TSN: CSKA GM Fedorov says Zaitsev will join Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I just want Zaitsev wrapped up, he potentially fills a huge need. Though I am skeptical of Russian D considering how atrocious their recent track record has been.

As for Babcock, I remember going to sleep fully expecting him to go to Buffalo, woke up to the Buffalo board in full meltdown and us the victors. It was a great turn of events.

We could walk away with two NHL ready players in their early twenties this summer who fill major needs, Zaitsev as a RHD and Vesey as a skilled forward with size, without giving up anything to acquire them.

I haven't got my hopes up with Vesey, but I've sort of taken it for granted we'll get Zaitsev based on all the speculation; it would be a little bit of a blow for me if we don't sign him at this point.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We could walk away with two NHL ready players in their early twenties this summer who fill major needs, Zaitsev as a RHD and Vesey as a skilled forward with size, without giving up anything to acquire them.

I haven't got my hopes up with Vesey, but I've sort of taken it for granted we'll get Zaitsev based on all the speculation; it would be a little bit of a blow for me if we don't sign him at this point.

For a d man to jump to the nhl from any big ice league is going to be tough 50/50 at best. Zaitsev has the right tools imo so his odds are better, but you should expect there to be a fairly long adjustment period.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I just want Zaitsev wrapped up, he potentially fills a huge need. Though I am skeptical of Russian D considering how atrocious their recent track record has been.

As for Babcock, I remember going to sleep fully expecting him to go to Buffalo, woke up to the Buffalo board in full meltdown and us the victors. It was a great turn of events.

:laugh:

I had TSN on TV and was on Hf on my laptop when the news broke. It was actually freaking amazing.

Everyone acted like the Leafs didn't even exist the week before he decided, then boom he chooses Toronto. Man it felt good when all the "insiders" were left speechless and had to backtrack on everything they had said leading up to the signing.

Don't even get me started with Buffalo, it was actual hilarious how they're media showed up to the presser to whine and ***** :laugh:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

NHL ready? one coming from NCAA the other from KHL?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
:laugh:

I had TSN on TV and was on Hf on my laptop when the news broke. It was actually freaking amazing.

Everyone acted like the Leafs didn't even exist the week before he decided, then boom he chooses Toronto. Man it felt good when all the "insiders" were left speechless and had to backtrack on everything they had said leading up to the signing.

Don't even get me started with Buffalo, it was actual hilarious how they're media showed up to the presser to whine and ***** :laugh:

The Buffalo media showing up for that presser was embarrassing. Like howard berger/Steve simmons level embarrassing.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Found this one funny since he do seem to have both shut down capabilities and a high offensive ceiling.

9. Nikita Zaitsev, D
6’1, 175 lbs, playing for Sibir Novosibirsk

After being invited at the NHL Combine and not being picked last year (he was reportedly being hardly scouted by the Chicago Blackhawks and the Philadelphia Flyers), Nikita Zaitsev kept on playing in Novosibirsk, where he spent his second full pro hockey season. Zaitsev did progress since last season, earning better minutes and a bigger role within the team, however, his impact on the team was pretty limited, even if his game matured and progressed. This year he was also a member of gold medal Team Russia at the WJC. While he doesn’t have the kind of ceiling to become a top shut-down defenseman, nor an offensive blue liner, Zaitsev might develop into a solid, reliable, low-paring player.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13149/top10_russians_eligible_for_the2011_nhl_draft/

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Can't read russian but VERY happy if true.

just right click bing translate or google translate it. automated translations are not perfect, but you'll get the basics.

and Federov has already confirmed it in a different site.

So, I'd say it's a done deal. It may be 3 years though or it may be something less.

Russian sources are always dicey.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Google translate...

CSKA defender decided to try their hand at one of the most renowned clubs in the NHL, which is going through hard times

Photo: RIA Novosti / Elena Rusko

Defender of the Russian national Nikita Zaitsev continue his career in the National Hockey League (NHL). According to "Izvestia", CSKA player has agreed a three-year contract with the "Toronto Maple Leafs" and start to play for the famous Canadian club with the season-2016/17. On the transition Zaitsev will be announced at the end of the final series of the Gagarin Cup.

Now "Maple Leaves" experiencing hard times. 13-time winner of the Stanley Cup three years in a row can not go in the NHL playoffs, and this season proved to be perhaps the most dreadful in their history. The team finished the regular season in last place, winning only 29 wins and 53 defeats. "Maple Leafs" did not drop to the bottom of the standings since 1985. To remedy the situation, the general manager of "Toronto" Lou Lamorello intends to seriously reshape the composition. And one of the first newcomers will be exactly Nikita Zaitsev.

In the 24 years Zaitsev is the leader of the defense of CSKA, one of the best clubs in the KHL, which is now fighting for the Gagarin Cup. Moreover, Nikita - one of the main characters of this play-off. It is not only well fulfills its direct responsibilities, but also shows excellent performance. In Zaitsev 16 Gagarin Cup matches, scored 13 points for the "goal plus pass" system. And in the final confrontation with Magnitogorsk "Metallurgist" CSKA defender even scored yet in every meeting.

Zaitsev - one of the most brilliant generation of players who won the 2011 World Youth Championship. Now he serves and for the national team of Russia, and in the opinion of the fans is one of the brightest stars of the CHL. Chief manager of CSKA Moscow, Sergei Fedorov understands that keep Zaitsev will be very difficult. "I think Nikita try their hand at the ocean - Fedorov said last year. - We want him to leave, but we understand that another chance to break into the NHL Nikita will not. We will accept any decision. "

In Zaitseva should have no problems with adaptation in the best league in the world. He is fluent in English and is engaged in physical training every summer the famous coach Gary Roberts with NHL stars Stemkos Stephen and Connor McDavid. However, Nikita still has to get used to playing small venues enhaelovskih, to the new requirements of the coaching staff and all will have to fight for a place if not in the starting lineup, the first-second five team for sure.

Interestingly, in addition Zaitsev in "Toronto" may be and Alexander Radulov. The contract with CSKA Moscow striker ends April 30, 2016, and the next day he becomes a free agent. In addition to "Maple Leaf" interest in his person show "New York Islanders" and "New York Rangers".

We add that the color of "Toronto" is already protected by two Russians: 22-year-old striker Nikita openers and 20-year-old defender Rinat Valiev. However, while they are no longer playing still in the farm club, "Maple Leafs". In the season-2015/16 for the first team, they had a 23 match for two.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Panirin was 23 when he signed his.

Under 25 players have to sign an ELC to enter the league, if you're 21 or younger it's 3 years, 22/23 it's 2, 24 it's 1.

It might not be made up, and maybe they just got that detail wrong, but it's one of those things that they could toss out there without any source because everyone pretty much knows it's going to happen, and they screwed up that number of years.

Not sure how much credibility that site has so I can't really take a guess, but messing up a detail like that it just smells off.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Guys... his season isn't over yet so he hasn't agreed to anything

His team is up 2-1 in the finals though

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
according to a news report on izvestia.ru

Zaitsev has agreed to a 3-year contract with the leafs.

stayed tuned.

http://izvestia.ru/news/609688

Thsi part is particualrry interesting:

Chief manager of CSKA Moscow, Sergei Fedorov understands that keep Zaitsev will be very difficult. "I think Nikita try their hand at the ocean - Fedorov said last year. - We want him to leave, but we understand that another chance to break into the NHL Nikita will not. We will accept any decision. "

WUT?:help:

Darn google translate... LOL....

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

Chief manager of CSKA Moscow, Sergei Fedorov understands that keep Zaitsev will be very difficult. "I think Nikita try their hand at the ocean - Fedorov said last year. - We want him to leave, but we understand that another chance to break into the NHL Nikita will not. We will accept any decision. "

:biglaugh:

Does Zaitsev hit any at all by the way? Is he a physical player at all?
I'm sure he would make our team better none the less.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

This is the part of the text to which you are referring. I'll give you the proper translation. since I am a translator.

Главный менеджер ЦСКА Сергей Федоров понимает, что удержать Зайцева будет очень сложно. «Мне кажется, Никита попробует свои силы за океаном, — сказал Федоров еще в прошлом году. — Мы бы хотели его оставить, но понимаем, что другого шанса пробиться в НХЛ у Никиты не будет. Мы примем любое его решение».

The General Manager of CSKA, Sergei Federov understands that retaining Zaitsev would be very difficult. "It seems to me that Nikita is intent on testing his abilities abroad, Federov said last year. "We would like to keep him, but we understand that there may not be another opportunity for Nikita to make the NHL. We'll accept whatever decision he makes.".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad