Confirmed with Link: D Andrew Peeke for Jakub Zboril and a 2027 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Who was Sean Walker before this year? A 28-year old getting healthy scratched out in LA.

No one here had ever heard of Jake Middleton until he came out of nowhere to win a job in San Jose at age 25-26.

Nick Seeler will be 31 this summer and is in his 2nd year of full-time NHL duty.

Fans were pounding the table for these guys are the deadline. Guys who were floundering mid-careers, but ended up in the right place, at the right time, with the right coaches, and the right system, and became established NHL valued contributors.

Why can't that happen to Peeke? He's got about as much NHL experience as these guys and he's younger. Cap hit seems to be about on-par as well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Peeke might be a flop, who knows? If so we are out a third round pick. Whoopdee shit. He might also be a steal, who knows? But you can't win if you don't play. As it is right now, Peeke has surpassed the vast majority of third rounders in games played (most will never play an NHL game). Bruins have a lot of salary potentially off the books next season including 2 d men that make more. His contract won't be the reason they can't sign a 1C if they go that route.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
With Wotherspoon and Lohrei signed on the cheap, his contract isn’t a big deal at all. And with Mac and Carlo ahead of him on the depth chart, expectations don’t seem high. I’m hoping he can turn into a good physical bottom pairing option that can slot up, just like McQuaid. And he’s good depth for this year if a guy goes down we don’t need to bring up a minor league guy.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Peeke might be He a flop, who knows? If so we are out a third round pick. Whoopdee shit. He might also be a steal, who knows? But you can't win if you don't play. As it is right now, Peeke has surpassed the vast majority of third rounders in games played (most will never play an NHL game). Bruins have a lot of salary potentially off the books next season including 2 d men that make more. His contract won't be the reason they can't sign a 1C if they go that route.
We’re a team that no matter the cap have been up against for the past how many years? So it’s fair to question giving out another Mike Reilly/Derek Forbort/John Moore contract for a bottom pair guy. Those contracts all ended up hurting our flexibility. And it’s for 2 more years. The third round pick isn’t getting banged in except for the fact that it seemed like an overpay given the player.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
We’re a team that no matter the cap have been up against for the past how many years? So it’s fair to question giving out another Mike Reilly/Derek Forbort/John Moore contract for a bottom pair guy. Those contracts all ended up hurting our flexibility. And it’s for 2 more years. The third round pick isn’t getting banged in except for the fact that it seemed like an overpay given the player.

It's fair to question, yes. It's also fair to think it's okay. To me the Peeke contract is different from the Reilly, Forbort, Moore deals in that all three of them were established NHLers who were what they were at the time of signing. Reilly maybe had some upside. Peeke is young for an NHL defenseman, is a right shot/right side player, and plays a much more physical game than any of them, with upside to his game. That makes him different. But who knows if it is worth it at this point? It might be, and it might not be, but to call it out as bad before he's ever played a game seems premature.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Starting next the CAP shouldn't be an issue unless they spend poorly on Free Agents. considering the expiring contract for Forbort is more than Peeke's and he is significantly younger, it's not that big of a a swing. Based on his 1st year, the talent is there. the trainwreck known as Columbus did not do this kid any favors. Columbus got rid of a good amount of talent through trades and losing people to free agency. Not exactly a stable environment. So Peeke isn't at the level to make others better, that doesn't mean he doesn't improve, playing with better players.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's fair to question, yes. It's also fair to think it's okay. To me the Peeke contract is different from the Reilly, Forbort, Moore deals in that all three of them were established NHLers who were what they were at the time of signing. Reilly maybe had some upside. Peeke is young for an NHL defenseman, is a right shot/right side player, and plays a much more physical game than any of them, with upside to his game. That makes him different. But who knows if it is worth it at this point? It might be, and it might not be, but to call it out as bad before he's ever played a game seems premature.
I get it. But under that logic you couldn’t ever criticize a trade before the player has played. That seems like a tough bar.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I get it. But under that logic you couldn’t ever criticize a trade before the player has played. That seems like a tough bar.

I am just fighting my corner here as to why I like the trade, and like we all do. I have no real issue with anyone not liking this deal- that's what we are here for (or at least I enjoy many of the different points of view offered). I guess it could be a tough bar, but I think pointing out that a trade doesn't seem to be a great one is a lot different than just flat out saying it sucks and Sweeney got fleeced, Columbus should have retained, or paid us to take him etc. I am certainly not arguing that this was a homerun by any stretch and it could very easily turn out to be a mistake, but I see the half-full glass on this one and would like to see it how it all goes before making any dogmatic pronouncements one way or the other.

EDIT; probably should add that in case, it seems to me to be wise to wait to see the player play. What Peeke is supposed to do for us is a real organizational need in terms of style, position, and depth. If Sweeney had grabbed another speedy 4th line center, yeah, it's a lot easier to call it out regardless of how well the player plays.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Who was Sean Walker before this year? A 28-year old getting healthy scratched out in LA.

No one here had ever heard of Jake Middleton until he came out of nowhere to win a job in San Jose at age 25-26.

Nick Seeler will be 31 this summer and is in his 2nd year of full-time NHL duty.

Fans were pounding the table for these guys are the deadline. Guys who were floundering mid-careers, but ended up in the right place, at the right time, with the right coaches, and the right system, and became established NHL valued contributors.

Why can't that happen to Peeke? He's got about as much NHL experience as these guys and he's younger. Cap hit seems to be about on-par as well.
Great Post !

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

Dennis Seidenberg comes to mind as well as a late bloomer.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

A bit exaggerated on Walker - he played 70 games last year and played 47/56 in the Covid year and 70 the year before that. He blew his knee out in 21-22. He has obviously trended upwards though.

Seeler was making minimum and just signed an extension just below Peeke’s money, which kind of proves the point in a different way.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
We can all have opinions regarding Peeke and this trade , but I am going to ask ... can we at least give it until the end of the season before digging our feet in and taking a stand? Some of us might actually end up being surprised.
While others might end up feeling justified in their evaluation. Either way, let him play some games and settle in here before we condemn or praise the trade. Just my opinion.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Looks like Regula will be a Regular for Providence next season.
He could replace the "Shatty" role, essentially the 4th RHD on the depth chart. I think next year we will see him get 30-40 games by filling in.

No way are they going to role out two rookies with Lohrei and Regula with the amount of cap space they have in the summer. He'll get his chance

Reactions: Gordoff and Ratty

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He could replace the "Shatty" role, essentially the 4th RHD on the depth chart. I think next year we will see him get 30-40 games by filling in.

No way are they going to role out two rookies with Lohrei and Regula with the amount of cap space they have in the summer. He'll get his chance
When was the last time they did that- Carlo McAvoy in Mac’s first playoffs?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
We can all have opinions regarding Peeke and this trade , but I am going to ask ... can we at least give it until the end of the season before digging our feet in and taking a stand? Some of us might actually end up being surprised.
While others might end up feeling justified in their evaluation. Either way, let him play some games and settle in here before we condemn or praise the trade. Just my opinion.
People feel they can predict the future. Especially with a trade like this was a practical one but still a coin flip

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Peeke might be a flop, who knows? If so we are out a third round pick. Whoopdee shit. He might also be a steal, who knows? But you can't win if you don't play. As it is right now, Peeke has surpassed the vast majority of third rounders in games played (most will never play an NHL game). Bruins have a lot of salary potentially off the books next season including 2 d men that make more. His contract won't be the reason they can't sign a 1C if they go that route.

All I can say is, "Lighten up, Francis."

Give the guy a chance.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
When was the last time they did that- Carlo McAvoy in Mac’s first playoffs?
Not really sure what you mean here? I’m still seeing him start the year in Prov with Wotherspoon more than likely being the extra but Regula would essentially be first call-up #8 depth chart guy

Meaning you’re going to get minutes next year so be ready and make them count when they come

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wow, look at the actual discussion folks are having both pro and con for the move now? See, isn't that a shitload better than generic strawman arguments like "he was on a bad team"? There are examples of other change of scenery players that benefitted greatly from moving on from a bad situation and examples of why the money and term isn't both that big of a deal nor is it something that is inconsequential. Either way, the last what, 2 or 3 pages of this thread have been far better than the first 12, and why? Because we're actually engaging in a back and forth on both the good and bad of the move. I can't and never speak for anyone other than myself but this is why this place is great to read. When people stop with the generic bullshit and actually dig in and break something down in an honest manner.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Not really sure what you mean here? I’m still seeing him start the year in Prov with Wotherspoon more than likely being the extra but Regula would essentially be first call-up #8 depth chart guy

Meaning you’re going to get minutes next year so be ready and make them count when they come
Having two rookie d men in the lineup, just a tangent.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Wow, look at the actual discussion folks are having both pro and con for the move now? See, isn't that a shitload better than generic strawman arguments like "he was on a bad team"? There are examples of other change of scenery players that benefitted greatly from moving on from a bad situation and examples of why the money and term isn't both that big of a deal nor is it something that is inconsequential. Either way, the last what, 2 or 3 pages of this thread have been far better than the first 12, and why? Because we're actually engaging in a back and forth on both the good and bad of the move. I can't and never speak for anyone other than myself but this is why this place is great to read. When people stop with the generic bullshit and actually dig in and break something down in an honest manner.
Ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad