Current players that are worthy of being in the HHOF

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I see people mentioning Olympic contributions. Does that or should it have any bearing on if a player makes the HHOF? Shouldn't it be based on what they did in the NHL and the NHL alone? If Olympic contributions do matter, shouldn't there be a bunch of Russians in the HHOF because of their contributions to hockey?

The reason I ask is I've never actually thought about it from that perspective, I've always thought it was based on ones play in the NHL.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
I see people mentioning Olympic contributions. Does that or should it have any bearing on if a player makes the HHOF? Shouldn't it be based on what they did in the NHL and the NHL alone? If Olympic contributions do matter, shouldn't there be a bunch of Russians in the HHOF because of their contributions to hockey?

The reason I ask is I've never actually thought about it from that perspective, I've always thought it was based on ones play in the NHL.

It's the HOCKEY hall of fame not the NHL hall of fame. Though to be fair it is 99% NHL'ers in there.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
about a 20 year player pool means a lot of players

I mean the calibre of players being suggested more than the sheer number.

I guess I just prefer seeing it kept a small, truly best of the best bunch who are inducted in. Some of the names being thrown around here I either can't see ever getting in or its just way too early to be having that discussion.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
No Martin Brodeur? No Zdeno Chara? No Malkin? I put all of these players as better players + career than iginla or st. louis

The title of the thread says CURRENT players, so Broduer is ruled out.

St. Louis has more trophies than Malkin (and Malkin will probably get in). Chara I overlooked.

torlev*

Yeah imagine if they had guys like tretiak and kharlamov in the HOF. That would be ridiculous.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
For the Rangers as of right now I can see Lundqvist, St. Louis, and Nash (everyone else it's too early in their careers imo). Lundqvist and St. Louis are self explanatory.

Nash, if he averages about 30 goals and 50 points for just the next 5 years that'll put him over 500 goals and about 50 points short of 1000 at 35 years old. Along with his Olympic record and if he wins a Cup, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Brodeur, Iginla and Jagr are all but guaranteed. The rest I feel are debatable, guys like Ovi and Crosby may have their careers totally come off the rails (highly unlikely) so I'll leave them off for now.

Ovechkin could retire next year and still have a very strong chance of making it...

Assuming he could score 25 goals, he'd have 500 goals, 3 harts, a calder, 5 richards, an art ross, 3 ted lindseys, 3 WC gold medals and been a first team all-star 6 times at the age of 30.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm on the side of making the HHOF harder to get in, to many very good players are already in there. Big no to guys like Nash or Bergeron who never near the best Forwards in the game, if you can't even make the all star teams a few times in your career you shouldn't even be considered, with exceptions to some years with stacked positions obviously.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If anyone says Rick Nash just ask yourself if Thomas Vanek belongs in the HoF because they score about the same (the answer is no).

I think Vinny is a lock for the HoF. Lundqvist as well (best current goalie).....

Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovie etc etc.... will all go in at one point

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
For the Rangers as of right now I can see Lundqvist, St. Louis, and Nash (everyone else it's too early in their careers imo). Lundqvist and St. Louis are self explanatory.

Nash, if he averages about 30 goals and 50 points for just the next 5 years that'll put him over 500 goals and about 50 points short of 1000 at 35 years old. Along with his Olympic record and if he wins a Cup, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I doubt Nash gets in. Aside from one or two years in his career, he hasn't really been an elite player. Things look pretty bad for him when you look at his competition today, as well as some guys who aren't in the hall yet who should be.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Ovechkin could retire next year and still have a very strong chance of making it...

Assuming he could score 25 goals, he'd have 500 goals, 3 harts, a calder, 5 richards, an art ross, 3 ted lindseys, 3 WC gold medals and been a first team all-star 6 times at the age of 30.

Ovechkin is a lock already because of his hardware and number of 50 goal seasons. There is no questions about it. He is arguably the best player of this generation (duking it out with Sid).

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I doubt Nash gets in. Aside from one or two years in his career, he hasn't really been an elite player. Things look pretty bad for him when you look at his competition today, as well as some guys who aren't in the hall yet who should be.

Yeah, I get what your saying. I just think it's a possibilty, however slight.

Had he kept pace and won the Richard this year, it would have gone a long way.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

It is the hockey hall of fame not the NHL hall of fame. Everything from a players playing career is considered. Some things do have more importance then others. Vladislav Tretiak is in the hockey hall of fame and he never played in the NHL

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I really don't see why Elias should make it. He's been a very good player. Not HHOF worthy, though.

That'd be watering down the honor quite a bit in my opinion.

Several people on the history board agree he should be in, and they do a great job at making a strong case for him.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey

Ovechkin could retire yesterday and he'd be a stone cold lock.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hf just wants everyone in the hall, I swear.
Considering some players on the list I made won't retire in the next decade, the list looks big but that's a time span of like 1990-2030 for the pool of players so let's not pretend that it's crazy to put so many names.

I don't see Nash making it. Never was really part of the elite aside of one or two seasons. His stats in the playoffs and the olympics are underwhelming too. It's nice to win some Gold medals but if you're not a key contributor, it's not worth much.

I'm on the side of making the HHOF harder to get in, to many very good players are already in there. Big no to guys like Nash or Bergeron who never near the best Forwards in the game, if you can't even make the all star teams a few times in your career you shouldn't even be considered, with exceptions to some years with stacked positions obviously.
I've never seen Gainey play but if he's in the HHOF, I don't think it's that crazy to throw Bergeron's name in the mix.

Bill_Crosby*

I'm not counting young guys that could boost their resumes in the next ten years (Toews, Kane, etc..). Looking at guys at the tail ends or could retire now and make it. Also not exactly "current" players but also includes guys that have recently retired.

For Sure
  • Pronger
  • Brodeur
  • Crosby
  • Ovechkin
  • Thornton
  • Chara
  • Malkin
  • Jagr
  • Iggy
  • Selanne
  • Datsyuk

Possible (Depends on the year)
  • St. Louis
  • Hossa
  • Alfredson
  • Zetterberg

Maybe but unlikely
  • Elias
  • Doan
  • Koivu

Last edited by a moderator:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I really don't see why Elias should make it. He's been a very good player. Not HHOF worthy, though.

That'd be watering down the honor quite a bit in my opinion.

Elias wouldn't even be close to the worst player in the Hall. He's got over 1000 points, an excellent peak where he was without a doubt a top-3 player at his position, lead a decade in playoff scoring, won two Cups (as the leading scorer both times), and did so on a team where his offensive numbers were significantly deflated by both team and Dead Puck Era bias.

He compares favorably to Hossa and Alfredsson (he did as much as they did with much less help IMO), both of who will probably get in.

I've made a more extensive argument here comparing him to other notable players of the 2000's.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Hall of very good: Patrick Marleau, Vincent Lecavalier, Ray Whitney, Sergei Gonchar, Patrick Elias, Marian Gaborik, Shane Doan, Dan Boyle, Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Eric Staal, Alex Tanguay, Roberto Luongo, Phil Kessel, Rick Nash, Kimmo Timonen, Andrei Markov, Evgeni Nabokov, Ryan Miller,

HHOF worthy: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Martin St. Louis, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton, Martin Brodeur, Jaromir Jagr, Marian Hossa, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Zdeno Chara, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron.

Debatable: Tim Thomas, Henrik Lundqvist, Anze Kopitar, Nicklas Backstrom, Jonathan Quick, Henrik & Daniel Sedin, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf (winning the Cup this year would help them tremendously), PK Subban, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Carey Price, Claude Giroux & John Tavares (will both need some top 3 finishes down the stretch to make a case for themselves).

Agree/disagree?

So the guy with a Cup, gold medal and who will finish 2nd or 3rd in wins isn't even mentioned? Sounds about right.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Elias wouldn't even be close to the worst player in the Hall. He's got over 1000 points, an excellent peak where he was without a doubt a top-3 player at his position, lead a decade in playoff scoring, won two Cups (as the leading scorer both times), and did so on a team where his offensive numbers were significantly deflated by both team and Dead Puck Era bias.

He compares favorably to Hossa and Alfredsson (he did as much as they did with much less help IMO), both of who will probably get in.

I've made a more extensive argument here comparing him to other notable players of the 2000's.
Good post, I'd change my stance after reading that. You make some fair and rational arguments.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I think Lundquist and Getzlaf will get in aswell! Getzlaf is as dominant as u can be when he is on the ice in 2015 nhl. Controls everything when he is on the ice. Puts up great points both in the playoff and reg season, has 2 olympic golds, won a cup and is only 30. 5 more years with the same play and production he will be in! Lundquist will be in. Great playoff numbers, best goalie in the league the last 10 years, won olympic gold, only thing he is missing is a cup and to be fair its not his play that has stopped him from winning it. Lack of offensive production from his team in the playoffs the last 5 years is why he hasnt won it yet and it looks like that will be the reason for him not winning this year either!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad