WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I like those guys but I have no idea what they have done to earn top 6. Varadas attempt to spread the offence actually thinned it out.

My guess is he is looking for grit and such but I didn't see much of that either. I saw weak defence and stupid penalties with a lack of finish. That game should've been put away after 2 periods. Hopefully lauko gets moved up after 2 points from third line.
2 points from yesterday? Don’t think so. Lauko had 1 point from overtime.

Reactions: Czechboy

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Hladonik and Machala on 2nd line was a complete disaster as everyone has said.

Didn’t think Kondelik and Lauko played enough. Kondelik played lots of PK though.

1. Hrabik-Necas-Zadina
Lauko-Kondelik-Kaut
Pekar-Kern-Pour
Machala-Hladonik-Plasek

2. Lauko-Necas-Zadina
Pekar-Kondelik-Kaut
Hrabik-Kern-Pour
Machala-Hladonik-Plasek

I’m willing to give Hrabik a chance with Necas and Zadina. Always good to have someone strong on the boards. See what happens.
If it doesn’t work, throw in Lauko, put Hrabik to 3rd line, and bring Pekar to 2nd line.
Pekar is a very skilled player. I’ve seen him in Barrie Colts this season. 8 minutes of ice time for someone of his talent is crazy imo.

Swipes

Ice Hockey World Champions 2024!
Apr 13, 2010
The perfomace of the Czech team was worse than last year in the medal rounds, when they got spanked 2:7 and 3:9. If it wasn't for Dostal, it would have gotten ugly fast.

That sounds pretty grim. I hated the way they played vs USA for the bronze last year. Thanks for the summary.

Perhaps I should think again about watching the game vs Russia, the frustration might be too much for me.:help:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I like those guys but I have no idea what they have done to earn top 6. Varadas attempt to spread the offence actually thinned it out.

My guess is he is looking for grit and such but I didn't see much of that either. I saw weak defence and stupid penalties with a lack of finish. That game should've been put away after 2 periods. Hopefully lauko gets moved up after 2 points from third line.
He's following the Mike Babcock model. I love Babs as a coach and think he's brilliant, but his line creation can be terrible. It works to an extent because Toronto has so much offensive depth however it still hurts your best players.

Those guys need to be moved to the bottom 6. Let's hope it gets done.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I thought of 2 more bright sides

1. We hit several posts and were unlucky. Our goal against was also a complete fluke that landed on a Swiss stick.

2. We played like shit and won... That is so much better than playing like shit and losing or playing awesome and losing

Reactions: czechcanadian

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
That sounds pretty grim. I hated the way they played vs USA for the bronze last year. Thanks for the summary.

Perhaps I should think again about watching the game vs Russia, the frustration might be too much for me.:help:
It was different kind of "bad". Last year against USA they played like they didn't care in the slightest, I don't even think USA outplayed them that much, but it still ended up being 3:9 loss. Felt like every semi dangerous shot by the Americans went in.
The Swiss were clearly more prepared for the game, didn't allow us to set up on the PP at all, played their PP well and overall it was their frustrating defensive system, hoping for breakaways. Unfortunately it worked.
I thought of 2 more bright sides

1. We hit several posts and were unlucky. Our goal against was also a complete fluke that landed on a Swiss stick.

2. We played like **** and won... That is so much better than playing like **** and losing or playing awesome and losing
Our lone goal in regulation was also a fluke. Though it's true we hit about 3 times a post.
As for the bolded... anyone remember 2017? How Czechs, in my opinion, pretty clearly outplayed and outshot both Switzerland and Denmark, yet lost both games in OT. That was worse, such a frustrating tournament.

I hope Jenik and Salda get added to the roster. Salda is no world beater, but last year he was decent, certainly an upgrade on some of the defensemen who played yesterday.

Reactions: Goodman68

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
It was different kind of "bad". Last year against USA they played like they didn't care in the slightest, I don't even think USA outplayed them that much, but it still ended up being 3:9 loss. Felt like every semi dangerous shot by the Americans went in.
The Swiss were clearly more prepared for the game, didn't allow us to set up on the PP at all, played their PP well and overall it was their frustrating defensive system, hoping for breakaways. Unfortunately it worked.

Our lone goal in regulation was also a fluke. Though it's true we hit about 3 times a post.
As for the bolded... anyone remember 2017? How Czechs, in my opinion, pretty clearly outplayed and outshot both Switzerland and Denmark, yet lost both games in OT. That was worse, such a frustrating tournament.

I hope Jenik and Salda get added to the roster. Salda is no world beater, but last year he was decent, certainly an upgrade on some of the defensemen who played yesterday.
I keep forgetting about Jenik. He really should be there.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Czech coach is going the same way Babcock does with the Leafs. Won't separate Hyman from Tavares and Marner leaving them to carry around dead weight.

I get what you are saying, but Hyman can keep up with them so he can "work for those guys", Hrabik cant keep up. We have plenty of speedy guys who could fill the same role.

Hrabik is a 3rd liner at best.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Still have the roster spots left open? Should keep them open until the new year and then beg the Rangers to send Chytil for the QF, they can spare him for 1 game :sarcasm:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Gotta say, I don't feel as bad about our 2-1 win over the Swiss now!
I still do. Switzerland may play good system, but individually they are not very good and should be exploitable. Yet we didn't manage to do crap against them. Not good coaching in my opinion, they were unable to adjust the strategy. I didn't watch the game against Canada, can't comment that one. But the bottom line is, we should have gotten 3 points.

Speaking of the Swiss though, I wonder why the Czech national teams don't try to play the same defensive shell system more often. Skate hard, break up opponents play and try to make the most of the occasional breakaways. It wouldn't be a joy to watch, but it would partially erase the lack of quality on defense, reduce the number of blowouts we suffer and perhaps we would have won a medal by now.
The Czech U18s did it last year in the playoffs in both Hlinka and U18 WJC, and it got them a silver and 4th place. Not a single blowout, too.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
So I saw some of the Denmark vs Russia game yesterday. It was only the first game for Russia but I have to say that I wasn't very impressed. They took a lot of penalties and seemed to be playing in low gear. If we can improve defensively and reshuffle the lines a bit then I think we can beat them. I think we'll have some opportunities on the PP and we'll need to take them.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Speaking of the Swiss though, I wonder why the Czech national teams don't try to play the same defensive shell system more often. Skate hard, break up opponents play and try to make the most of the occasional breakaways. It wouldn't be a joy to watch, but it would partially erase the lack of quality on defense, reduce the number of blowouts we suffer and perhaps we would have won a medal by now.

I think perhaps the issue is that we still think we have good enough players that we don't have to play that way. Or that we've improved enough in some aspects that those kind of strategies are reserved for less skilled teams. Not sure.

I certainly agree that that sort of tactic would suit us much better and as you said, can yield results. The Swiss have certainly done well with it and if they had our top 3 forwards (Necas Zadina Kaut) they could potentially win with it too.

It's almost like we don't always play to our strengths.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I get what you are saying, but Hyman can keep up with them so he can "work for those guys", Hrabik cant keep up. We have plenty of speedy guys who could fill the same role.

Hrabik is a 3rd liner at best.
Hyman is a 3rd liner at best as well.

Sure, he can keep up skating-wise, but he's a drain on offense. His linemates set him up constantly and he can't do anything with the puck. I feel like Hrabik is much the same. Put him in a bottom 6 role. Roll your skilled guys with other skilled guys.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I think perhaps the issue is that we still think we have good enough players that we don't have to play that way. Or that we've improved enough in some aspects that those kind of strategies are reserved for less skilled teams. Not sure.

I certainly agree that that sort of tactic would suit us much better and as you said, can yield results. The Swiss have certainly done well with it and if they had our top 3 forwards (Necas Zadina Kaut) they could potentially win with it too.

It's almost like we don't always play to our strengths.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I still do. Switzerland may play good system, but individually they are not very good and should be exploitable. Yet we didn't manage to do crap against them. Not good coaching in my opinion, they were unable to adjust the strategy. I didn't watch the game against Canada, can't comment that one. But the bottom line is, we should have gotten 3 points.

The Czech U18s did it last year in the playoffs in both Hlinka and U18 WJC, and it got them a silver and 4th place. Not a single blowout, too.

It is a great question and I think the answer stems from us being the undisputed 6th best nation in the world. We don't have the guns to compete with the Top 5 in an open ended contest because our D just doesn't stack up to them. But I do feel we're better than whoever is 7th to 10th. I realize we occasionally lose to those nations but even using the last shitty decade of results, ours are much better.

So you take on the 'soccer approach' (Switzerland) and you start doing better but I don't think your players develop as well and it isn't very enjoyable. For the last 15 years TSN states 'the Swiss have arrived' but they really haven't. They had some really nice players but 2 or 3 in spurts and then nothing. I know Nico went 1 but how many other Swiss players have been drafted in the last 3 years combined? How many are slated for this upcoming draft? I'm not sure the Swiss program today is that much better than it was 15 years ago when they were also pulling upsets and working hard (usually great skaters with a Canadian coach).

It could be argued that our 2 Gold Medals were won in this style as people were booing our trap style of play but we won 2 Golds.

This year, I feel like Varada (who I respect and has had good results) seems to be coaching the team to play like Vaclav Varada. Hard nosed and checking. But, for once, I'd say we have 3 offensive guns that are good as anyone else in the tourney. Maybe I'm very bias but Kaut, Necas and Zadina are as good a trio as there is at the tournament. They are 19 years old, first rounders and playing well in the AHL. So do we go for it and create more offence and put them together more? Or do we play more safely and hope they can spring in a goal or two in counter attack? Tough call with our D who made the Swiss look like Team Russia everytime they got the puck and crossed our blue line.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Swiss draft picks in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Swiss draft picks in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Swiss draft picks in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Here are the last 3 drafts for the Swiss... 9 guys in 3 years. Nico in round 1 and everyone else in Round 4. The Swiss model creates close games but it hasn't resulted in many gold medals and it's not developing players to the NHL either. They are just really good at being very well coached and competitive. I'd even argue better than us at that as you rarely see the Swiss get their asses handed to them like we do.

NHL.com - Stats

Here are all the Swiss guys in the NHL. Top 5 is quite good. Josi is far and away better than any D we have. Still, after Fiala, no one has 10 points in the NHL and the season is half over. I also don't think there are any great Swiss players about to breakthrough in the AHL or KHL? At least not to my knowledge. This is their group.

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
Lineup for today's game.

Dostál – Galvas, Kvasnička, Mikyska, Gaspar, Král, Bukač – Hrabík, Nečas, Kaut – Zadina, Machala, Hladonik – Lauko, Kondelík, Plášek – Pekař, Kern, Pour.

Nothing changed n

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Pekar on the 4th line and Jenik in the pressbox, while Machala and Hladonik stay in the top 6 alongside Zadina. Machala should have played his way out of the line-up with his two stupid penalties in row (one of which cost us a goal against.)
No change on defense is just laughable, I guess they played perfect game against the Swiss.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Pekar on the 4th line and Jenik in the pressbox, while Machala and Hladonik stay in the top 6 alongside Zadina. Machala should have played his way out of the line-up with his two stupid penalties in row (one of which cost us a goal against.)
No change on defense is just laughable, I guess they played perfect game against the Swiss.
The second penalty was just a terrible call to be fair. Unlucky there, was just really bad timing.
He’s not a good hockey player though. Shouldn’t be in line-up.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
The second penalty was just a terrible call to be fair. Unlucky there, was just really bad timing.
He’s not a good hockey player though. Shouldn’t be in line-up.
I liked him a lot in his U18 days, thought he could get drafted in the late rounds. He didn't look good at all against Switzerland though, didn't even show off his speed, which he is known for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad