CXLII - Coyotes agree to play at ASU with $20m annex for next three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
So quebec would make more than let say houston whom the city is much bigger larger metro population and bigger TV market than quebec will ever be.

Is there currently a big demand for NHL hockey in Houston? IMO, they have the same inherent market issues that the Coyotes have. In Houston, the Yotes(Aeros?) would be the 4th major league team in the city, & would be competing for disposable income from the 3 established teams. The city also has similar population number with similar demographics that don't typically watch hockey. TV ratings would probably be negligible.

Is Houston a preferred market for the NHL BOG, sure, but let's not pretend a team is a slam dunk to be successful there. This is another reason the league would prefer the Yotes stay in Phoenix for both the short & long term.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Is there currently a big demand for NHL hockey in Houston? IMO, they have the same inherent market issues that the Coyotes have. In Houston, the Yotes(Aeros?) would be the 4th major league team in the city, & would be competing for disposable income from the 3 established teams. The city also has similar population number with similar demographics that don't typically watch hockey. TV ratings would probably be negligible.

Is Houston a preferred market for the NHL BOG, sure, but let's not pretend a team is a slam dunk to be successful there. This is another reason the league would prefer the Yotes stay in Phoenix for both the short & long term.

You realize Quebec already lost a team right? Also Ottawa a larger market struggles to draw fans and people in Winnipeg have been complaining about ticket prices and they have a 15k arena. Canada is definitely NOT a sure fire bet for long term success or growth for a new tv contract/sponsorships.

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
So quebec would make more than let say houston whom the city is much bigger larger metro population and bigger TV market than quebec will ever be.

Isn't Phoenix a larger metro area than Quebec? And the largest TV contract the NHL has is Canadian!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No actually "we all" for the most part agree Quebec will create more.

How? All of Canada doesn't need more than a couple of teams and almost everyone will still follow them or one of the US-based franchises. That's not true in Phoenix or Houston, if they don't have a franchise hardly anyone is going to watch hockey at all.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Isn't Phoenix a larger metro area than Quebec? And the largest TV contract the NHL has is Canadian!

The metro area is only about 10 times bigger in population than Quebec and average incomes are about 25% higher. But the love of hockey is supposed to make us all forget that.

As always, hockey is a sport and the NHL is a business. The love of hockey doesn't overcome the business realities that make Quebec highly difficult to work even if fans will fill all the seats.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You realize Quebec already lost a team right? Also Ottawa a larger market struggles to draw fans and people in Winnipeg have been complaining about ticket prices and they have a 15k arena. Canada is definitely NOT a sure fire bet for long term success or growth for a new tv contract/sponsorships.

Where did I once mention Quebec City? I think all indications are strongly pointing toward them staying put in Arizona. Clearly if the NHL is willing to let them play in this tiny arena, they are willing to do just about anything short of building them an NHL BOG funded arena.

People need to come to grips with the fact that the team has managed to pull off the impossible here. I know the Tempe arena needs to get approved by the city, but I gotta believe the city council is going to look favorably upon the Yotes investing real dollars into the ASU campus for the opportunity to stay in Tempe for the long haul.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Legend, looking at you because you seem to be in the know. Are there any updates to the timelines for approval of a new arena in Tempe?

Nothing I know of.

If they are going to wait until July after seating the 3 new council members before voting (there is one incumbent who's running but at least two will be new), that's when you'll probably see the first hearing appear on the council agenda regardless.

Coyotes are in constant communication with the Tempe city staff who's responsible for evaluating the proposal. So there are conversations going.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
lol I'm sorry I triggered you again, forgot that only TheLegend prescreened posters are allowed to coremment in this thread.

I'm actually laughing at your continued immature attempts to be relevant in this thread.

Because the discussion about a "plan B" hasn't really been on the table here other than a rumor.

Yet someone in the Coyotes forum posted a rumor about his contact inside the Coyotes mentioning Meruelo does have a plan B ready if he needs it.

And not long after, you thought it pertinent to come in here and mock Coyotes fans about it when even the posters on the Coyotes forum aren't really taking it that seriously.

That isn't prescreening.... it's calling you out for behaving like a troll. So if you want to run over to the Coyotes forum and read the arena discussion there by all means keep knocking yourself out.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There's some talk about an election in March...not being from Arizona nor US...is that the municipal election ? Is it just for Tempe or more like state wide ?

I am wondering if in the upcoming years, lets say Tempe falls and ASU deal comes to an end, if a new city office (major, council members) in Glendale could open a door to a new deal between Murelo and the city.

I feel like Murelo inherited the past 20 some years of bad history between Glendale and NHL/previous owners and no good will could have fixed it. But time does mend the wounds.

AFAIK It's just a local city election for Tempe only. Other cities could be having one but this one is unique to Tempe residents.

It's mail ballot only. Maricopa County handles all the municipal elections in their county that way.

Seven candidate qualified to run for 3 seats. One incumbent is running, the other two chose not to run again. IF there needs to be a runoff election that would come in May.

Reactions: powerstuck

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Podcast: Marek & Friedman: No Brotherly Love in Philadelphia https://player.fm/1BNQzUA

About 10 minutes in, Friedman and Marek talk about Arizona-ASU deal. Wonder if prospect may not want to go pro in college rink.

Shane Doan's son currently plays for ASU and is a Coyotes prospect. There are 3 or 4 other NHL prospects currently on ASU's roster, so I don't think there'll be a problem. :laugh:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I'm actually laughing at your continued immature attempts to be relevant in this thread.

Because the discussion about a "plan B" hasn't really been on the table here other than a rumor.

Yet someone in the Coyotes forum posted a rumor about his contact inside the Coyotes mentioning Meruelo does have a plan B ready if he needs it.

And not long after, you thought it pertinent to come in here and mock Coyotes fans about it when even the posters on the Coyotes forum aren't really taking it that seriously.

That isn't prescreening.... it's calling you out for behaving like a troll. So if you want to run over to the Coyotes forum and read the arena discussion there by all means keep knocking yourself out.

The post above mine from a Coyotes poster referenced the alternate plan, which has been commented about this thread multiple times. Thanks for the essay though.

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022

Why do you keep saying much bigger? Did you make it to long division in middle school?

Pound per pound Canada is generating radically more television revenue, hockey is radically more popular, and that's if you're grouping in Minnesota/Mass/Michigan/NewYork into the picture, which has a population nearly twice Canada's population, and a somewhat comparable level of interest. The Sunbelt in comparison generates far less money, it's a very reasonable conclusion that Canadians create about 20 times the revenue per million people.

It's very very easy to argue a small town of 200,000 people in rural Canada is creating more money for the league currently, than the entire city of Houston.

With a second team it's very reasonable to think Quebec as a province might create more money for the league, than Texas/Louisana/Georgia/Virginia/Oaklahoma combined.

It isn't rocket science, you have a pie split 6 or 7 ways. And these slices of the pie are not split evenly. Hockey is very much the runt of the litter in Texas. The Dallas Cowboys alone are worth more than every southern team combined.

2-3% of the sports market in Houston may currently be the NHL. With a team that number might shoot up to 5%, maybe in 20 years, it might shoot up to 10% but that's in the scenario where the team starts winning multiple cups and hockey has gone mainstream in America. If you're waiting for hockey to go mainstream, you might as well just wait until it does and then add a team.

Reactions: Fatass

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
It isn't rocket science, you have a pie split 6 or 7 ways. And these slices of the pie are not split evenly. Hockey is very much the runt of the litter in Texas. The Dallas Cowboys alone are worth more than every southern team combined.

The Cowboys are also worth almost as much the seven Canadian NHL teams.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
STArs lining up for COyotes.
1- Young players on the rise.
2- New rink.
3- Matthews a UFA.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Sure and that's sort of the point, we don't have a Dallas Cowboys in Canada. There's minimal competition from the big 3.

Hockey is limited in growth if you keep sticking teams in Canadian small markets. Also, rogers lost money on their NHL deal so it's not like the tv market isn't already tapped out here. You're one of those Quebec fans that have an agenda to get a team without realizing the NHL's agenda is growth which is in the US and global.

I for one don't think the NHL even needs a team in markets like Winnipeg, Ottawa or Edmonton. Those markets make the league smaller in stature even if they have rabid fans at times and face no competition from other leagues. There is a reason other leagues are not in those markets.

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022
Hockey is limited in growth if you keep sticking teams in Canadian small markets.
Hockey is limited in growth because of the Big 3 plus Soccer. Almost all of the leagues big successes has been in the smaller markets like Vegas/Nashville.

I get people like to imagine hockey going on a cinderella run and becoming the top dog in half a decade but it hasn't.

Also, rogers lost money on their NHL deal so it's not like the tv market isn't already tapped out here. You're one of those Quebec fans that have an agenda to get a team without realizing the NHL's agenda is growth which is in the US and global.

This is exactly why you want to pump up the rogers contract with an additional team. Arizona has minimal effect on the current US deal, QC could be the difference maker in the North.

I for one don't think the NHL even needs a team in markets like Winnipeg, Ottawa or Edmonton. Those markets make the league smaller in stature even if they have rabid fans at times and face no competition from other leagues.
So you complain about Rogers losing money and say this in the following sentence?

There is a reason other leagues are not in those markets.

Because they have total dominance in most large markets, your arguing against yourself.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hockey is limited in growth if you keep sticking teams in Canadian small markets. Also, rogers lost money on their NHL deal so it's not like the tv market isn't already tapped out here. You're one of those Quebec fans that have an agenda to get a team without realizing the NHL's agenda is growth which is in the US and global.

I for one don't think the NHL even needs a team in markets like Winnipeg, Ottawa or Edmonton. Those markets make the league smaller in stature even if they have rabid fans at times and face no competition from other leagues. There is a reason other leagues are not in those markets.
by other leagues you mean the nba, then you need to accept there are very few fans in those cities for that league. THe Tempe area has a lot of people. they have few hockey fans. Similar.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
by other leagues you mean the nba, then you need to accept there are very few fans in those cities for that league. THe Tempe area has a lot of people. they have few hockey fans. Similar.

Lol right because leagues just start off with fans. They said the same thing about Toronto and now look. The real reason they aren't there is because the markets are not attractive.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Lol right because leagues just start off with fans. They said the same thing about Toronto and now look. The real reason they aren't there is because the markets are not attractive.
Heh, do some of the Toronto people here bristle at immigrant kids running around in hoodies that say "We The North"? That's what I picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad