CXLII - Coyotes agree to play at ASU with $20m annex for next three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Wouldn’t you also ask for the money up front given the coyotes recent track record of late payments and “employee errors”?

Always a possibility. And on this site people tend to grab hold of the easiest thing. :D

But as already explained in the previous thread. It may also have been a prerequisite from the contractor building the arena, because of the change order needed to add onto the existing plan.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Congrats for having a planed home before new facility built.

(How much with NHLPA complain about HRR impact?)

Interesting that the larger font and the first line of their tweet is Tempe. Not ASU who the agreement is with...not the East Valley which reaches a larger segment on fanbase they've seen saying that they want to move closer too

Though geographically accurate, the messaging shows which ball the court is in. The wording is very intentional

Reactions: Llama19

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't get why some people are celebrating this as this was only one of the giant steps that need to happen. The bigger issue is actually having an NHL arena to play in. Does the announcement with ASU actually lock them in for the next 3-4 years or whatever it is? Completely my opinion but no, it doesn't. Whether it's an actual out clause that's built in to the agreement, or simply telling ASU to screw off and paying whatever is left to pay on the lease, this does absolutely nothing in the big picture. It just means they're not completely homeless in the Arizona market as of next year.

Oh, and the whole several hundred million dollars of debt they already have and will continue to add to by playing in arena that holds less than some or all Major Junior and NCAA teams.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I don't get why some people are celebrating this as this was only one of the giant steps that need to happen

Well, for starters, it does silence the "they have to move now if they don't have a place to play in AZ this fall" people. Because they have a place to play this fall. And the next one, and the next one,...like someone in another forum said, some of you will be up to 15 years wasting your life on here waiting for something to happen that never was going to happen, sooo.....

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm still convinced that this is personal for Bettman and no other team would have been allowed to play in such a place.

But hey, for whatever the optics are, Coyotes fans are going to have a lot of fun in that building for the next little while.

Small barn + full house = loud and raucous.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
My earlier prediction was that they will be in the same situation this time next year. Playing at ASU while still trying to hammer out an agreement for Tempe

it's going to be easily 6-10 years there. Once I heard AM has a construction company, it's so obvious. AM now owns Gary Bettman forever.

Absolutely no rush on things now.

Reactions: Rob and Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Statement from the NHLPA…

8724673D-6C1C-4E84-92A6-E5F5EBB9E8D1.jpeg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
This is interesting and I feel will finally put the pressure on the league.

While NHLPA cannot do much, they will be talking about it every year until the new arena is done.

If Murelo manages to get a new arena in the region he wins, if he doesn’t he can move or sell.

But this sets a precedent for the league and can open a nasty pandera box.

Imagine Calgary who wants a new arena, why couldn’t they get an 8-10k one for much cheaper than a classic 18-20k one. Heck that would help them drive ticket prices up.

There would need to be some math but it’s not hard to study a market with history and figure out at what price can you make as much money in a 10000 seats arena than in a 18000 one. Lower the availability, increase demand, increase prices and naturally you end up doing the same or better money than before.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
This is interesting and I feel will finally put the pressure on the league.

While NHLPA cannot do much, they will be talking about it every year until the new arena is done.

If Murelo manages to get a new arena in the region he wins, if he doesn’t he can move or sell.

But this sets a precedent for the league and can open a nasty pandera box.

Imagine Calgary who wants a new arena, why couldn’t they get an 8-10k one for much cheaper than a classic 18-20k one. Heck that would help them drive ticket prices up.

There would need to be some math but it’s not hard to study a market with history and figure out at what price can you make as much money in a 10000 seats arena than in a 18000 one. Lower the availability, increase demand, increase prices and naturally you end up doing the same or better money than before.

&ou do have that with baseball stadiums the last 20 years or so. Granted a lot of them”cookie cutter” stadiums built in the 1960s-70s were dual purpose baseball-football. But even so the trend has been to reduce the capacity to about 35-40,000. Yankee Stadium I, built in 1923, which could some 73,000 and up to 81,000 with standing room and wasn’t really built for football that I know of (the Giants, just starting, played in the Polo Grounds until the 1950s)l
Of course when the Flames first moved to Calgary 40 years ago they played in an arena that held 6,500. A couple years earlier the NBA Nets played at Rutgers that held 8,000. But both of those had arenas on the way. But my understanding this is contingent on stiffing the taxpayers for an arena (best use of money if you ask me).
Meanwhile this Sunday we can watch the CTE bowl with one team that in 80 years has gone from Cleveland to Los Angeles to Anaheim to St Louis and back to Los Angeles. Too bad Cincinnati has been stable since its founding in 968; I would have preferred the Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland-Las Vegas Raiders

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
&ou do have that with baseball stadiums the last 20 years or so. Granted a lot of them”cookie cutter” stadiums built in the 1960s-70s were dual purpose baseball-football. But even so the trend has been to reduce the capacity to about 35-40,000. Yankee Stadium I, built in 1923, which could some 73,000 and up to 81,000 with standing room and wasn’t really built for football that I know of (the Giants, just starting, played in the Polo Grounds until the 1950s)l
Of course when the Flames first moved to Calgary 40 years ago they played in an arena that held 6,500. A couple years earlier the NBA Nets played at Rutgers that held 8,000. But both of those had arenas on the way. But my understanding this is contingent on stiffing the taxpayers for an arena (best use of money if you ask me).
Meanwhile this Sunday we can watch the CTE bowl with one team that in 80 years has gone from Cleveland to Los Angeles to Anaheim to St Louis and back to Los Angeles. Too bad Cincinnati has been stable since its founding in 968; I would have preferred the Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland-Las Vegas Raiders

Stiffing the tax payers? And how do you know the tax payers are paying for it when none of us has read the proposal fully.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
REALLY c'mon this reeks of desperation by the NHL. to keep a failed franchise in market that no one cares about & it would not surprise me in the least that they can't fill a 5000 seat arena & this go to show you that Gary Bettman & most of the NHL. BOG. has turned a once proud & strong league into a laughing stock of the sports world .

May I add this I did some research & I found out that the NHL. only has 5 teams in the top 100 most valuable sports franchises in the world & all 5 teams are at the tale end of that list .

Also lets look at least most valuable franchises by league.
NHL.- Coyotes 285 million
NBA. - Grizzlies 1.3 billion
NFL. - Bills 2.27 billion
MLB.- Marlins 990 million
Soccer -Ajax Amsterdam - 469 million
MLS - Colorado Rapids - 368 million
Boy dose this list must make the NHL. look stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad