GDT: Czech Republic Vs Russia | 12/27 @ 9:30PM ET | TSN/NHLN

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I've seen this so many times where a team pulls off a massive win and has nothing left in the tank for the next game. It's like all of the energy and emotion has been used up and the team struggles to reset and focus on the next game. I'd be surprised if the Czechs keep it close vs the US. This was pretty much their gold medal game that they have played tonight. With that being said, I hope I'm wrong and the Czechs can make a game of it vs the Americans :nod:
I don't know what year it was.. but I remember the Czechs beating Canada! The next day we lost to Germany (and not he current German teams that are probably better than us, I mean a 10th ranked German team that probably didn't produce many NHL players)....

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't know what year it was.. but I remember the Czechs beating Canada! The next day we lost to Germany (and not he current German teams that are probably better than us, I mean a 10th ranked German team that probably didn't produce many NHL players)....

Haha yeah it happens pretty often, even in the NHL. I've seen the Oilers pull off massive wins vs division rivals and then come out totally flat and lose the next game vs a very beatable opponent. It's more difficult in a back to back as it is harder to mentally reset for the next matchup. But all the Czechs really have to do is pretend that the Americans are Russians and they should win easily :laugh:

Reactions: Czechboy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Congrats Czechia on the big win. I enjoyed that one. great goal song, by the way! not sure if it's a new selection. don't recall hearing it before. but I would like to hear that being played at a tournament in Czech Rep with 15,000 fans in attendance. you know, when life returns back to something close to normal.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Classic Russian hockey. Lots of diving. Great game by the Czechs, incredible commitment to team defense.

Askarov got outplayed by a third round pick. Hopefully that cools off some of TSN’s crush on him.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
great goal song, by the way! not sure if it's a new selection. don't recall hearing it before
It's been the men's team goal song for basically all of the 2010s, sometimes for the U20 too. I'm a little surprised by this lazy recycling (not saying the song per se is bad though, I like too)

I would like to hear that being played at a tournament in Czech Rep with 15,000 fans in attendance.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
To all of you wondering why Czechs celebrated the way they did.

1) They really needed that.
2) There is a long period of doubt if Czech hockey will be able to compete the way it did in the past (especially the turn of the century or around 1970)
3) It’s Russia. That makes it different.
I wouldn’t say this rivalry is one-sided, but it’s not equal. It’s not like sibling rivalries of SWE-FIN or CZE-SVK.

If Czech players don’t switch to another gear against Russians on the biggest International stage, there is something wrong.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It's been the men's team goal song for basically all of the 2010s, sometimes for the U20 too. I'm a little surprised by this lazy recycling (not saying the song per se is bad though, I like too)

wow, cool clip! thanks for that. shame on me for missing that for a decade.

hopefully soon we're back to enjoying hockey tournaments like that again.

Reactions: Pandaman11

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Classic Russian hockey. Lots of diving. Great game by the Czechs, incredible commitment to team defense.

Askarov got outplayed by a third round pick. Hopefully that cools off some of TSN’s crush on him.
Eh, Askarov was fine, besides, it was one game. Even the best goalies have a bad game every now and then.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
After the introductory blowout round this tournament is starting to be pretty interesting. Firstly, Canada was quite busy with Slovaks and now Czechs have beaten Russia? Not bad, at all.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Game like that you have to get set up at the back of the net and get the other team chasing. It was a great game to watch. Glad I stayed up late.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Question to the Czechs: What is the correct name of your country in English?

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I regret not watching the third period of this one, though I'll probably watch a replay. Looked very much like a classic Czech game in terms of style, and the Czech Republic usually ups its game against Russia.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Czechia is also an official short form for Czech Republic.
Yes. But I know that they prefer the other term.

As an example, here are the words of Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš in interview for the Wall Street Journal:
“I don’t like this. We are the Czech Republic. We are Czechs. And I don’t know who came with such a stupid idea. Crazy.”

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Yes. But I know that they prefer the other term.

As an example, here are the words of Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš in interview for the Wall Street Journal:
“I don’t like this. We are the Czech Republic. We are Czechs. And I don’t know who came with such a stupid idea. Crazy.”
Preference is another issue and I agree with the sentiment.

Reactions: stastny12

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Question to the Czechs: What is the correct name of your country in English?
Czech Republic standing for Česká Republika.

Czechia is relatively new trend that’s been heavily pushed by our current president.

Czechia would be translated as Česko, which is kind of informal and also a bit messy, because it sounds similar to Čechy (Bohemia) which is one of the historical lands that form our country. The other two are Moravia and Silesia. (Large portion of Silesia is in Poland though.)

Last edited:

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Enjoy the win tonight/morning for those in Czechia. That’s a very good team you guys just beat. Don’t think they were prepared for the physicality the Czechs played with.
Ew, it's the Czech Republic. Not "Czechia", even it's citizens don't like that.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I believe it was 2013. Jakub Vranas draft year.
That was one of the biggest surprises inCzech hockey for sure.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Great game by the Czech's, always love seeing an upset, though it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility for the Czechs to beat the Russians on any given night - they did beat them last year in the group play as well after all. Just an all around solid defensive game though by them, and they capitalized when they had the chance to do so - this group is awesome!

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I believe it was 2013. Jakub Vranas draft year.
That was one of the biggest surprises inCzech hockey for sure.

It was 2014 WJC but that match happened still in 2013, yeah.. McDavid was there although very young and I remember Dominik Simon with a game winning shootout in Forsberg style. Hell of a game for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad