade lists, to a reasonably attractive destination.

Which also mean Canadian teams, and a few other franchises, drop one notch down on the desirability list. Not good for us, at the end of the day.

I must have missed something, what exactly is attractive about Utah?

Reactions: OD99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That was a decade ago, and they haven't done anything since the last cup. I guess he got a Norris nomination in 2018 but he really hasn't been in the limelight for a while now.

But what a draft pick, been through 2 rebuilds with your team 2 Cups, Norris trophy, 1200 games and just having Doughty as a top Pairing building block for his career goes to show you how a top Dman can really build your program up

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sorokin looks utterly defeated mentally.

I hope Lou goes full oldhead wacko and trades Sorokin and Pelech to us for Chabot, Korpisalo, Brannstrom and Boston's 1st.

• Haha
Reactions: senswon

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sorokin looks utterly defeated mentally.

I hope Lou goes full oldhead wacko and trades Sorokin and Pelech to us for Chabot, Korpisalo, Brannstrom and Boston's 1st.
Would we not want Pullock over Pelech from an org needs standpoint? I mean, we are talking fantasy land here either way... might as well go after Dobson...

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Would we not want Pullock over Pelech from an org needs standpoint? I mean, we are talking fantasy land here either way... might as well go after Dobson...
Chabot out, Pelech in
We sign DeMelo and Tanev
Chychrun out and Ullmark in

Sandy Zub
Pelech DeMelo
Brannchise Tanev

Ullmark

Plan the fkn parade

Reactions: BigRig4

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot out, Pelech in
We sign DeMelo and Tanev
Chychrun out and Ullmark in

Sandy Zub
Pelech DeMelo
Brannchise Tanev

Ullmark

Plan the fkn parade
Idk, I think that group lacks offence from the back end. Sanderson can do more than he has, but to date his career high is 38 pts. Pelech, Zub and DeMelo are all guys that can not hurt you but aren't really big offensive contributors. They need someone else to take the reigns. Brannstrom is a guy that despite being touted as an offensive minded D, has never seen that translate into real world production.

As a bit of an aside,

in one or two of the other threads, the Athletic player cards got brought up as a quick and dirty way of evaluating players contributions relative to their pay.

Pelech has, according to their analysis, a market value of 3.2 compared to real salary of 5.8, for a minus 2.6 net value... Chabot is 4.6 mv vs 8 so -3.4

Reactions: bicboi64

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I find that Pulock is nowhere near as good as he was 3+ years ago

Brannchise is one of my favourites. No other player has a nickname as cool as him

Brannstrom - Tanev could literally be the best 3rd pairing in the league

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Have you ever been to Salt Lake City?
Yes. And when you hear about all the things that young, rich guys are looking for, it doesn't stack up.

Beautiful, for sure. Great for outdoors stuff, but not a hip place to go hang. Maybe it has changed in 4 years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes. And when you hear about all the things that young, rich guys are looking for, it doesn't stack up.

Beautiful, for sure. Great for outdoors stuff, but not a hip place to go hang. Maybe it has changed in 4 years.
What could be more fun than partying with Mormons?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

It's a heck of a lot better than a dozen or so NHL cities. Better weather and guys that like to party can head up to Park City. It's very "white" but if an NBA team can thrive there that should not bother an NHL team.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
It's a heck of a lot better than a dozen or so NHL cities. Better weather and guys that like to party can head up to Park City. It's very "white" but if an NBA team can thrive there that should not bother an NHL team.
What?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad