Confirmed with Link: D Brooks Orpik signed (five years, $5.5M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's funny that the same people who love to put together mock trades despite having no insider information suddenly become 100% unwilling to listen to anyone's opinions about real deals that offer actual context.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
1 year 1 million is too much for Orpik. Last year, I wanted to ship him off to Siberia - he's a pylon and turnover machine. He can still hit, but 5 years 5.5 million?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
we would have needed to offer a first round pick to better the buffalo pick. we also have no idea of Washington was on gorges' list. if he was not all this complaining is pissing in the wind.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
we would have needed to offer a first round pick to better the buffalo pick. we also have no idea of Washington was on gorges' list. if he was not all this complaining is pissing in the wind.

Thanks for your insider knowledge of what Montreal wanted. Definitely no way they would have had any interest in a roster player that filled their needs, multiple 2nd round picks, 2015 picks, or prospects.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Buffalo was on his list! BUFFALO
He specified Toronto wasn't on his list because of the rivalry with Montreal. He didn't want to go to a bitter rival. He didn't want to go to a Canadian team, either. So rule out Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Boston (Mtl rival). That leaves only 7 more teams for him to rule out. You think Washington was one of those seven? Despite the reports he expanded his list of available options yesterday, and it apparently included BUFFALO?

GMBM ****ed up here. It's not hard to admit.

buffalo is the closest team to his family other than Toronto.

7 teams to rule out. Washington, Raleigh, Miami, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Nashville, Phoenix.

but...ok. MacLellan or Trotz or Leonsis or whoever is calling the shots messed it up. What then?

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
So many of you have been brainwashed by the crap that has been iced the last several years into thinking that this contract is even borderline reasonable. There is no value in the contract today (he migghht be a $5.5M player this year) and will only get worse every year from here on out. Sure, they're a slightly better team than they were 4 hours ago, but at what cost?

I have a question for everyone who have convinced themselves this is a reasonable deal. Should they have signed Bolland for $5.5M to be the 3C? Hey, he's better than the 3Cs they iced the last couple years. What's a couple million overpay if it results in a marginal increase in effectiveness? They'd be a better team today!

Sad thought of the day:
Stastny + Fayne = $10.625M
Orpik + Laich = $10M

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Thanks for your insider knowledge of what Montreal wanted. Definitely no way they would have had any interest in a roster player that filled their needs, multiple 2nd round picks, 2015 picks, or prospects.

I have no idea what they wanted. You have already said they wanted picks and cap space.

first question: was Washington on Gorges' trade to list? I haven't seen the list. Have you? If the Caps were on the list, blame someone for not wanting him.

If the Caps were not on the list, then we know why the Caps weren't in on him. For me its easy to think something logical like that was in play than jumping to the conclusion that the Caps weren't interested.

I don't choose anger first.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Those defending this deal, go ahead and put it in a post that you prefer Orpik at 5x$5.5M to all of Josh Gorges, Brad Stuart, Mark Fayne, and Anton Stralman. Just limiting to guys who have already been moved today, and even leaving off Ehrhoff, still available free agents (Mitchell) and likely available players (Grossmann). Just record your support of this deal over all the other options.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Perhaps Girardi and MacDonald were used as comparables but this isn't arbitration and Orpik doesn't bring as much offense as those two. Otherwise, defensive-defensemen don't get paid $5M+ and those two are both younger and bring more offense to the table.

This is a contract that falls under 'the best move is no move territory' so the Gorges stuff can really be set aside. The cap has gone up and such when it comes to past long-term deals but even then it's hard to argue paying this out to a soon-to-be 34 year-old.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Those defending this deal, go ahead and put it in a post that you prefer Orpik at 5x$5.5M to all of Josh Gorges, Brad Stuart, Mark Fayne, and Anton Stralman. Just limiting to guys who have already been moved today, and even leaving off Ehrhoff, still available free agents (Mitchell) and likely available players (Grossmann). Just record your support of this deal over all the other options.

classic HF....."youre either with us or against us"

for those that think this isnt the end of the world, we must support the deal....that it?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

for those that think this isnt the end of the world, we must support the deal....that it?

So you think those who question the deal are saying the world is ending?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

If you're not upset with paying the most for the worst of the 2nd pairing defensemen available, what will make you upset?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ok guys funny haha keep laughing at me, making a thread with faux numbers to mess with me.

No worries though, for if it's true, I am sure we will use our compliance buyout on him THIS offseason.

Joking aside, did we get into a bidding war with Feaster?

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
Ok guys funny haha keep laughing at me, making a thread with faux numbers to mess with me.

No worries though, for if it's true, I am sure we will use our compliance buyout on him THIS offseason.

Joking aside, did we get into a bidding war with Feaster?

You cannot amnesty Orpik. I really feel bad for you guys.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just don't see the value in getting bent out of shape over things that didn't happen when we can have no idea why they didn't happen. of those only a small percentage add up to capitals incompetence.

things that did happen? I thought the caps would get orpik. 5m for 5 years never occurred to me and is awful. said so right away.

I can hope that orpik is not this year's Clarkson. I take this into account. The Caps have an assistant coach that was on the Pens staff last season. Saw him as up close as possible. I think its more likely he was pushing Orpik rather than screaming NO!!!!

Trotz worked for Team USA GM Poile and may have had access to other quality information on Orpik. If the guy was totally done, I am trying to see why these people of knowledge would recommend hiring this player.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
From the Vogel write up.

Orpik led the Penguins in shorthanded ice time in each of the last two seasons and was second on the club in that department in each of the two seasons before that. He has been among the top 25 in the league in shorthanded ice-time in each of the last four seasons, topping out at fifth (3:44 per game) in 2010-11, the season in which Pittsburgh boasted the best penalty-killing outfit in the NHL. The Penguins have been a top five penalty killing team in the circuit in three of the last four seasons.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Did I read correctly he is coming off a knee injury? Silver lining on the cloud, we can Poti stash him on LTIR if needed. I sure as hell hopes he still hits. Maybe he can be contagious on our listless D.

Hey at least we got MattyP back. Wait. Nevermind.

Justin Peters FTW!

Lineup is looking a little thin

MJ Nick Ovi
Kuz Laich Brouwer
Ward Beagle Chimera
Brown Latta Wilson

Orrpik Green
Karl Carl
Erskine Orlov
Hillen

Status
Not open for further replies.