cya clarky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clarkson got off to a good start that year in his brief call up. 3 goals in like 7, 8, or 9 games or something.

Marty should have won the Hart Trophy that year too. Either that year and Sutter's first year he could have gotten it.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Clarkson got off to a good start that year in his brief call up. 3 goals in like 7, 8, or 9 games or something.

Marty should have won the Hart Trophy that year too. Either that year and Sutter's first year he could have gotten it.

7 games. Felt like it was at least double digits.
I didn't remember him scoring that many - but lo and behold, your memory is right on point again.

I just wasn't impressed with him. I didn't like his overall game, I thought he was blessed with beginners luck.
Little did I know that his whole game was based on having such luck.

I ate my crow accordingly, though.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
On the note of Clarkson being an undrafted free agent that Lou took a chance on to give him a shot, are there an undrafted prospects from this summer who are no longer draft eligible who we should look in to?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
7 games. Felt like it was at least double digits.
I didn't remember him scoring that many - but lo and behold, your memory is right on point again.

I just wasn't impressed with him. I didn't like his overall game, I thought he was blessed with beginners luck.
Little did I know that his whole game was based on having such luck.

I ate my crow accordingly, though.
He probably didn't score 3 goals in 7 games much after that until the 11-12 season.:laugh: To me I thought he would be a little better Mike Rupp. He turned out to be way better than that pissant though.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
On the note of Clarkson being an undrafted free agent that Lou took a chance on to give him a shot, are there an undrafted prospects from this summer who are no longer draft eligible who we should look in to?

Cole Bardreau maybe? Not sure how his recovery is going but he was pretty good at the WJC.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
I remember Clarkson's 1st game here, took two slap shots and both rang off the crossbar. "Hit the post with the shot."x2 Which brings me to another off topic point... I miss Doc!

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
Ah..memories:

Peppercorn, Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:01 AM:

One day it'll all click and he'll (Clarkson) have a massively banner season! THEN he'll think he's an offensive dynamo and everything will go out the window and he'll get a bad attitude and find himself on waivers... I see this coming in the next three years. .

SterioDesign, Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

newarkdev01, on 10 Feb 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:
Honestly clackson has turned into poor mans parise picking up "garbage" deflection goals ahd doing thedirty work down low

and by poor man parise i hope it means he's not gonna ask for a ridiculous contract and go back home lol

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If this is how a "c ya clarky" thread has gone then it's going to be an exorcism if the "Confirmed With Link: Clarkson Remains A Devil" thread appears

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
If this is how a "c ya clarky" thread has gone then it's going to be an exorcism if the "Confirmed With Link: Clarkson Remains A Devil" thread appears

I'm genuinely curious to see what the reception will be if he does stay a Devil.
Mixed bags of emotions around here.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

Its totally dependent on the terms. If its above 4, I wont be pleased, but I could live with it and would brush it off quickly. If its above 5, Ill be pissed. If its above 6, Lou has lost his mind. The one saving grace to a higher # is the cap is assuredly going up next season. The other thing I wouldnt want is him to have an NTC/NMC. We need some sort of a safety net.

Im okay with giving him a 5 year deal, its his cap hit Im most concerned with.

5 yr/20M/Limited NTC or 4 yr/18M/No NTC

Clarkson doesnt deserve an NMC.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
No way Lou signs Clarkson for 6 or higher. You don't pay that much for a 30-year-old, 40 point guy, even if 25 of those points are goals. A couple months ago, 5 million was the general "overpayment" number, and now suddenly it's 6.5? I don't buy it.

I'm wondering if it was someone like Lou who let the 6.5 million dollar figure leak, so that there would be a public outcry at the ridiculousness of that amount. Meanwhile, Lou slides a sheet of paper back across the table...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jesus, where did this $6.5 figure come from now? Last night it was $6, what's it gonna be tomorrow? $7?:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not going to be 6-6.5, even NHL GM's aren't 'that' kooky. Dreger mentioned 6-6.5 and everyone's been taking that as gospel.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's not going to be 6-6.5, even NHL GM's aren't 'that' kooky. Dreger mentioned 6-6.5 and everyone's been taking that as gospel.

I don't even think he's worth $5 but he'll probably get it. God help any team who starts getting into $5.5 or over.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Jesus, where did this $6.5 figure come from now? Last night it was $6, what's it gonna be tomorrow? $7?:laugh:

In fairness, it was 6-6.5 last night. Its not moved since then. Stupid Dreger. Helene St. James backed up that claim as well tho, so it sounds as though thats what he's trying to get. Its not a surprise we've heard nothing rumor wise about potential landing spots today. I have to think GMs are hanging up on his agent when they ask what hes looking for.

Edit: Just saw on Twitter that Edmonton really wants him. Let him ****ing go there.

https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey

"Doug MacLean on NiteCap, "The 2 teams pushing hard 4 David Clarkson are Toronto & Edmonton.""
"Doug MacLean on NiteCap "I would not be at all surprised if David Clarkson is a Maple Leaf July 5th."

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
So according to the main board Clarkson is demanding more money from Lou in order to stay in NJ, but will take a hometown discount.

I wish free agency opened now.....let's get the inevitable over with.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou should tell him to go **** himself if he wants more money to stay a Devil. I think he will do just that too. He was invisible for much of the last 35 games of the season, and was outscored by the one trick poni at one point. In fact, I think he was even one of the players Lou particularly talked about when saying certain players didn't step up.

Didn't he go as far as to actually say guys who produced early, were not producing later on the season? If that doesn't say Clarkson without saying it, then I don't know what does.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Lou should tell him to go **** himself if he wants more money to stay a Devil. I think he will do just that too. He was invisible for much of the last 35 games of the season, and was outscored by the one trick poni at one point. In fact, I think he was even one of the players Lou particularly talked about when saying certain players didn't step up.

Didn't he go as far as to actually say guys who produced early, were not producing later on the season? If that doesn't say Clarkson without saying it, then I don't know what does.

I think he did and a lot of us speculated Clarkson was one of those guys, but because of Deboer, he kept getting run out there constantly. I actually am in favor of not bringing Clarkson back to sort of force Deboer's hand a bit. I think he definitely played favorites and coddled Clarkson a lot since he's been here and made him look better than he really is overall.

I recognize Deboer didn't have a lot of assets to utilize and don't blame him for the offensive struggles, and I like his style, but he definitely lost some of the capital from the SCF run with some of his moves this past season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he did and a lot of us speculated Clarkson was one of those guys, but because of Deboer, he kept getting run out there constantly. I actually am in favor of not bringing Clarkson back to sort of force Deboer's hand a bit. I think he definitely played favorites and coddled Clarkson a lot since he's been here and made him look better than he really is overall.

I recognize Deboer didn't have a lot of assets to utilize and don't blame him for the offensive struggles, and I like his style, but he definitely lost some of the capital from the SCF run with some of his moves this past season.
Clarkson was outscored by the whole 4th line, and every non goon forward on the team for much of the last 34 games. He kinda went on a mini tear at the end, or at least by the standards of how he performed for most of that stretch. It seemed once Patty was threatening to take the team lead in goals from him, he would pot one just to ensure that wouldn't happen.:laugh:

And yes Pete did use him a lot for much of that time when Kovy was injured. It seemed like he was getting double shifted like Kovy usually would, and was out for much of the 3rd period, and I was ready to start seeing him on the PK by that time. Did he ever make it onto one of the penalty killing units? I don't think he did, but I'm not sure.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Depending on the price he may get with another team, he'll likely have been worth passing over, but either way, should we lose him, that is yet another offensive piece we have to replace on an offensively depleted team with not many great offensive options available - and the physical play from our team takes a hit as well

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If he really gets what is being talked about right now, we're right to let him walk. Just another Gomez situation waiting to happen at that price tag...

If he leaves for a reasonable amount I'll be sad that he left, because I'd love to have him back at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00