Czech Republic: Czechs in North America (NHL, AHL, Junior)

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I have dreams of those 5 guys (Hajek, Necas, Zadina, Kaut and Chytil) all being good to great NHLers for the next decade. We need all 5 to pan out. Not looking so great so far. I'm starting to think one my other favourite prospects isn't going to make the NHL at all - Michal Spacek.

I believe Spacek will make it. He had a good camp, one of my favourite players I have to say. Our presence in AHL is alarming. Only three Ds and oviously fewest players in maybe 20 years?

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I believe Spacek will make it. He had a good camp, one of my favourite players I have to say. Our presence in AHL is alarming. Only three Ds and oviously fewest players in maybe 20 years?
Had to look

Elite Prospects - AHL Stats 2019-2020

14 is low... I do think I see a few future nhlers though. Not too many guys lighting it up though.

Our D is alarming. I can't think of many that are doing great in Europe either.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hertl is almost at a .ppg pace now. Slow start but seems to be heating up now. Vrana got 2 points last night but got around 10 minutes ice time which isn't ideal.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sunday morning Nerd look from me:

upload_2019-10-27_12-24-45.png

Some good... Necas has seemed to establish himself in the first 10 games. His speed and passing are great. We need him to become a very good centre and he's playing wing.

Mrazek is doing very well as he had his second shutout in his last 5 games last night. The other 3 games were below .900. So consistency seems to be an issue.

Hertl had a slow start but is almost at a .ppg pace where he belongs.. healthy and 82 points would be great.
Speaking of great Centres, Krejci is hurt... again.
Simon is on a career pace and getting about 3 more minutes per game compared to last year1
Kempny is currently a .ppg player!!! Amazing return from him.
Hronek is getting over 22 minutes a game.
Kase is hurt... again.
Faksa is playing great ... but not scoring enough... again.
Frolik needs a trade IMO
Sobotka is very underrated and doing a good job on a very good team.
Vrana is on career pace but not getting many minutes... I think he drives coaches crazy.
Voracek is getting near where he should be. He should also be an 80 point guy.
Rittich is playing in front of an awful D in calgary (last year it was one of the best D's in the NHL)... every game I've watched he's been the best player on the Flame's and loses. Eg. Last night he faced 45 shots from a poor Jet's team. So his stats don't look so great but he's been sensational IMO
Francouz lost his 3rd game. Stats are good. I think he'll get 20 games.

Korenar got a shutout in AHL... I don't think he's far from the NHL.
Pytlik and Mysak are both consistently being ranked as first rounders now. Pytlik is getting the higher ranking (early 20's)... so can someone explain to me why he wasn't at the U18s????? Goddam Hadamczak!
Pavel Novak also looks to be cementing himself as a top 100 draft pick.
None of them are D unfortunately but Svozil seems to be making a name for himself.
Zadina is struggling.
Masin and Zboril are close to 6/7 spots and 'first callups'.
Rutta has eaten a lot of nacho's ... good job if you can get it! Over a million dollars a year to sit and cheer in Florida. I like his game and that he represents... I'd be much happier if he were playing more routinely and not indirectly blocking Masin.
Chytil has 9 points in 8 AHL games... him in the AHL drives me crazy.
Zacha is also on pace to beat his career best of 25 points (which he has gotten 3 years in a row give or take)... I think they need to trade him. He'll burn his bridges again but a fresh start would help. Really need him to develop into a Top 6 C as Krejci won't be around forever.

Quite honestly.. our AHL player's aren't doing enough:

upload_2019-10-27_12-37-57.png

One thing I've been wondering about... Hajek is getting regular minutes and doing fine for such a young player. Zboril and Masin are next in line (and, honestly, may never make it)... who is next after that for D? Galvas in Finland? It's so bleak on D.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chytil is back! Not sure how long he'll last but his AHL stint was very good with 9 points in 8 games. I'd like to think he's better than Ryan Strome as a Centre.

Simek is back! Well, sort of... AHL for, I assume, some conditioning before hitting the big club (who could use him).

Hoping both guys can stick

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chytil scored in his first game back and looked amazing. Hoping he breaks out this season.
I honestly thought he was guaranteed 82 games and would get 50 points.

I remember several years ago they sent Hertl to the AHL during the all star break... Hertl is now an elite player IMO. Hope Chytil learns the same lesson. Ironic that zadina and kaut got sent down and are near zero points in the AHL.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I honestly thought he was guaranteed 82 games and would get 50 points.

I remember several years ago they sent Hertl to the AHL during the all star break... Hertl is now an elite player IMO. Hope Chytil learns the same lesson. Ironic that zadina and kaut got sent down and are near zero points in the AHL.

He didn't show much in preseason. Quinn wasn't going to just hand him a spot. But he took his demotion well. Was a PPG player in Hartford and will likely stay up.

I really hope he follows Hertl's trajectory. He looks really fast and strong. One of my favorite Rangers.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He didn't show much in preseason. Quinn wasn't going to just hand him a spot. But he took his demotion well. Was a PPG player in Hartford and will likely stay up.

I really hope he follows Hertl's trajectory. He looks really fast and strong. One of my favorite Rangers.
I agree. I'm not saying he should've made the team. I was just surprised as his trajectory looked like a sure thing to be starting in the NHL and doing well for himself. I keep hearing good things about Hajek and his minutes look good. Hoping I see something on a scoreboard soon.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sunday morning check in...

We're up to 25 players and 3 goalies now.

Rittich and Mrazek are both coming off wins and are still currently cemented as starters which is great. First time we've had 2 NHL starters in awhile. Francouz got his 4th start last night but lost 3-0 to Phoeniz. Hard to win when your team doesn't score (also, how does Colorado not score their team is stacked).

The new additions are Chytil and Rutta. Chytil is becoming a big fan favourite and has 2 goals in his first 2 games. Rutta has 1 point in 2 games but I'm not sure it's going the best. Another surprise is that Chlapik is back and playing in the NHL. He doesn't get many shifts but good for him for continuing to battle for an NHL job. Lukas Radil has yet to get a point.

Michal Kempny has come out like a house on fire.. he's over a .ppg and has been hovering in that 20 minute a night category. Hronek is at 23 minutes a night and close to .5ppg which are Top 2 Dmen numbers. We have 2 legit Top 4 guys now in the NHL which also hasn't happened in some time. Hajek is getting a lot of minutes as well in his last 5 games but rarely a point. Curious how his season goes.

Pastrnak is tearing apart the NHL.. he's first in goals and points and everything looks easy for him right now.

So we have 2 starters, an Art Ross, Rocket Richard, 2 legit Top 4 D all going for us... the numbers are down but the quality at the top of the lineup is pretty solid. Vrana is warming up but not getting very many minutes (maybe Riha was right?).

Simon is well on pace for 50 points which would be an exceptional story for the guy. Necas is having a very good rookie season on a very good team.

No one mentions Sobotka but he's doing very well on a very good Buffalo team. Doing all the dirty work.

Our top 2 C's are struggling a bit. Hertl is at 12 points in 15 games and his team is struggling. Krejci was injured again.

AHL wise it's a bit bleak. Zadina is warming up and getting points (Detroit is awful, he's got a great opportunity to get himself to the NHL this season). Kaut has 0 points. Spacek only has 3. Frk is tearing it up and doing very well... really hopes he gets to LA (who are also awful). Zboril is up to 5 points. Maybe he gets traded and into the NHL this season. Josef Korenar had back to back shutouts and goaltending in San Jose has been very weak - who knows, maybe he gets a game or 2 this season?

CHL- Novak has 19 points in 15 games.. that is very good for a rookie 17 year old. Pytlik with 20 points in 17 games is also very good. He might end up in round 1 which would be great! Jan Jenik is almost at 2 .ppg!!!! Pekar has 22 in 16 games. I have nothing against the player but Marcel Barinka has 4 points... asshat Hadamczak chose Barinka and put him on first line at U18's... he didn't bring Pytlik. This is why I get mad at Czech hockey - the management.

Filip Kral is over a .ppg as a 20 year old in WHL. Michal Gut has 7 points in 12 games as a 17 year old. Teply is a bit disapointing at 13 pts in 15 games.

On a good note.. all these players in Junior are playing a lot and not sitting on a bench in the Extraliga handing water bottles to the vets! Nothing drives me crazier than when teenage prospects don't play a lot of minutes.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Guess I should've waited till Sunday night.lol

Vrana with a hat trick.. he has 5 goals in his last 2 games.. also, 14 points in 16 games. He has 9 goals now which is 7th best in the NHL.. Pastrnak is first with 13.

Really is impressive that such a small representation is doing so well in the NHL.

Also, he lit up Rittich's backup Cam Talbot which is good for securing David's starter job :)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Guess I should've waited till Sunday night.lol

Vrana with a hat trick.. he has 5 goals in his last 2 games.. also, 14 points in 16 games. He has 9 goals now which is 7th best in the NHL.. Pastrnak is first with 13. Ovechkin has 11.

Really is impressive that such a small representation is doing so well in the NHL.

Also, he lit up Rittich's backup Cam Talbot which is good for securing David's starter job :)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sunday morning check in!

upload_2019-11-10_11-3-21.png

We'd have to go back to Jagr to remember the last time a Czech was consistently leading in points AND goals. So Pastrnak is, um, doing 'okay' for himself.

Grubauer got hurt so Francouz is getting more starts and doing very well with it! All 3 goalies are doing well. Rittiic is our best goalie today IMO.

upload_2019-11-10_11-5-18.png

We're up to 26 skaters and 3 goalies so almost 30. It isn't the 80 it once was but 30 is comparable to Russia and Finland and close to a combo of Slovakia/Germany/Swiss altogether!

Amazingly, for such a small number we have a lot of real good things happening.

This week I'll point points per minute as we have 2 guys who are doing remarkably well for absolutely minimal minutes.

Jakub Vrana has 9 goals and 16 points in 18 games. This is amazing given he plays 13 minutes a night! He is the third leading Czech in scoring. Hertl is now at a .ppg pace again.

The other? Well, Filip Chlapik is back in the NHL... He gets 7 minutes a night (which is almost unheard of) and has 3 points in 6 games. He might be the most efficienct 4th line player in the NHL. I don't know why he doesn't get more minutes or why he goes back to the AHL. I assume he drives coaches crazy for some reason that I don't know. However, .5 ppg is top 6 scoring pace and he seems to always get points. My hat's off to him as he continues to battle to be a full time NHLer!

Our D is the other awesome thing going on... Simek is back and getting roughly 19 minutes a night! Kempny has 10 points in 10 games which puts his .ppg at tops in the NHL for Dmen. Hronek is well over 20 a night and has established himself as a full time Top 4 NHLer. That is 3 D that are playing legit Top 4 minutes. Hajek is also getting 17 minutes a night. I know the Big 5 have much more depth but it's been awhile since we had 3 D playing Top 4 minutes. It's very encouraging as none are past their prime and all are improving. A year from now I assume Hajek is a Top 4 guy as well. So we'd have a legit Top 4 NHL D with Radko Gudas in the mix as well. Rutta is starting to get some games as well. Polak hasn't returned from injury. The fact he's stil lin the NHL is pretty amazing.. talk about perseverance. He's also retired from National Team.

Zadina is starting to have articles written about being traded... not good. I hope he turns it around. Not too much to celebrate in the AHL. I still maintain that when Frk returns to Europe he'll be a national team fixture and everyone will love him!

upload_2019-11-10_11-18-3.png

This weekend was particularly amazing.. we started the U17 with an 8-1 loss to Sweden in Exhibition and 10-1 loss in the first game to the States.. amazingly, this resulted in a bronze medal after beating Sweden and Canada (both teams that beat us handily a week earlier!). We also won the Karlaja cup. I'd like to see sustr and Jerabek get consideration for World's personally. In weird news... one of my favourite D, Libor Sulak, has fallen off a cliff. He went from starting in the NHL a year ago to doing poorly in Europe 12 months later. I was hoping he'd be an NHL regular in the bottom 6 by now.

Pytlik and Mysak continue to be projected as first rounders which is very encouraging as I thought that was a weak group and it's not looking weak at all.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh yeah.. of our 29 NHL playes. About 26 of them should be back in the NHL next season.. I only see Polak (age), Rutta (who I like but might not be an NHLer) and Radil (who I also like but might not be an NHLer) as potentially dropping out of the NHL next season. All 3 goalies should have a job next season. We should have at least 3 new guys to replace the ones going out: Zadina, Kaut, Spacek, Kase, Masin, Zboril, Lauko (pick 3). Dostal, Skarek, Korenar, Vanecek and Vladar might be getting a few games as well (pick 1). So we might have more next year instead of less.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good news... Michal spacek got the call and is in Winnipeg. He might make his NHL debut soon

Bad news... Last time he got called up, he didn't end up playing a game.

More bad news... Sobotka out for awhile. I'm guessing francouz will be too. His injury is pretty tragic as he had an amazing opportunity to steal a lot of minutes and establish himself. Instead, some asshat ran him over in the first 30s if the game.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Good news... Michal spacek got the call and is in Winnipeg. He might make his NHL debut soon

Bad news... Last time he got called up, he didn't end up playing a game.

More bad news... Sobotka out for awhile. I'm guessing francouz will be too. His injury is pretty tragic as he had an amazing opportunity to steal a lot of minutes and establish himself. Instead, some asshat ran him over in the first 30s if the game.
He did get called up in past? Must have missed that, thought this is his first call-up. I believe he will play, he will have to clear waivers next year, so they (Jets) might as well see what they have in him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He did get called up in past? Must have missed that, thought this is his first call-up. I believe he will play, he will have to clear waivers next year, so they (Jets) might as well see what they have in him.
He was a black ace for playoff run.

I'm really hoping this works out for him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chytil hás been amazing for the Rangers, legit top 6 center right now.

4 game point streak. The goals (except one) have all been high end too. 5 goals in 8 games is a hell of a start. Hopefully he gets more minutes and keeps scoring. Also, hopefully he's not pissed about being benched and goes to the World's!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sunday morning check in...

I thought I'd look at Junior first:

upload_2019-11-17_10-16-39.png

Jenik is killing it. Pytlik has slowed a little. Pekar is doing great. I don't know much about Macacek but he's 17 and in the OHL.

upload_2019-11-17_10-18-4.png

Not as good in the Q... but Ivan Ivan is 17. He's doing quite well. What is going on with Barinka?

upload_2019-11-17_10-20-42.png

The big thing is that we have a Dman at well over a .ppg. This would be impressive but, remember, he's 20 and an overager. Still, very encouraging and the Leaf's D is in poor shape after this season as they can't keep all their guys... maybe an opening in 2 years? Also,I'm guessing 3 of these D will be on WJHC team... Kubicek, Zabransky and Kral. Novak is doing very well as a 17 year old. He might rise up in the draft! A good World Junior's would be real helpful.

upload_2019-11-17_10-23-23.png

The AHL continues to underwhelm. Happy for Frk.. no idea why he isn't getting the call to LA? Still hoping Zboril/Masin at least get an NHL chance (both not waiver exempt next year I think). Not sure what is happening with Kaut. Zadina had 0 points in his first 9 games (or something like that) so he's clearly heating up! Good. He has a golden opporutnity to join a very young and developing team with an awesome GM.

Chytil is lighting it up in a big way and looking to stay in the NHL. Just unbelievable.

The big one for me is Filip Chlapik... this guy (haha) is turning 6 minutes a night into a full time NHL job. It's crazy but he keeps getting points in the NHL despite getting the worst minutes in the league. He also has a great opportunity to stick in the NHL.

upload_2019-11-17_10-27-18.png

He, somewhow, got 3 points in 5 games (2nd line scoring rate) with those 4th line minutes. Anyone that every bitches their favourite prospect isn't getting enough powerplay or first line minutes should look at Chlapik (or Simon) as 2 guys that got the worst minutes and somehow turned it into full time NHL work. Well, Chlapik isn't full time yet but he's battling:

upload_2019-11-17_10-28-49.png

5 points in 10 games is very good production. When you factor in his minutes, it's exceptional. I assume he has to improve his defensive game. For the record his 2 goals and 3 assists equals his career totals from the last 2 seasons. keep going Filip!

Last one for today.. I thought I'd look at our Centre's because we're starting to get a real good NHL spine of players. If a best on best came... I'm not even sure how that'd look as we have excellent C's.. both of the scoring and defensive kind. Unfortunately, Sobotka is out for awhile.

upload_2019-11-17_10-32-9.png

Kampf gets all the tough starts and dirty work. He's excellent and very underrated. Hertl/Krejci as our top 2 C's. Then Faksa/Chytil would be how I'd do it. I'd put Necas on wing. I'd put Kampf on wing too. Zacha wouldn't show up so I'll leave him out. I'd put Simon on a wing too. Our C's are getting pretty good. In 2 years I imagine we'll have 3 very established C's in the NHL.. Hertl, Necas and Chytil. Not bad at all!

Still steaming at the Francouz injury... he was doing a great job as an incombent starter.. just awful luck.

Reactions: Goodman68 and Rexor

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oops... I said Kral would be on Junior team.. I don't think he's eligible. My bad.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Vanecek got the call today. I don't see him starting a game. Michal Spacek also got the call. Same thing. Hope I'm wrong!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sunday morning check in.. the big one, for me, is this:

upload_2019-11-24_11-7-9.png

Jenik is one point out of first in OHL scoring. He's older than the 3 around him so keep that in mind but, also, Kaliyev has played 3 more games than him. Having said that, McMichael has played 3 less games than Jenik. Jenik is holding tremendous company. I didn't think we'd have much offence at the World Jrs but I think we could have a real solid group of forwards now. If guys like Jenik or Lauko get hot and our goalie pulls miracles (which he is capable of) we might be able to eak out 3-2 type wins against the big boys. We'll see.

Francous is back and healthy.. Grubauer got tanked by the Leafs and Pavel came in and was perfect in relief. Might get him a few more starts. My dream for him is about 20 games and I think he'll get that. Both backups then came in while he and Grubauer were hurt got tanked as well.

I thought I'd look at goal scorers. We haven't had a lot of elite shooters in awhile... more passers and 200 foot players but we're starting to get some goal scorers again:

upload_2019-11-24_11-13-30.png

Obviously, Pastrnak is on fire and on pace for a 50 goal season. Leads the league in the category and seems to score every night. Hertl is at a .ppg pace and an elite Centre. It's the other 3 that interest me in our Top 5... Vrana, Chytil and Palat. Vrana has 11 goals at even strength and is near the top in the leaue for even strength goals. Chytil is scoring at a ridiculous pace and almost all the goals are gorgeous. I mention these 2 because they were both healthy scratches at the World's a few months ago while the Zohorna's and Gulas's were running wild. Faksa and Palat are next in line and Riha was able to get one goal out of them. My point? Riha is not good with NHL players and I'm scared he's going to piss them all off and they'll stop coming. I wish Riha the best of luck in the EHT and warm up games but he seems reluctant to play our NHL guys and prefers grinders in lower leagues.

Zacha is doing very little... again. Kubalik is starting to score.. I love his old school 'shoot always' game... I thin he'll get better as year goes on. Kase has slowed a bit as I was excited he's finally healthy. Hajek is getting less minutes and, I think, some guy named Fox is taking his minutes (and doing very well with them).

Reactions: Fvital92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->