Confirmed with Link: D Brooks Orpik signed (five years, $5.5M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 51464

you all need to relax. Orpik is one of the best pure best defensive D-men in the game. I don't know much about Corsi or Fenwick but I do know the game, having been fortunate enough to play it on the collegiate level. He stays in position. He hits like a Mack truck. He clears the crease. He blocks shots. He's no Duncan Keith but he's also no John Erskine if you know what I mean. I would have guessed his Cap hit to be about what it was given his experience, Stanley Cup ring and reputation. I would've like to see the deal no longer than four years but GMBM said it was necessary to get the job done. Orpik could fade away like Poti or he could be like Nick Lindstrom. Only time will tell.

To me the real risk here is Niskanen. He has only one strong year under his belt. If he doesn't continue to improve this contract could be an albatross. However if he continues to prove improve they could've got a steal.

The bottom line is after many years of standing pat or producing minor deals they at least took a chance to move forward

His hitting has gone way down the last couple seasons. At least in terms of impactful "bone-crunching" type hits. I do think he stays in position better now than he used to, but that may just be a part of his wheels not being quite as good as they once were (in his younger years, I think Orpik was pretty underrated as a skater. Dude could fly). The crease clearing part is 100% untrue. Regular season or playoffs, he spent a LOT of time poking at pucks in the crease with his stick instead of burying the player who went on to score the goal. The guy isn't totally done as some are saying, but he isn't quite what you described him to be.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
When Brooks Orpik is in play all other friendly creatures receive a -6/-6 reduction to Corsi For/Goals For. When Brooks Orpik is tapped user must send 2C to the graveyard.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
He may be getting older, slower, less aggressive, and more fragile, but if it comes to that, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
Some random questions

Are his advanced metrics worse than Erskine?

No. He faced the toughest competition, got a lot of D zone starts, and had possession numbers similar to Erskine (who also saw a lot of D zone starts but played against terrible competition).

Here is Erskine and the rest of the Caps D. Red is <50% Corsi. Blue is >50%. The axis are how good the guys are you are playing against (vertical) and your offensive zone start percentage.

Here is Orpik and the rest of the Penguins D to compare.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
If he is a 3/4D for two+ years and a 5/6 for the balance, but he helps mentor and change the culture, then I can live with it.

My feelings are similar - the Caps obviously overpaid in money and term. OTOH, the defense corps is better today than it was June 30. Now, how much better, and the ROI on the contracts is very much debatable, but the Caps have a better top 6 now than they did.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No. He faced the toughest competition, got a lot of D zone starts, and had possession numbers similar to Erskine (who also saw a lot of D zone starts but played against terrible competition).

Here is Erskine and the rest of the Caps D. Red is <50% Corsi. Blue is >50%. The axis are how good the guys are you are playing against (vertical) and your offensive zone start percentage.

Here is Orpik and the rest of the Penguins D to compare.

Thanks for sharing. I wonder did Erskine get to play a lot with our top line? It seemed many were complaining about why Ovi always got our bottom pairing.

I wonder who suffered worse if true. Nick and Ovi have never looked worse at ES. And it lasted the entire season. Ovi played with horrible defensemen when he was potting fiddy no problem early in his career. While trucking defensemen at every chance.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My feelings are similar - the Caps obviously overpaid in money and term. OTOH, the defense corps is better today than it was June 30. Now, how much better, and the ROI on the contracts is very much debatable, but the Caps have a better top 6 now than they did.

The Caps have needed a quality veteran since Witt left. Last season Green was the most experienced NHL d and he obviously was being dog housed by Oates. So, they had little veteran influence at all.

I still wonder if Oprik is a decent top 4 or more like a 3rd pair d and a buyout after two or three years. Even if that is all the Caps get on the ice, if he is able to be a first pair pk and able to hit some and be an on ice leader, I think his influence may make the contract worth it.

I think Orpik as a shut down d might easily be a pipedream, but we will see

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Orpik just confirmed on radio? that he was considering a similar offer from Colorado. Guess they're not the only ones who think he's worth that contract.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Orpik just confirmed on radio? that he was considering a similar offer from Colorado. Guess they're not the only ones who think he's worth that contract.

I think we'll find some front office types who don't think the contract is too far out of line. Still seems excessive to me. Hope he proves me wrong.

Halpysback*

They also kept Hunwick and O'Brien's careers afloat way longer than they should have been and thought giving up a 2nd for Brad Stuart was a good thing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

That backs up MacLellan's July1 presser comment where he said he went the 5th year because he risked losing Orpik without it. That meant there was another similar contract on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille