Current players that are worthy of being in the HHOF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
you say perry and getzlaf will benefit from a stanley cup but what about doughty?
yes i know he isnt in the playoffs this year but

He is a two-time Stanley Cup champion with the Kings from the 2011–12 NHL season and the 2013–14 NHL season, two-time Olympic gold medalist with the Canadian national team at Vancouver 2010 and Sochi 2014, 2008 World Junior Championship gold medalist
2 norris nominations before age 25
Doughty's problem is definitely not his resume in terms of championships he's played a part of but his resume among his peers and his performances during the RS. We've seen how he can elevate his game during the playoffs. This season was probably his best one thus far in terms of dominance but he needs to keep it up and maybe earn himself a Norris for him to become a lock in my mind. Even Perry who has a Hart & a Rocket Richard is not a lock in my mind but winning another Cup in his case would validate the thought that he's HHOF worthy IMO.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Sedins are hall of famers. The chances we see twins this good ever again are slim to none.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Already a for sure lock: Alexander Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla, Martin St. Louis, Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, Henrik Lundqvist, Jaromir Jagr, Pavel Datsyuk

Possibly: Duncan Keith, Henrik Zetterberg, Roberto Luongo, Tim Thomas, Sedin twins

On their way to making it: Erik Karlsson, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Jonathan Quick, Carey Price, Steven Stamkos

I might have missed people, I'm just drawing a blank right now.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Brodeur, Jagr, OV and Crosby are locked to get in as first ballot. Even if they retire tomorrow.

Malkin needs a little bit more to get in on the first ballot. Maybe 1 or 2 pieces of hardware, or hitting some major milestones.. 1200 points would make him the highest scoring Russian of all time, and I could definitely see him hitting it.

Iginla isn't likely a first ballot, but he will get in eventually. Same with the Sedins, St.Louis, Thornton, and Chara.

Pretty much any consistent player who wins the Hart will get in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Memorial_Trophy#Winners

A Hart Trophy winner needs to have their career completely CRATER to not be a HHOF lock.
- Theodore derailed completely.
- Lindros derailed as well, but might get in anyways
- Fedorov will get in.

Same **could** be said about Art Ross winners, but the trophy was only won by 3 players for 20+ years.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Already a for sure lock: Alexander Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla, Martin St. Louis, Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, Henrik Lundqvist, Jaromir Jagr, Pavel Datsyuk

Possibly: Duncan Keith, Henrik Zetterberg, Roberto Luongo, Tim Thomas, Sedin twins

On their way to making it: Erik Karlsson, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Jonathan Quick, Carey Price, Steven Stamkos

I might have missed people, I'm just drawing a blank right now.

giroux, backstrom, subban, tavares, broduer,

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Brodeur, OV and Crosby are locked to get in as first ballot. Even if they retire tomorrow.

Malkin needs a little bit more to get in on the first ballot. Maybe 1 or 2 pieces of hardware, or hitting some major milestones.. 1200 points would make him the highest scoring Russian of all time, and I could definitely see him hitting it.

Iginla isn't likely a first ballot, but he will get in eventually. Same with the Sedins, St.Louis, Thornton, and Chara.

unless ovechkin stays ahead

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I think Brodeur, Iginla and Jagr are all but guaranteed. The rest I feel are debatable, guys like Ovi and Crosby may have their careers totally come off the rails (highly unlikely) so I'll leave them off for now.

At this point it shouldn't matter what Crosby and Ovechkin do

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Brodeur, Jagr, OV and Crosby are locked to get in as first ballot. Even if they retire tomorrow.

Pretty much any consistent player who wins the Hart will get in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Memorial_Trophy#Winners

A Hart Trophy winner needs to have their career completely CRATER to not be a HHOF lock.
- Theodore derailed completely.
- Lindros derailed as well, but might get in anyways
- Fedorov will get in.

Same **could** be said about Art Ross winners, but the trophy was only won by 3 players for 20+ years.
So by that logic, Perry should be a lock (barring a Heatley-esque regression)?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Elias will be in the Hall. Not first ballot, but he's the kind of guy the veteran committee will go bananas over.

And quite frankly, he deserves it.

torlev*

Hall of very good: Patrick Marleau, Vincent Lecavalier, Ray Whitney, Sergei Gonchar, Patrick Elias, Marian Gaborik, Shane Doan, Dan Boyle, Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Eric Staal, Alex Tanguay, Roberto Luongo, Phil Kessel, Rick Nash, Kimmo Timonen, Andrei Markov, Evgeni Nabokov, Ryan Miller,

HHOF worthy: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Martin St. Louis, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton, Martin Brodeur, Jaromir Jagr, Marian Hossa, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Zdeno Chara, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron.

Debatable: Tim Thomas, Henrik Lundqvist, Anze Kopitar, Nicklas Backstrom, Jonathan Quick, Henrik & Daniel Sedin, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf (winning the Cup this year would help them tremendously), PK Subban, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Carey Price, Claude Giroux & John Tavares (will both need some top 3 finishes down the stretch to make a case for themselves).

Agree/disagree?

Bolded not nearly enough to be in the Hall. How do you put Karlsson, at this point in his career, when Weber has been the better dman for far longer? that makes no sense.

Lunqvist should be in. Sedins - Yes. Getzlaf for sure. Subban, Doughty, Price, Giroux, Tavares - way too early. Way, way, way too early.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
how tf can Bergeron be a lock why the Sedins are just possibilities.
International resume, defensive game and a pretty good offensive game to boot. I'll admit that my bias might have shown and Bergeron should be more in the debatable category but I gotta make things interesting to generation conversation ;)

Elias will be in the Hall. Not first ballot, but he's the kind of guy the veteran committee will go bananas over.

It's an intriguing case but I don't know. He has the Cups and a relatively solid but quiet career a la Whitney. My grip is that he was never seen as a top guy during his career. Star forward but not part of the elite group like Jumbo Joe or Iginla. Pretty comparable to Tanguay too.

Bolded not nearly enough to be in the Hall. How do you put Karlsson, at this point in his career, when Weber has been the better dman for far longer? that makes no sense.

Lunqvist should be in. Sedins - Yes. Getzlaf for sure. Subban, Doughty, Price, Giroux, Tavares - way too early. Way, way, way too early.
If Karlsson had career ending injury (not wishing it or anything), I think he'd enter the HHOF at one point because of his extraordinary production for a defenseman especially in this era. He has game breaking talent and certainly exploits it. Weber is kind of in the same shoes as Brad Park, he's in the shadow of some defenseman who just eclipse him by having one amazing season but he's probably been the most consistent defenseman since Lidstrom retired. He's arguably in the top three and the defenseman I'd pick if I were to start a team from scratch but he doesn't have a Norris so far. Plus this year, Josi outshone him. And yeah I agree with the rest that it's way to early but that's why I put them there because they have a decent shot at it.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I really don't see why Elias should make it. He's been a very good player. Not HHOF worthy, though.

That'd be watering down the honor quite a bit in my opinion.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
Hall of very good: Patrick Marleau, Vincent Lecavalier, Ray Whitney, Sergei Gonchar, Patrick Elias, Marian Gaborik, Shane Doan, Dan Boyle, Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Eric Staal, Alex Tanguay, Roberto Luongo, Phil Kessel, Rick Nash, Kimmo Timonen, Andrei Markov, Evgeni Nabokov, Ryan Miller,

HHOF worthy: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Martin St. Louis, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton, Martin Brodeur, Jaromir Jagr, Marian Hossa, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Zdeno Chara, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron.

Debatable: Tim Thomas, Henrik Lundqvist, Anze Kopitar, Nicklas Backstrom, Jonathan Quick, Henrik & Daniel Sedin, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf (winning the Cup this year would help them tremendously), PK Subban, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Carey Price, Claude Giroux & John Tavares (will both need some top 3 finishes down the stretch to make a case for themselves).

Agree/disagree?

Bold=should be higher (i.e. very good->debatable, debatable->HHOF worthy), underlined=should be lower (worthy->debatable, debatable->very good).

These are of course subjective.

A lot of them are stuck in the grey area of "too soon to tell" such as Karlsson, Subban, Price, Weber, Doughty, Tavares, Kane, Toews etc.

Marleau is debatable for me because he has the "iron man" thing going for him, misses very few games, had a few elite seasons.

Elias was a top 3 player for a (very) short period of time and was the best forward on the almost-dynasty Devils for a while too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad