Confirmed with Link: D Andrew Peeke for Jakub Zboril and a 2027 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Oh shit!!!! He’s better than a guy that sucks??? No f***ing way!!! Sign me up right now then!!! What was I thinking by being realistic about how Peeke had played his way out of the lineup?? Man, thanks so much for helping me get this sorted out…

That's the thing, Wotherspoon doesn't suck. You just need incapable of scouting or predicting the outcomes of lower tier players (who still serve important functions in a cap era). We're playing moneyball and you're playing EA sports.

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's the thing, Wotherspoon doesn't suck. You just need incapable of scouting or predicting the outcomes of lower tier players (who still serve important functions in a cap era). We're playing moneyball and you're playing EA sports.
Bottom of the roster types are replaceable. They are literally plug and play. One is as useful as the next. There is no diamond in the rough. It's just bottom of the roster players that are somewhat serviceable. If your organization can't find a hundred players like this, that's when there's a problem. When you get so full of yourself and start to actually believe you're doing something as laughable as "playing moneyball" it makes it even funnier for me because you clearly don't get what moneyball was about.

Reactions: Tommy Tubs

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Curious Lonnie.

Is this what you think of me? Sweeney ballwasher who is bending myself into a pretzel to dig a questionable deal?

If yes, please be honest. I can take it. I've always respected your opinions even when I've disagreed with them.
You? No, but that's because you've always been willing to have a back and forth and an honest discussion. That's not what's happening here though. People are literally shouting down any dissenting views that aren't all rainbows and unicorns. They can't even admit that the Bruins bought this guy at an all time low but paid a price like he wasn't. If we can't even be honest about it, what's the f***ing point?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Bottom of the roster types are replaceable. They are literally plug and play. One is as useful as the next. There is no diamond in the rough. It's just bottom of the roster players that are somewhat serviceable. If your organization can't find a hundred players like this, that's when there's a problem. When you get so full of yourself and start to actually believe you're doing something as laughable as "playing moneyball" it makes it even funnier for me because you clearly don't get what moneyball was about.

Most of our players are outplaying their salaries right now. That's why Sweenius is one of the best at what he does. You think otherwise, so be it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sevendust and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Most of our players are outplaying their salaries right now. That's why Sweenius is one of the best at what he does. You think otherwise, so be it.
You do realize your bias is on full display when you call Sweeney that, no? The complete lack of objectivity by folks like you is what I'm having a problem with, not them taking a flier on a player like Peeke. It's pretty startling how you won't even tolerate the discussion. Sad, actually.

But go player by player and show me who. Not the obvious top of the roster types but bottom of the roster guys. And then compare and contrast those players to other teams players and you'll again see, that bottom of the roster types and fringe NHL players are a dime a dozen. Every organization has them and they're not special. Stroking your GM over filling out a roster when he f***ed up the cap to start with, yet again, is literally laughable.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You do realize your bias is on full display when you call Sweeney that, no? The complete lack of objectivity by folks like you is what I'm having a problem with, not them taking a flier on a player like Peeke. It's pretty startling how you won't even tolerate the discussion. Sad, actually.

But go player by player and show me who. Not the obvious top of the roster types but bottom of the roster guys. And then compare and contrast those players to other teams players and you'll again see, that bottom of the roster types and fringe NHL players are a dime a dozen. Every organization has them and they're not special. Stroking your GM over filling out a roster when he f***ed up the cap to start with, yet again, is literally laughable.
If you can’t see that Sweeney hit on all of these for peanuts then you're the one who’s holding a ton of bias:

Geekie
JVR
Heinen
Wotherspoon
Shattenkirk

And I don’t like the Peeke deal due to the contract and term. But your thesis above is incredibly wrong.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Most of the hockey world was all but crowning the Vegas Golden Knights as the world's greatest hockey franchise yesterday for their coup of acquiring Tomas Hertl.

If that was Boston, would Bruins fans be all worked up over Hertl's combined minus 62 over his last 127 games?

I'm gonna say no.

If Hertl's plus/minus on SJ isn't a concern, I don't see why it's a concern for Peeke on CBJ either.
I heard it was Ullmark for Hertl. Glad it didn’t happen.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If you can’t see that Sweeney hit on all of these for peanuts then you're the one who’s holding a ton of bias:

Geekie
JVR
Heinen
Wotherspoon
Shattenkirk

And I don’t like the Peeke deal due to the contract and term. But your thesis above is incredibly wrong.
They had Heinen before and dumped him. He's the same guy that was here. If he was so good, why did they dump to start with? JVR is an established and known commodity on the back 9. They signed him because he came cheap. Shattenkirk as well. And if you're being honest with your assessments you should acknowledge that most people wanted an upgrade over Shattenkirk at the trade deadline. Wotherspoon is a near 27 year old that has played less than 50 games in the NHL. He's a spot fill guy at most and really a career AHLer. Again, at least be honest. Geekie is ahead of his goal pace last year, but he's also playing an extra 5 minutes a night. If he wasn't, he'd be below his output last year, so he's pretty much what he always has been.

But again, you're not asking the right question, so I will for you. Why did they need so many fringe players and cast offs to play well for them? Why did they sign players like that instead of better options? Because Donnie Harvard f***ed up the cap again, which is does regularly and leaves the team in bad spots hoping and praying guys can slot up and or play over their heads for prolonged periods of time. The main issue with that is it eventually bottoms out and water finds it's level. That level is the playoffs. If they go out in round one, are you going to admit the reason they lost?

Reactions: Gordoff

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There really is no more good faith argument that Sweeney is a bad GM. Maybe he used to be, but now that’s a tough argument to make. He’s certainly gotten better over time. It used to be “his teams were only good because he was gifted Bergeron and Krejci” and now that that’s gone people have to contort themselves with some serious mental gymnastics to continue with their argument

I’m not even a huge fan, I wanted him fired for Mason Miller. It’s just an objective truth at this point that he’s at least pretty good at what he does. Maybe not the very best, but definitely good. The biggest knocks against him were a draft a decade ago where he didn’t have his own scouts yet (2015) and a few free agent signings from years ago

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You know it's been a good season for Sweeney when his biggest haters need to complain about draft picks of players who are currently 14 years old. Can't believe we're missing out on one of these teens in 4 years! :sarcasm:

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

Geekie
JVR
Heinen
Wotherspoon
Shattenkirk

This is pretty much it right here, and I'd add that Boqvist is trending towards a great get too for the bottom 6.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
They had Heinen before and dumped him. He's the same guy that was here. If he was so good, why did they dump to start with?

In his last season with Boston before he was traded he was making $2.8 million, but signed for $775K this year and is putting up relatively similar numbers to his top seasons in the NHL.

The argument could 100% be made that Sweeney overpaid Heinen for his level of production five years ago when he signed him for $2.8, but he has been a bargain this season for near the league minimum and was a good signing.

Just so long as Sweeney doesn't offer him $2 million for next season...:)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There really is no more good faith argument that Sweeney is a bad GM. Maybe he used to be, but now that’s a tough argument to make. He’s certainly gotten better over time. It used to be “his teams were only good because he was gifted Bergeron and Krejci” and now that that’s gone people have to contort themselves with some serious mental gymnastics to continue with their argument

I’m not even a huge fan, I wanted him fired for Mason Miller. It’s just an objective truth at this point that he’s at least pretty good at what he does. Maybe not the very best, but definitely good. The biggest knocks against him were a draft a decade ago where he didn’t have his own scouts yet (2015) and a few free agent signings from years ago
Who said he’s a bad GM? It certainly wasn’t me in any of my responses. But you are proving true the dynamic I’m talking about being at play here. You can’t even be honest and say he bought a guy at his lowest but didn’t pay bargain prices. That’s become me saying he sucks as a gm? Hilarious.

The lack of willingness by some folks here to even have an honest discussion devoid of hyperbole and nonsense is the problem. Not that Sweeney took a flier on a guy that has played poorly.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Who said he’s a bad GM? It certainly wasn’t me in any of my responses. But you are proving true the dynamic I’m talking about being at play here. You can’t even be honest and say he bought a guy at his lowest but didn’t pay bargain prices. That’s become me saying he sucks as a gm? Hilarious.

The lack of willingness by some folks here to even have an honest discussion devoid of hyperbole and nonsense is the problem. Not that Sweeney took a flier on a guy that has played poorly.
A late 3rd round pick in 4 years is paying a premium? I’m not really fretting about the price he paid, society isn’t a given to even be around by then lmao

If you asked jackets fans what they thought his value was this time last year they say “1st round pick”. There are threads of them saying that.

Again, would you prefer they buy players they like at the peak of their value? I know I wouldn’t! I really don’t understand what you’re trying to argue on that front

I’ve straight up said he hasn’t played well in Columbus this year and I think almost everybody has acknowledged that. He’s a young, physical guy that’s played well in the past that many of us think will do better in this structure. If you want to make it more than that then be my guest

Let’s say he sucks next year- we can buy him out and the cap hit will prevent us from signing Patrick Brown 2.0. The horror. This is definitely a worthwhile project to take on, if it succeeds he gives them a valuable type of player they didn’t have before

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In his last season with Boston before he was traded he was making $2.8 million, but signed for $775K this year and is putting up relatively similar numbers to his top seasons in the NHL.

The argument could 100% be made that Sweeney overpaid Heinen for his level of production five years ago when he signed him for $2.8, but he has been a bargain this season for near the league minimum and was a good signing.

Just so long as Sweeney doesn't offer him $2 million for next season...:)
See, now there’s an actual relevant fact in this discussion. Some others would be wise to pay attention to what you did and try to incorporate this into their responses. This place would be a lot more interesting if they did. Good job!

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
A late 3rd round pick in 4 years is paying a premium? I’m not really fretting about the price he paid, society isn’t a given to even be around by then lmao

If you asked jackets fans what they thought his value was this time last year they say “1st round pick”. There are threads of them saying that.

Again, would you prefer they buy players they like at the peak of their value? I know I wouldn’t! I really don’t understand what you’re trying to argue on that front

I’ve straight up said he hasn’t played well in Columbus this year and I think almost everybody has acknowledged that. He’s a young, physical guy that’s played well in the past that many of us think will do better in this structure. If you want to make it more than that then be my guest

Let’s say he sucks next year- we can buy him out and the cap hit will prevent us from signing Patrick Brown 2.0. The horror. This is definitely a worthwhile project to take on, if it succeeds he gives them a valuable type of player they didn’t have before
Any asset you give up for a guy who has played himself out of the rotation and is likely going to be a buyout in the off-season is too much. Given Sweeenys cavalier attitude towards picks, it’s problematic how readily he gives them away. I get it though given his track record of drafting. It’s not great. Maybe they can take some of their college scouts and move them to cover the juniors since they have far more success in undrafted college dudes than from junior hockey.,.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Any asset you give up for a guy who has played himself out of the rotation and is likely going to be a buyout in the off-season is too much. Given Sweeenys cavalier attitude towards picks, it’s problematic how readily he gives them away. I get it though given his track record of drafting. It’s not great. Maybe they can take some of their college scouts and move them to cover the juniors since they have far more success in undrafted college dudes than from junior hockey.,.
Pretty sure they’ve done studies that show the bruins are among the better drafters in the league given where they are usually picking. They gaffed in 2015 when chiarelli’s no-show brother was still on the staff in charge of Canadian junior (I believe OHL specifically iirc) and Sweeney didn’t have his own scouts in yet. They just found Poitras late 2nd. Jackson Edward looks good and was a 7th. They’re doing fine lately up there. They don’t pick a ton of guys from Canadian juniors but they’ve fared pretty well when they do

Reactions: LSCII

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Apparently, this is their reasoning:

The performances of the six first-year Bruins prove the organization gets it right more often than wrong when it comes to talent evaluation. With that in mind, Sweeney and his colleagues clearly see flashes of diamond under Andrew Peeke’s 2023-24 carbon.

“There’ll be an adjustment coming into the new structure, the systems we play,” Sweeney said. “But we’re excited about being able to work with him. He’s a bigger body on the right side that’s hard to find. And it’s not a rental. We have that player moving forward.”

Reactions: Blowfish

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

Good post. When we bought Zacha, Devils fans were like "enjoy!". Well we sure have.

If you pick any given month, we probably say "enjoy!" on Debrusk. Other times we're like "no we need him". But you don't get to go back and forth as GM. You make your best call, and ours has generally made them right.

Sweeney is playing the most likely scenario to him. And the most likely to him is that in our room, with our system, our coaches, and our goalies, our spot in the standings, this guy is going to develop more here and find his best game. Other players have left us to develop elsewhere. No reason to expect we can't do the same.

So far Sweeney has proven he spotted Coyle, Zacha, Geekie etc and knew their best would happen here. He was right. What I'm gonna question HIS abilities? Na. I respect it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If it was a winning organization giving there opinion I would listen

You should take any fan opinions with a grain of salt, including most everything posted here in HFBruins (and I include myself in that). Just because some on the Columbus board were saying they needed to pay someone to take Peeke has no bearing on reality in an NHL Front Office.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
IMG_0852.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad