GDT: Czech Republic Vs Russia | 12/27 @ 9:30PM ET | TSN/NHLN

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When the Russians took shots, they were from just inside the blue line around the middle of the ice. Easiest place to block shots, and to get through the puck has to travel through 10 bodies. Nobody tried to go into the area in front of the goal to fight for close in shots. I know the Swedes are thinking that they wish they could play the game tonight.

Not only to get close shots, but to get in the way of the defenders. It was so easy for the Czechs to get into position to block shots and to block cross ice passes, and easy for the goaltender to see everything.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I’ll have a Kozel Lager in celebration, mmm Czech beer rules!

It was crazy to watch a bunch of undrafted guys blocking shots and gutting out... most these guys literally just had the games of their lives!

Crazy upset...

I still think Russia will be in the semis and this won't slow them down one bit but, tonight, I drink!lol
ECEFA584-74CC-4C24-AD6F-73294870A4D0.gif

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Bragins Russians lost 3 times to worse Czech teams in the last few years.
It’s one game. Russia always plays when it matters.
Losing is one thing. everybody loses. Losing how is another. I've seen too many troubling things in that game. Larionov's coaching is the most troubling I guess. The young defencemen giving up scoring chances on "beginner mistakes" was expected. Forwards not producing was not. But the schemes for forwards were just ridiculously dumb against what the Czechs play for decades.

Reactions: BMann and Passionis

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
9 of the last 10 tourneys
17 of the last 20
Not worried about Russia medalling!
Czechs beat russia last year and Russia was in the most interesting 3rd period gold medal game in history!
Different coach though...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Missed the game! Just wondering how did Lukas Parik play?
He got the shutout.. not sure I rmember any 10 bell saves?
Czechs played very hard in front of him and Russia didn't really have many 2 on 1's or breakaways. it was a crazy game with a bunch of Junior B players somehow beating Junior A players. I'm positive a lot of Czechs have bruises after this one.

Reactions: andys and Goodman68

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Losing is one thing. everybody loses. Losing how is another. I've seen too many troubling things in that game. Larionov's coaching is the most troubling I guess. The young defencemen giving up scoring chances on "beginner mistakes" was expected. Forwards not producing was not. But the schemes for forwards were just ridiculously dumb against what the Czechs play for decades.
I agree. It almost seems like Larionov coming in 2020 trying to coach a late 80s game, and when an opponent counters with an effective tactic - he's got nothing.

This is Larionov's loss through and through.

Reactions: Atas2000

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Definatly a good game for Czechs, I hope they realise they are better than celebrating a round robin game like a gold medal though.

Who else feels like this would've went vastly different with Bragin. It feels weird to say this, but I miss him when Russia is behind in the score.

Reactions: snipes

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Definatly a good game for Czechs, I hope they realise they are better than celebrating a round robin game like a gold medal though.

Who else feels like this would've went vastly different with Bragin. It feels weird to say this, but I miss him when Russia is behind in the score.
They won 1 game last year
They haven't medalled in 15 years
They have one QF win in 15 years

They can celebrate naked in that hallway! Go hump a Gretzky statue!

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
They won 1 game last year
They haven't medalled in 15 years
They have one QF win in 15 years

They can celebrate naked in that hallway! Go hump a Gretzky statue!
Lol OK, I mean I kind of feel bad that's all they think of themselves! With that attitude when can they ever consider achieving high results??

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
We have a day off tomorrow.. and NO.. I think the US will methodically destroy us.

What's with all the mid-tier teams doubting their own performances lol. Afraid of disappointment?? As a neutral I just watched your nation's jr team systematically disassemble the Russian machine. Maybe from a Russian or Czech POV it was different, but it was a 100% solid win due to tactics and grit, nothing flukey about it at all. The scoreline reflects the game.

I'm not predicting Czechs will win vs. the US, but if they play with the same intensity and adaptability as they did tonight I have no reason to "expect" a US led thrashing and wouldn't feel confident putting money on it. Like the other poster said, be more confident, the results haven't been great in recent years but there is still in some ways a Top 6 and Czechs are now right in the mix now with a wide open Group B. I honestly don't know if I strongly prefer Team Canada to play this 120% intensity version of the Czechs over another opponent from this group barring Austria.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What's with all the mid-tier teams doubting their own performances lol. Afraid of disappointment?? As a neutral I just watched your nation's jr team systematically disassemble the Russian machine. Maybe from a Russian or Czech POV it was different, but it was a 100% solid win due to tactics and grit, nothing flukey about it at all. The scoreline reflects the game.

I'm not predicting Czechs will win vs. the US, but if they play with the same intensity and adaptability as they did tonight I have no reason to "expect" a US led thrashing and wouldn't feel confident putting money on it. Like the other poster said, be more confident, the results haven't been great in recent years but there is still in some ways a Top 6 and Czechs are now right in the mix now with a wide open Group B. I honestly don't know if I strongly prefer Team Canada to play this 120% intensity version of the Czechs over another opponent from this group barring Austria.
If you're a fan of Canada.. you want us in the quarters. Trust me.lol

Reactions: czechcanadian

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Well, this was unexpected :D
It'd be great if they could make it out of the QF for once... They played 1/2 of a good game against Sweden and beat Russia.
Then again... they scored 3 goals in 2 games. Not great.
On to the US.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I've seen this so many times where a team pulls off a massive win and has nothing left in the tank for the next game. It's like all of the energy and emotion has been used up and the team struggles to reset and focus on the next game. I'd be surprised if the Czechs keep it close vs the US. This was pretty much their gold medal game that they have played tonight. With that being said, I hope I'm wrong and the Czechs can make a game of it vs the Americans :nod:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He’s only cracked up to be? Did you miss the Hlinka, WJAC, WJC18? Surely you’ve seen him play that amazing before.

The World Juniors is an entirely different level and the other stuff is already forgotten.

I saw Kirill Kabanov and Mikhail Grigorenko dominate in those events, which didn't translate. The U20s is the real deal - the next best thing to the big leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad