Confirmed with Link: D Brooks Orpik signed (five years, $5.5M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
We over paid a LOT for Orpik and Niskanen and there is no way any one could argue they are good deals....That being said, our D just got a lot better compared to last year. I'm not thrilled with these contract but we are a better team today than we were yesterday IMO.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Going into the prime of his career, Orpik signed a UFA deal equal to 6.6% of the salary cap at the time. Yesterday, at age 33, with declining play and injury concerns, he signed a deal equal to 8% of the salary cap.

I'm really, really struggling to find anything positive to say about this deal. I guess I'll go with "He's better than Erskine!".

Sigh.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Well, Orpik is an improvement in he area that the team needed most for so long, and he isn't Erskine really, he's a declined top pairing defenseman, but by God this contract is abominable.
I just want to say that Orlov better develop into a real top 4 RD quickly. Having a highly mobile skilled 2-way defenseman insured by a veteran shutdown guy is what this team was trying to build for so long. If he plays on a top pairing though... :help:

Orpik is not even close to a top pairing D-man. He'll probably be third pairing.

Vladiator16*

Going into the prime of his career, Orpik signed a UFA deal equal to 6.6% of the salary cap at the time. Yesterday, at age 33, with declining play and injury concerns, he signed a deal equal to 8% of the salary cap.

I'm really, really struggling to find anything positive to say about this deal. I guess I'll go with "He's better than Erskine!".

Sigh.

This is one of the worst signings i've ever seen...
I hope he proves us wrong...

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Orpik is not even close to a top pairing D-man. He'll probably be third pairing.

Yes, that's why I said "declined", sorry, I don't speak English. He actually was a #1 defenseman on the Pittsburgh Cup team, too bad...

ryan519*

you all need to relax. Orpik is one of the best pure best defensive D-men in the game. I don't know much about Corsi or Fenwick but I do know the game, having been fortunate enough to play it on the collegiate level. He stays in position. He hits like a Mack truck. He clears the crease. He blocks shots. He's no Duncan Keith but he's also no John Erskine if you know what I mean. I would have guessed his Cap hit to be about what it was given his experience, Stanley Cup ring and reputation. I would've like to see the deal no longer than four years but GMBM said it was necessary to get the job done. Orpik could fade away like Poti or he could be like Nick Lindstrom. Only time will tell.

To me the real risk here is Niskanen. He has only one strong year under his belt. If he doesn't continue to improve this contract could be an albatross. However if he continues to prove improve they could've got a steal.

The bottom line is after many years of standing pat or producing minor deals they at least took a chance to move forward

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
forever here we read constant ridicule of George McPhee for his risk aversion and his unwillingness to make bold moves. Had MacLellan been on the job for 5 years and the team struggling these would have been dubbed desperation/save his job moves.

by their nature, bold moves are going to be controversial. if everyone thought they were good moves, they wouldn't be bold.

I am afraid that Niskanen was a flash in the pan last season and that Orpik is running out of gas. But MacLellan and Trotz seem to think Niskanen just needed the chance and that Orpik is a major missing cog in the wheel. I am fine waiting to see how it works out.

Some of you guys seem to be so used to whining and moaning and sniping at McPhee that when you finally get a GM that embraces risk and makes bold moves that you can't get off that negative track and just have keep throwing barbs.

oh...I forgot. I hate fans. LOL. take a tip from Strung and give it a chance.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
Has this been mentioned anywhere? I'm not disbelieving, just haven't seen anything direct that indicates they anticipate splitting Carlson and Alzner.

Maclellan mentioned both scenarios in a press conference. Said he could envision Orpik-Carlson as a top shutdown pair/top PK. Also said he could envision him pairing with Green and stabilizing his game, too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Has this been mentioned anywhere? I'm not disbelieving, just haven't seen anything direct that indicates they anticipate splitting Carlson and Alzner.

MacLellan said during his post signings presser that he saw Orpik as a partner with Carlson as the shutdown pair. Secondarily he mentioned him playing with Green and stabilizing his game. But it was pretty clear the Carlson thing was what was on his mind.

The way he spoke about playing with Green, it sounded like he was trying not to leave something laying on the table to enflame the Green situation. It sounded both like an afterthought and top 4 minutes in the case they went that way

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Some of you guys seem to be so used to whining and moaning and sniping at McPhee that when you finally get a GM that embraces risk and makes bold moves that you can't get off that negative track and just have keep throwing barbs.

Like who? Can you provide specific examples of posters making similarly unreasonable arguments against both GMGM and Gmbm out of habit?

Or is this just your overall impression from reading a board full of diverse opinions and reactions?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Like who? Can you provide specific examples of posters making similarly unreasonable arguments against both GMGM and Gmbm out of habit?

Or is this just your overall impression from reading a board full of diverse opinions and reactions?

generally the most negative of posters in the McPhee era remain stridently negative now. you know the names.

and sure there is diverse opinion but there was diverse opinion during McPhee.

its not just me that has noted this attitude and pushed back against. look at the ryan519 post that starts with the opening line of "you all need to relax"

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
you all need to relax. Orpik is one of the best pure best defensive D-men in the game. I don't know much about Corsi or Fenwick but I do know the game, having been fortunate enough to play it on the collegiate level. He stays in position. He hits like a Mack truck. He clears the crease. He blocks shots. He's no Duncan Keith but he's also no John Erskine if you know what I mean. I would have guessed his Cap hit to be about what it was given his experience, Stanley Cup ring and reputation. I would've like to see the deal no longer than four years but GMBM said it was necessary to get the job done. Orpik could fade away like Poti or he could be like Nick Lindstrom. Only time will tell.

To me the real risk here is Niskanen. He has only one strong year under his belt. If he doesn't continue to improve this contract could be an albatross. However if he continues to prove improve they could've got a steal.

The bottom line is after many years of standing pat or producing minor deals they at least took a chance to move forward

Thanks, Ryan. I'm optimistic about Orpik and Niskanen.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
generally the most negative of posters in the McPhee era remain stridently negative now. you know the names.

and sure there is diverse opinion but there was diverse opinion during McPhee.

its not just me that has noted this attitude and pushed back against. look at the ryan519 post that starts with the opening line of "you all need to relax"

I don't care who else you say shares your opinion. You have not supported your argument with facts. And now you're moving the goalposts to "negativity" which was not what you said before. It is possible to be relatively negative in tone while still making reasonable arguments for or against something.

So, can you provide specific examples of posters making similarly unreasonable arguments against both GMGM and Gmbm out of habit? Or do you just have your own habits of lumping everyone together and classifying all posts you don't like as anti-management "negativity"?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I've been watching Orpik bodychecks on YouTube. He crushes guys with clean hits. Many of the hits I saw were within the last two years. Is there good reason to think he can't hit like that any more? If he still hits guys like that once each game I am PUMPED to have Orpik on the team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't care who else you say shares your opinion. You have not supported your argument with facts. And now you're moving the goalposts to "negativity" which was not what you said before. It is possible to be relatively negative in tone while still making reasonable arguments for or against something.

So, can you provide specific examples of posters making similarly unreasonable arguments against both GMGM and Gmbm out of habit? Or do you just have your own habits of lumping everyone together and classifying all posts you don't like as anti-management "negativity"?

sure. read erocaps for a start

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I've been watching Orpik bodychecks on YouTube. He crushes guys with clean hits. Many of the hits I saw were within the last two years. Is there good reason to think he can't hit like that any more? If he still hits guys like that once each game I am PUMPED to have Orpik on the team.

I am thrilled we have a defensemen that hits. Now we don't know if Carlson Alzner and Co are simply never going to hit for the rest of their careers, or did Oates tell them to never hit, but dare I think we need to have at least 2 defensemen that hit, if not more, before we can expect to ever win a cup. I feel like we need one on each pairing to keep forwards honest.

What I am hoping, they just lacked someone to learn to hit from, a true mentor they can follow their lead, and that it is Orpik. Lord knows Green as their mentor has not taught them anything but mega offence can pot you 6M. Green does not have what they need to learn. He can't even take hits and protect himself. All the kids paired with Green, are soon broken up. A true mentor makes them comfortable to hit, or add to their game.

I wonder if Trotz's teams ft defensemen that hit... I didn't see them often enough.

Last edited:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
If Orpik can still hit and Ovie gets back in the spirit of crushing people that'd be so sweet. Opposing forwards would be scared to death out there. Wilson takes runs at guys—not sure how often he catches em'. Like you say, if Orpik can teach it, that's great. Latta wants to hit but...same as Wils.

Things are looking up around here.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
sure. read erocaps for a start

I usually don't.

Let's just pretend you cited some conflicting examples from that particular poster. Every single thing he says is negative and often borderline flame bait regardless of the subject. Isn't it obvious? But you're telling me you take that one semi-troll seriously enough to get bent out of shape and construct your entire view of the rest of the board? I would hardly consider the bulk of your posts, which all carry the same theme, to be directed at this one person.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
The salary per yer for Oprik

$6,500,000 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 $4,500,000

If Oprik can help to change the culture of the team. And leave a lasting impression on the younger guys. He will have been under paid in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad