Confirmed with Link: D Andrew Peeke for Jakub Zboril and a 2027 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Back with another comparison. Does he play like a young Kevin Miller minus a bit of violence? I mean speedy, hits, can make the pass but struggles with decision making. Has already shown the ability to play top 4 which Kevan didn't do until very late and others would say never.

That's my comparison too. Similar in size and playstyle. Miller was the superior fighter. I think that's worth a 3rd rounder several years down the road.

Reactions: HustleB

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Back with another comparison. Does he play like a young Kevin Miller minus a bit of violence? I mean speedy, hits, can make the pass but struggles with decision making. Has already shown the ability to play top 4 which Kevan didn't do until very late and others would say never.
He’s definitely not the fighter Killer was I’ll tell you that much lol- much closer to Wotherspoon on that front

Outside of that the games are pretty similar imo

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I just hope they scouted him fully. I don't really trust this deal at first blush, but at 25 years old and with the right partner/system he may turn out OK. Still, it seems too steep for a guy that doesn't even have a path to the top 4 on the right side here.

We'll know in a month or so. I will be pissed if there is another cap issue over the desire to stack up bodies on the backend.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I have never seen Peeke play, therefore, I have zero idea if he's good, has potential etc.

Stats can only tell you so much; and even so, he's been playing on a bad team. On the other side of that argument, he's been scratched a lot, and his TOI has dipped. Also, Columbus almost bought out his contract earlier this season. That's not good.

Boston does have a way better defensive system, and playing style than Columbus, so we'll see how he fits. I don't mind giving up Zboril, but an additional 3rd round for a player with term (2 more years at 2.75 million) is a head scratcher. He's young, though.

Was another deal in place that fell through? Perhaps. Sweeney did say Forbort is out for the year, so in terms of cap for the year the move makes sense.

The offseason will be very interesting.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lindholm -- McAvoy

Lohrei -- Carlo

Wotherspoon -- Peeke

Grz and Shattenkirk as the subs, although I like how both have played in recent memory.

Next year, Grz and Shattenkirk will be gone. Lohrei will be a bit more polished. Regula will probably step up and compete for the 3d spot or make it as a 7th coming off the bench.

All total, the Bruins will be spending a little over 4 mill on 3 bottom pairing dmen, which I don't think is out of line with what other teams are spending on their 5-6-7 guys.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Lindholm -- McAvoy

Lohrei -- Carlo

Wotherspoon -- Peeke

Grz and Shattenkirk as the subs, although I like how both have played in recent memory.

Next year, Grz and Shattenkirk will be gone. Regula will probably step up and compete for the 3d spot or make it as a 7th coming off the bench.

All total, the Bruins will be spending a little over 4 mill on 3 bottom pairing dmen, which I don't think is out of line with what other teams are spending on their 5-6-7 guys.
Lohrei, Wotherspoon, and Peeke all playing over Grzelcyk?

I’m not upset over it, but i can’t see Monty going for it. I think Wotherspoon has certainly earned a spot. The rest remains to be seen

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Lindholm -- McAvoy

Lohrei -- Carlo

Wotherspoon -- Peeke

For now I'd go with:

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke
x-Shattenkirk

Lohrei needs to work on skating without the puck, and better decision making when he has the puck. He's got a great upside, and the potential is definitely there. However, unless he steps up and improves down the stretch, I don't see him in the starting lineup come playoff time. I hope I'm wrong.

I can definitely see your D pairings work, though.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There was a small window in I believe the 21-22 season where Little Z looked like he was going to put it all together and reach at least regular 3rd pair status, but he got hurt again and that fell apart.

I think he really wanted to make it here and the Bruins really tried with him for a while - he'd actually reached UFA status due to the number of games played over his ELC not reaching the minimum, but he chose to re-up here instead of exploring other organizations, but wound up buried in Providence partially due to cap reasons and partially due to him just plateauing.

I wish him well in Columbus, hope he gets a chance to play in the NHL

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lohrei, Wotherspoon, and Peeke all playing over Grzelcyk?

I’m not upset over it, but i can’t see Monty going for it. I think Wotherspoon has certainly earned a spot. The rest remains to be seen

I was thinking more into the playoffs, where Monty has healthy scratched Grz before. But you guys might be right, Lohrei still has the rookie moments and coach might want more veteran play.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There was a small window in I believe the 21-22 season where Little Z looked like he was going to put it all together and reach at least regular 3rd pair status, but he got hurt again and that fell apart.

I think he really wanted to make it here and the Bruins really tried with him for a while - he'd actually reached UFA status due to the number of games played over his ELC not reaching the minimum, but he chose to re-up here instead of exploring other organizations, but wound up buried in Providence partially due to cap reasons and partially due to him just plateauing.

I wish him well in Columbus, hope he gets a chance to play in the NHL

He also had a bad knee injury in there somewhere- was it last season? I think that contributed to him cratering.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He also had a bad knee injury in there somewhere- was it last season? I think that contributed to him cratering.
The season before last. He was actually a mainstay on that roster the first half of that year then completely shredded his ACL. Started the 22-23 year up with the big club after rehabbing but quickly played his way off the roster and wound up relegated to the AHL ever since.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
More alike than you want to admit. Both overpaid bottom pairing guys. Both have been benched for poor play. Both not worth their salary.

But again, why is it so f***ing hard for some of you to say you hope the change of scenery fixes his game but that the deal was questionable? Why is honesty so hard for so many?
Curious Lonnie.

Is this what you think of me? Sweeney ballwasher who is bending myself into a pretzel to dig a questionable deal?

If yes, please be honest. I can take it. I've always respected your opinions even when I've disagreed with them.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The season before last. He was actually a mainstay on that roster the first half of that year then completely shredded his ACL. Started the 22-23 year up with the big club after rehabbing but quickly played his way off the roster and wound up relegated to the AHL ever since.

Yes, thanks. I remember it happening but couldn't recall just when. I would not be surprised if that was a major contributor to his failure to stick.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
That's my comparison too. Similar in size and playstyle. Miller was the superior fighter. I think that's worth a 3rd rounder several years down the road.
The third rounder a few years down the road is a small part of the deal. The big part of the deal is the Bruins assuming the full $2.75M in cap space for this partial year and 2 more full years. That is why national media scored this a major win for CBJ. The player may be no more than a 7th Dman. Cap space taken vs value provided is the most important metric in the nhl today.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Eh, I don’t think being critical is losing my mind over it. Especially since sweeeny has done a poor job of managing their assets, particularly their picks. But hey, you do you and I’ll do me.
No, but complaining that other people won't admit it's a bad deal is a bit more than being critical, we all do have differing opinions on here lol.

I dont think anyone is saying this is some big steal, just that we'd like to wait and see if he can be a better fit here than CBJ.

We don't always have to immediately jump to conclusions on things, a good majority of people here likely haven't seen much of Peeke play and are going off stats anyway, I'd like my opinion to be more informed than that

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have never seen Peeke play, therefore, I have zero idea if he's good, has potential etc.

Stats can only tell you so much; and even so, he's been playing on a bad team. On the other side of that argument, he's been scratched a lot, and his TOI has dipped. Also, Columbus almost bought out his contract earlier this season. That's not good.

Boston does have a way better defensive system, and playing style than Columbus, so we'll see how he fits. I don't mind giving up Zboril, but an additional 3rd round for a player with term (2 more years at 2.75 million) is a head scratcher. He's young, though.

Was another deal in place that fell through? Perhaps. Sweeney did say Forbort is out for the year, so in terms of cap for the year the move makes sense.

The offseason will be very interesting.

I've seen Peeke play, but never paid attention to peeke as a player, so basically the same thing.

Their pro scouting has been very good . I tend to give them a wide berth on moves like this. I think they made the deal because they like the player. They believe he can be a difference maker on that third pairing. they might be wrong, but if they are right then this will be an A+++ deal.

And Columbus is one of the worst organizations in sport. So won't be the least bit surprised if they completely botched their handling of Peeke

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He’s definitely not the fighter Killer was I’ll tell you that much lol- much closer to Wotherspoon on that front

Outside of that the games are pretty similar imo

If this is the case I'll probably like the guy. I loved Killer & miss him out there

As for what it cost to get him- well if you want to get you have to give. Doesn't matter if the market is nuts, the market is what it is. If a commodity is rare you're going to have to pay more in order to get it. It is that simple.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The third rounder a few years down the road is a small part of the deal. The big part of the deal is the Bruins assuming the full $2.75M in cap space for this partial year and 2 more full years. That is why national media scored this a major win for CBJ. The player may be no more than a 7th Dman. Cap space taken vs value provided is the most important metric in the nhl today.

If he continues the season he's having, yeah... it's an overpayment.

If he reverts back to form, it's a good value contract. RHD with size are a sought after commodity. It all hinges on the Bruins staff and Peeke himself being able to clean up his game.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
More alike than you want to admit. Both overpaid bottom pairing guys. Both have been benched for poor play. Both not worth their salary.

But again, why is it so f***ing hard for some of you to say you hope the change of scenery fixes his game but that the deal was questionable? Why is honesty so hard for so many?
I just don’t understand getting all worked up about people liking a trade.

Reactions: Blowfish and PB37

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No, but complaining that other people won't admit it's a bad deal is a bit more than being critical, we all do have differing opinions on here lol.

I dont think anyone is saying this is some big steal, just that we'd like to wait and see if he can be a better fit here than CBJ.

We don't always have to immediately jump to conclusions on things, a good majority of people here likely haven't seen much of Peeke play and are going off stats anyway, I'd like my opinion to be more informed than that
Did they trade for him at a high or a low point in terms of his value? Simple question with an obvious answer.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think a lot of people could eat crow on this one...I think he's going to be a solid player for us.

If one of our scouts had their hands in trading for Lindholm, drafting Lohrei and signing Wotherspoon...I will take their word on Peeke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad