WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think it's that good. Probably worse than this year and last year. Better goaltending. Defense sucks both years. Forwards are a lot worse.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Not gonna overreact to the lack of scoring in their first game but Zadina absolutely has to be moved up to the 1st line, defense is just what it is, I never expected it to be good, I have a lot of faith in Dostal and Skarek so at least there's that. 1st and 2nd periods were great 5 on 5 ruined by dumb/soft penalties, pretty terrible 3rd.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Not gonna overreact to the lack of scoring in their first game but Zadina absolutely has to be moved up to the 1st line, defense is just what it is, I never expected it to be good, I have a lot of faith in Dostal and Skarek so at least there's that. 1st and 2nd periods were great 5 on 5 ruined by dumb/soft penalties, pretty terrible 3rd.
I expected defense to be crap, however they gave up a breakaway every two minutes... against the Swiss. Not a single defenseman looked like he belonged at this level (not even Galvas, which is sad.)

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Bad, hopefully they can have an ok tournament considering it's played in the Czech Republic.

A lot of things can happen in one year. I have high hopes for Mysak, Novak and Pytlik booming among men next year. Obviously provided that they won't leave for CHL (have some doubts in Pytlik case for the way he's been treated by Vitkovice so far). Also there is a solid potential for uprgrading the play for Jenik, Teply, Lang, Barinka, Prikryl in one year. The crucial might be how Hugo Has and Kubicek will start to shape up.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Tough game today guys. It honestly there are a few positives.
We were ALL OVER the Swiss in the first 2 periods 5 on 5.
In contrast, Americans are really struggling with Slovaks right now. Slovaks should be winning. When you’re the favourite, it gets in your head. There’s more pressure.
Czechs weren’t able to finish some good chances and then got into penalty trouble.

THEY NEED TO CHANGE THEIR LINES.
Our offence is amazing. The coaches just need to get it right and players find some chemistry.
If they do that then game against Russia could be insteresting. Canada will destroy us no matter what.

Reactions: Rexor

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Tough game today guys. It honestly there are a few positives.
We were ALL OVER the Swiss in the first 2 periods 5 on 5.
In contrast, Americans are really struggling with Slovaks right now. Slovaks should be winning. When you’re the favourite, it gets in your head. There’s more pressure.
Czechs weren’t able to finish some good chances and then got into penalty trouble.

THEY NEED TO CHANGE THEIR LINES.
Our offence is amazing. The coaches just need to get it right and players find some chemistry.
If they do that then game against Russia could be insteresting. Canada will destroy us no matter what.

Positive: .After necas took a dumb penalty with 3 minutes left... Our pk didn't allow a shot on net.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
A lot of things can happen in one year. I have high hopes for Mysak, Novak and Pytlik booming among men next year. Obviously provided that they won't leave for CHL (have some doubts in Pytlik case for the way he's been treated by Vitkovice so far). Also there is a solid potential for uprgrading the play for Jenik, Teply, Lang, Barinka, Prikryl in one year. The crucial might be how Hugo Has and Kubicek will start to shape up.
We will see. I am not sold on Novak. Can't expect 02s to lead the team anyway. Next year we will have even worse defense than this year. At least on paper, since I doubt it can be worse than what we have just witnessed against Switzerland.

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
Pytlik is starting to get more minutes and space, so I think that he will stay.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
I expected defense to be crap, however they gave up a breakaway every two minutes... against the Swiss. Not a single defenseman looked like he belonged at this level (not even Galvas, which is sad.)
I'm hoping that was just a first game thing, the odd man rushes/breakaways were brutal by any teams standards, I just wish we could start producing dmen, we're so behind when it comes to defenseman development it's unreal, we desperately need more Hronek like prospects, whatever the Czech junior coaches are teaching these kids is so outdated, the game has changed and they need to adapt asap

Reactions: czechmate

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I'm hoping that was just a first game thing, the odd man rushes/breakaways were brutal by any teams standards, I just wish we could start producing dmen, we're so behind when it comes to defenseman development it's unreal, we desperately need more Hronek like prospects, whatever the Czech junior coaches are teaching these kids is so outdated, the game has changed and they need to adapt asap
I hope it's 1st game thing too.
You could take the best Czech defenseman from each age group in the last 6 years (94-99) and the defensive core you get would be still average at the WJC level.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Chytil would be a massive difference maker on this team. I really hope the Rangers decide to release him. It would add so much scoring depth and make them so much more difficult to defend. Pair off the best players:

Necas-Zadina, Chytil-Kaut, Kondelik-Lauko.

Not sure how some of these guys made the team over Jenik and Salda. My God that D was bad outside of Galvas and Kral. How on earth did Salda not make it? At least he can move the puck...

Reactions: Goodman68

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Defence was bad but I think you’re over reacting a little if you’re saying Galvas didn’t belong. Sure there was one moment I can remember when he got out muscled and allowed a chance but it was not dangerous at all. The rest of the time he made some really nice offensive and defensive plays.

Reactions: smitty10

Swipes

Ice Hockey World Champions 2024!
Apr 13, 2010
So I missed the game as my internet died before it started:(

From what you guys said, it seems like the defense is the biggest problem and the fact that the coach doesn't want to put all his offensive eggs into one basket. It's just weird that in his interview he seems to act like they were fine and there weren't any major issues. But it seems like there are, I just hope he reacts to it by making some changes. Let's see.

I reckon he goes with Skarek against Russia. I hope I'll get to see the game this time!

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

From what you guys said, it seems like the defense is the biggest problem and the fact that the coach doesn't want to put all his offensive eggs into one basket. It's just weird that in his interview he seems to act like they were fine and there weren't any major issues. But it seems like there are, I just hope he reacts to it by making some changes. Let's see.

I reckon he goes with Skarek against Russia. I hope I'll get to see the game this time!
I really do not see the only reason to play Škarek. That's probably the only reason to praise Varaďa for play Dostal. Škarek has collapsed in the championship three times.

Reactions: Wooren

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Just terrible defensive performance all around. We are going nowhere, if everything stands only on Necas, Zadina & Kaut.

Sit Machala and Gaspar, put Jenik and Salda in.

Lauko - Necas - Hrabik
Zadina - Pekar - Kaut
Plasek - Hladonik - Kondelik
Pour - Kern - Jenik

Galvas - Kral
Salda - Kvasnicka
Bukac - Mikyska

Dostal/Skarek

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Just terrible defensive performance all around. We are going nowhere, if everything stands only on Necas, Zadina & Kaut.

Lauko - Necas - Hrabik
Zadina - Pekar - Kaut
Pour - Kern - Jenik

Galvas - Kral
Salda - Kvasnicka
Bukac - Mikyska

Dostal/Skarek

How on earth you keep Hrabik on the first line? He is good around boards and around the net, sure, but we need skill and speed in top6. He slowed Kaut and Necas down.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Defence was bad but I think you’re over reacting a little if you’re saying Galvas didn’t belong. Sure there was one moment I can remember when he got out muscled and allowed a chance but it was not dangerous at all. The rest of the time he made some really nice offensive and defensive plays.
I did over react, however on a legit medal contender Galvas is a #4 or #5 defenseman. On our team he is far and away the #1.

The perfomace of the Czech team was worse than last year in the medal rounds, when they got spanked 2:7 and 3:9. If it wasn't for Dostal, it would have gotten ugly fast.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
How on earth you keep Hrabik on the first line? He is good around boards and around the net, sure, but we need skill and speed in top6. He slowed Kaut and Necas down.
Czech coach is going the same way Babcock does with the Leafs. Won't separate Hyman from Tavares and Marner leaving them to carry around dead weight.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Lauko - Necas - Hrabik
Zadina - Pekar - Kaut
Pour - Kern - Jenik

Galvas - Kral
Salda - Kvasnicka
Bukac - Mikyska

Dostal/Skarek
I like the players, but I'd change up the lineup a little. After how great Necas and Zadina were last year, I would put them back together.

Zadina-Necas-Jenik
Lauko-Pekar-Kaut
Plasek-Kondelik-Hrabik
Pour-Hladonik-Kern

Galvas-Kral
Salda-Kvasnicka
Mikyska-Bukac

Skarek
Dostal

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I like the players, but I'd change up the lineup a little. After how great Necas and Zadina were last year, I would put them back together.

Zadina-Necas-Jenik
Lauko-Pekar-Kaut
Plasek-Kondelik-Hrabik
Pour-Hladonik-Kern

Galvas-Kral
Salda-Kvasnicka
Mikyska-Bukac

Skarek
Dostal

I like this lineup. I agree with puting Zadina together with Necas. If we really don't go with the superline Zadina-Necas-Kaut then I'd rather split Necas and Kaut than Necas and Zadina. But the first thing I would do is to remove Machala, Hladonik and Hrabik from the TOP6. I think that was a big mistake yestarday.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I like this lineup. I agree with puting Zadina together with Necas. If we really don't go with the superline Zadina-Necas-Kaut then I'd rather split Necas and Kaut than Necas and Zadina. But the first thing I would do is to remove Machala, Hladonik and Hrabik from the TOP6. I think that was a big mistake yestarday.

I like those guys but I have no idea what they have done to earn top 6. Varadas attempt to spread the offence actually thinned it out.

My guess is he is looking for grit and such but I didn't see much of that either. I saw weak defence and stupid penalties with a lack of finish. That game should've been put away after 2 periods. Hopefully lauko gets moved up after 2 points from third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad