Current players that are worthy of being in the HHOF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hall of very good: Patrick Marleau, Vincent Lecavalier, Ray Whitney, Sergei Gonchar, Patrick Elias, Marian Gaborik, Shane Doan, Dan Boyle, Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Eric Staal, Alex Tanguay, Roberto Luongo, Phil Kessel, Rick Nash, Kimmo Timonen, Andrei Markov, Evgeni Nabokov, Ryan Miller,

HHOF worthy: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Martin St. Louis, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton, Martin Brodeur, Jaromir Jagr, Marian Hossa, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Zdeno Chara, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron.

Debatable: Tim Thomas, Henrik Lundqvist, Anze Kopitar, Nicklas Backstrom, Jonathan Quick, Henrik & Daniel Sedin, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf (winning the Cup this year would help them tremendously), PK Subban, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Carey Price, Claude Giroux & John Tavares (will both need some top 3 finishes down the stretch to make a case for themselves).

Agree/disagree?

Last edited:

BacksInTheSaddle

Feb 6, 2014
Saskatchewan
I think Brodeur, Iginla and Jagr are all but guaranteed. The rest I feel are debatable, guys like Ovi and Crosby may have their careers totally come off the rails (highly unlikely) so I'll leave them off for now.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Im curious. How is karrlson a worthy already? Not hating as he is a great player but already? But guys like backstrom, subban, perry, Giroux etc arent?

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I think Brodeur, Iginla and Jagr are all but guaranteed. The rest I feel are debatable, guys like Ovi and Crosby may have their careers totally come off the rails (highly unlikely) so I'll leave them off for now.

I agree. Though Thornton is probably going to be an addition to the 1000 ASSIST CLUB. That is really an impressive feat.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Also when I see the list above with Jagr and Brodeur being mentioned with Bergeron, the gap is large.

Randomtask68

Jul 19, 2010
Burlington, MA
Not so sure on Bergeron, I would be more inclined to place him on the hall of very good list. He's obviously one of the top defensive forwards in the league and has been for the past few years but I don't know if he will finish with enough points to warrant induction. He turns 30 in July and had 206 goals and 550 points, which is pretty solid considering he missed a full season due to the 2005 lockout and essentially the entire 2007-08 season due to his concussion.

SuddenDeathOvertime

#FreeJohnScott
Sep 30, 2014

You missed Thornton in the guaranteed list.

And if Crosby, Ovechkin or even Malkin retired right now, I think they would all would be in the HOF. So much hardware.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Im curious. How is karrlson a worthy already? Not hating as he is a great player but already? But guys like backstrom, subban, perry, Giroux etc arent?

Because he's putting up numbers that would be impressive for a forward in today's era. He's Mike Green minus the stacked team and just a better player all around IMO. I'm not his biggest fan but I think the things he's done so far are HHOF worthy. As pointed out by others, of course a lot can change over the years (hell I'm sure people had Heatley penciled for the hall of fame in 2010) but if his production doesn't regress a whole lot, he'll be in IMO.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hall of very good: Patrick Marleau, Vincent Lecavalier, Ray Whitney, Sergei Gonchar, Patrick Elias, Marian Gaborik, Shane Doan, Dan Boyle, Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Eric Staal, Alex Tanguay, Roberto Luongo, Phil Kessel, Rick Nash, Kimmo Timonen, Andrei Markov, Evgeni Nabokov, Ryan Miller,

HHOF worthy: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Martin St. Louis, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton, Martin Brodeur, Jaromir Jagr, Marian Hossa, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Zdeno Chara, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron.

Debatable: Tim Thomas, Anze Kopitar, Nicklas Backstrom, Jonathan Quick, Henrik & Daniel Sedin, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf (winning the Cup this year would help them tremendously), PK Subban, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Carey Price, Claude Giroux & John Tavares (will both need some top 3 finishes down the stretch to make a case for themselves).

Agree/disagree?

Not entirely sold on Karlsson and Bergeron as HHOF as of right now, they still need to prove a little more. Karlsson, if he can stay consistent will make it. Bergeron is probably one of the best 2 way forwards, but he just hasn't dominated the game like you would expect from a HOF.

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm

I wouldn't call him HOF-worthy yet myself but...

He's lead the league in scoring for defensemen 3 of 4 years. Can't really fault him for the year he missed. Fastest defenseman to 300pts in a very long time. Already has a Norris with one more possibly coming this year.

That would put him on a short list with really big names on it.

All in all, he is definately ahead of Backstrom, Giroux, Perry and Subban when you factor in age. Having said that; If Subban wins his second Norris, he might take that place instead for now.

Both are young and have 10+ years of hockey to play still.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Also when I see the list above with Jagr and Brodeur being mentioned with Bergeron, the gap is large.

Not so sure on Bergeron, I would be more inclined to place him on the hall of very good list. He's obviously one of the top defensive forwards in the league and has been for the past few years but I don't know if he will finish with enough points to warrant induction. He turns 30 in July and had 206 goals and 550 points, which is pretty solid considering he missed a full season due to the 2005 lockout and essentially the entire 2007-08 season due to his concussion.

Yeah that was definitely one of the guys where I was sure would generate some sort of reaction. I'll admit that although I'm a Habs fan, I have nothing but respect for the guy and he's probably one of my favorite players in the league. In his case I think you have to look at his international resume and his defensive game. His PPG (0.74) is certainly inferior to most players on the Hall of Very Good list but unlike most of those guys, he never got the minutes that they played.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Not entirely sold on Karlsson and Bergeron as HHOF as of right now, they still need to prove a little more. Karlsson, if he can stay consistent will make it. Bergeron is probably one of the best 2 way forwards, but he just hasn't dominated the game like you would expect from a HOF.

I think the best way to decide if Erik Karlsson is HOF worthy right now is if he had to retire from hockey this off season, I would say no, he would not get in. He's 24. But if we extrapolate and look at his career trajectory, barring some catastrophic drop off, in another 5 to 10 years he will be a lock.

I'm not sold on Bergeron either to be honest. If Doughty can continue his elite play, I can see him making it.

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Here is my list of active players who I would induct regardless of what happens in the rest of their careers:

Zdeno Chara, Sidney Crosby, Pavel Datsyuk, Sergei Gonchar, Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Jaromir Jagr, Duncan Keith, Ilya Kovalchuk, Roberto Luongo, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Martin St Louis, Tim Thomas (is he active), Joe Thornton

Others are not there yet or perhaps never will be.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I wouldn't call him HOF-worthy yet myself but...

He's lead the league in scoring for defensemen 3 of 4 years. Can't really fault him for the year he missed. Fastest defenseman to 300pts in a very long time. Already has a Norris with one more possibly coming this year.

That would put him on a short list with really big names on it.

All in all, he is definately ahead of Backstrom, Giroux, Perry and Subban when you factor in age. Having said that; If Subban wins his second Norris, he might take that place instead for now.

Both are young and have 10+ years of hockey to play still.

ah ok :) im on the side of can he keep it up for a few more years, then i make my decision. of course if he wins the second norris then he definitely jumps to the worthy.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Here is my list of active players who I would induct regardless of what happens in the rest of their careers:

Zdeno Chara, Sidney Crosby, Pavel Datsyuk, Sergei Gonchar, Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Jaromir Jagr, Duncan Keith, Ilya Kovalchuk, Roberto Luongo, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Martin St Louis, Tim Thomas (is he active), Joe Thornton

Others are not there yet or perhaps never will be.
Can I hear your arguments for Gonchar and Luongo? I'd be curious.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I totally forgot about Gonchar. No golden hardware, but 811 points is pretty darn good. He has obviously regressed in the last 5-6 years, but he's an interesting case. How instrumental was he in the Pens 09 cup win?

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Luongo is going to retire in 4th-6th place in the all-time wins list and has the right media reputation. He is going in. The Sedins will go in as well, half because they did in fact earn Art Rosses and Hart trophies, and part because the whole twin thing is such a novel story. Even if they didn't win Cups, they were part of a notable run and were part of a consistently dominant team at the time. They should be included in the Gil Perreault and Bernie Federko tier.

As long as Quick doesn't drastically destroy his reputation in the next few, he's already punched his ticket. You don't win a Smythe and two Cups as a starter in this era and not go in. The only goalie playing right now who has won two Cups as a starter is Jonathan Quick.

I totally forgot about Gonchar. No golden hardware, but 811 points is pretty darn good. He has obviously regressed the last 5-6 years, but he's an interesting case. How instrumental was he in the Pens 09 cup win?
In 2008, Gonchar was absolutely crucial for the Penguins, and I believe he finished 4th in Norris voting. In 2009, he got hurt early in the year and it kind of permanently took a degree off his play, he took a bad knee by Ovechkin in the Washington series, but he battled through.

Honestly, the most important dmen during that Penguins 09 run were Gill and Scuderi, because refs don't call holding in the playoffs.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I totally forgot about Gonchar. No golden hardware, but 811 points is pretty darn good. He has obviously regressed in the last 5-6 years, but he's an interesting case. How instrumental was he in the Pens 09 cup win?

I have a guy like Gonchar in the same tier as guys like Markov and Timonen. Obviously Gonchar outclasses them in points but you can make a case that the last two never played with the same talent as Gonchar.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I have a guy like Gonchar in the same tier as guys like Markov and Timonen. Obviously Gonchar outclasses them in points but you can make a case that the last two never played with the same talent as Gonchar.

But here is where it gets tricky. Zubov has similar statistics to Gonchar. He was similiar in a lot of categories. Zubov is not in the hall of fame.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
But here is where it gets tricky. Zubov has similar statistics to Gonchar. He was similiar in a lot of categories. Zubov is not in the hall of fame.

They have similar awards as well.

Gonchar

Played in the NHL All-Star Game in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2008
Named to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 2001 and 2003
Won the Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009.

Zubov

Member of two Stanley Cup winning teams: 1994 with the New York Rangers and 1999 with the Dallas Stars
Selected to four NHL All-Star Games: 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2008
Named to the Second NHL All-Star Team in 2006

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Luongo is going to retire in 4th-6th place in the all-time wins list and has the right media reputation. He is going in. The Sedins will go in as well, half because they did in fact earn Art Rosses and Hart trophies, and part because the whole twin thing is such a novel story. Even if they didn't win Cups, they were part of a notable run and were part of a dominant team at the time.

As long as Quick doesn't drastically destroy his reputation in the next few, he's already punched his ticket. You don't win a Smythe and two Cups as a starter in this era and not go in. The only goalie playing right now who has won two Cups as a starter is Jonathan Quick.

In 2008, Gonchar was absolutely crucial for the Penguins, and I believe he finished 4th in Norris voting. In 2009, he got hurt early in the year and it kind of permanently took a degree off his play, he took a bad knee by Ovechkin in the Washington series, but he battled through.

Honestly, the most important dmen during that Penguins 09 run were Gill and Scuderi, because refs don't call holding in the playoffs.
You make some good arguments on all of those guys. You're probably right on Luongo making it although he doesn't have the same hardware as some of the guys on the debatable list I made. The Sedins are an interesting case, unlike Hossa/Datsyuk/Zetterberg they can make a case as being the best players at their position on the planet at one point but their PPG hurts them I find. I understand most of that is due to their first seasons in the NHL but it might play a factor in them not making it in. But you do have a valid point about the whole twin novelty and uniqueness.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
you say perry and getzlaf will benefit from a stanley cup but what about doughty?
yes i know he isnt in the playoffs this year but

He is a two-time Stanley Cup champion with the Kings from the 2011–12 NHL season and the 2013–14 NHL season, two-time Olympic gold medalist with the Canadian national team at Vancouver 2010 and Sochi 2014, 2008 World Junior Championship gold medalist
2 norris nominations before age 25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad