WJC: Czech Republic 2020 Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I get the Big 5 aren't exactly pissing their pants at the thought of Lauko and Blumel but I've got Lauko on top line and Blumel hopefully providing secondary scoring in bottom 6. He's an Oiler's pick so I hope he makes it! Still pissed they didn't invite Mazura to the Junior A Challenge... would've loved to have seem him there. I've watched both games so far... both goalies have been great. Kakpa is my new favoutie prospect - dude is Chara's size at 18. He's not perfect but I hope someone drafts him late and tries to develop him. Barinka and Rychlovksky have also looked excellent and I could see them helping out bottom 6 as well. Barinka was named one of 3 best players at Hlinka I believe.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I get the Big 5 aren't exactly pissing their pants at the thought of Lauko and Blumel but I've got Lauko on top line and Blumel hopefully providing secondary scoring in bottom 6. He's an Oiler's pick so I hope he makes it! Still pissed they didn't invite Mazura to the Junior A Challenge... would've loved to have seem him there. I've watched both games so far... both goalies have been great. Kakpa is my new favoutie prospect - dude is Chara's size at 18. He's not perfect but I hope someone drafts him late and tries to develop him. Barinka and Rychlovksky have also looked excellent and I could see them helping out bottom 6 as well. Barinka was named one of 3 best players at Hlinka I believe.

Klapka has the potential to become a very solid checker, maybe even on the NHL level. I see him as an useful 4th line C in a few years.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

So weird. Barinka has been nothing but disappointing in Halifax.
2 years ago I thought he would be drafted at least.
Anyways nice to see him playing well

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
ELrsBCLW4AEMJlc

Reactions: lindgren

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I'm surprised Řehák, Sedlák are cut. In my opinion they are both very good prospects. But maybe they didn't do their best during the camp. The biggest surprise of the roster as it stands by now is probably Ondrej Pavel. Didn't expect him to be invited from the USHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm surprised Řehák, Sedlák are cut. In my opinion they are both very good prospects. But maybe they didn't do their best during the camp. The biggest surprise of the roster as it stands by now is probably Ondrej Pavel. Didn't expect him to be invited from the USHL.
I guess Rehak is the biggest cut... Swiss league is no joke and he's doing well.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
FYI Lauko started skating yesterday in a non-contact jersey. That gives him a week and a half to be cleared before your first game.

czechgame

Mar 16, 2019
There’s a possibility Bruins will not want to let Lauko play at the WJC if he’s not 100% OK.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This Lauko news is not good... I was hoping he'd be playing by now. Agreed with czechgame, Bruin's might say he can't go and the fact he's not playing is also not good.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Surprised koffer has made it this far. Suspect he is the last cut.
Koffer is exactly the kind of player our coach probably loves. Fact he was selected in the 2nd batch of players (one that includes all the experienced players, who are expected to be leaders, such as Lauko or Jenik) speaks volume how our coaching staff views him. It's also possible his WHL team just didn't want to release him, but I suspect the former is the reason.

Regarding Lauko:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Lauko didn’t pass the NHL/AHL medical exam, said Varada for hokej.cz today.
Not good... Long flights dont help either. Hopefully he can fly over a little later and be up to speed for the quarterfinals... If we make them.

Everyone else is there and healthy which is great.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Lauko didn’t pass the NHL/AHL medical exam, said Varada for hokej.cz today.

He should be checked today again. I suppose Varada was not talking about today's medical exam. It was still very early there overseas when he gave that interview. It is extremely unlikely he already had results from today. From what I understand, he didn't pass a few days ago but should be re-examined today (see Mark Divver's tweet). If he passes, he is expected to take his flight tomorrow.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He should be checked today again. I suppose Varada was not talking about today's medical exam. It was still very early there overseas when he gave that interview. It is extremely unlikely he already had results from today. From what I understand, he didn't pass a few days ago but should be re-examined today (see Mark Divver's tweet). If he passes, he is expected to take his flight tomorrow.
Get his ass on that plane.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is my decade old gripe for Czech Junior hockey. Looking at the list of who is left in camp:

Dvacítka je kompletní, až na Lauka. Neprošel prohlídkou, říká Varaďa | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

Here are the leagues represented by these roughly 30 players:
Extraliga
WHL
Liiga (Finland)
Czech 2
Swiss 2
Swiss 1
USHL
OHL
QMJHL
AHL

I looked at the Finnish roster on here.. it's complete and about 90% of the guys play in Finland. Roughly 90% of the American's play in America. Same with Canada and Russia.

I know I could lump OHL/WHL/QMJHL into one category and call it CHL to make the list smaller as that is a bit misleading.
Still, I can't think of another nation that has their players so spread out? Usually we also have players in the Swedish league as well. Just an awful way to develop talent. I'm all for anything that keeps our best Czechs home until they are good enough for the AHL or premiere spots in the CHL.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Here is my decade old gripe for Czech Junior hockey. Looking at the list of who is left in camp:

Dvacítka je kompletní, až na Lauka. Neprošel prohlídkou, říká Varaďa | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

Here are the leagues represented by these roughly 30 players:
Extraliga
WHL
Liiga (Finland)
Czech 2
Swiss 2
Swiss 1
USHL
OHL
QMJHL
AHL

I looked at the Finnish roster on here.. it's complete and about 90% of the guys play in Finland. Roughly 90% of the American's play in America. Same with Canada and Russia.

I know I could lump OHL/WHL/QMJHL into one category and call it CHL to make the list smaller as that is a bit misleading.
Still, I can't think of another nation that has their players so spread out? Usually we also have players in the Swedish league as well. Just an awful way to develop talent. I'm all for anything that keeps our best Czechs home until they are good enough for the AHL or premiere spots in the CHL.
Yeah but our programs don’t seem to be good enough to develop these guys into nhlers. There’s always a huge drop in development when it comes to the 18 and 19 year olds.
there are some hockey schools that are decent, but the clubs themselves are not there yet.
All of Sweden’s roster is also playing in Sweden. It’s crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad