TSN: CSKA GM Fedorov says Zaitsev will join Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Did he not also deny that he had signed a contract or was even interested in the Leafs?

And again, all of these reports are second hand, from unconfirmed sources, often through shoddy translations.

well he can't sign a contract when he's... under contract. so yes. he probably denied it. but no he didn't deny he as interested in the Leafs. he was here last summer and stated why he was.

like at the end of the day i understand where you are coming from - but just because WE don't know them, doesn't mean they are second hand, or unconfirmed. but we will see.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
It really isn't when you consider that Russian reporting can be pretty shoddy as times. The whole point is there aren't any quotes or video of Federov ACTUALLY saying anything. That's where the skeptism comes in.

The reporter in question does seem to think the he'll be a Leaf. He even had an exchange with Marek stating that the Russian media are still in denial about it.

To be fair, Steve Simmons is one of 4 guys on a show called "The Reporters", so it's not like NA reporting is so great and the Russian media is terrible. I think that saying "reports from the media can be pretty shoddy at times" would be much more accurate. As other have mentioned in this thread, even McKenzie and Friedman have been wrong before.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
To be fair, Steve Simmons is one of 4 guys on a show called "The Reporters", so it's not like NA reporting is so great and the Russian media is terrible. I think that saying "reports from the media can be pretty shoddy at times" would be much more accurate. As other have mentioned in this thread, even McKenzie and Friedman have been wrong before.

McKenzie said this morning on TSN radio that the deal was pretty much done.

Take from that what you will. I'm "cautiously optimistic" and feel a deal ain't done until the deal is done.

Ask Nashville and Poile.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
To be fair, almost every reporter predicted he wouldn't sign with the Predators. It just gives them more credibility.

I'm just referencing the deal itself and I'm sure some Nashville fans were assuming it was a lock too.

It'll be a load off when I finally see it confirmed through the proper channels! (Hopefully that is!! If all goes right).

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

Russian media in general is pretty shoddy so I'm speaking on overall reputation. It's just the way it is there. I agree that the N.A media is definitely not perfect.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
well he can't sign a contract when he's... under contract. so yes. he probably denied it. but no he didn't deny he as interested in the Leafs. he was here last summer and stated why he was.

like at the end of the day i understand where you are coming from - but just because WE don't know them, doesn't mean they are second hand, or unconfirmed. but we will see.

Perhaps things have changed now, but McLennan said when he was in the KHL one of his teammates signed a contract with another KHL team during the season and plainly announced it to all his teammates :laugh:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

This issue as I see it is we dont even know if these are reporters, or their track record and credibility of reporting these things. Then throw in the massive wrench that is translation and it creates a huge cloud of doubt in my mind.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This issue as I see it is we dont even know if these are reporters, or their track record and credibility of reporting these things. Then throw in the massive wrench that is translation and it creates a huge cloud of doubt in my mind.

I understand but tell me how big is Toronto Maple Leafs in Russia? why they would keep on associating him with the Leafs (there has to be some thing)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Until he is signed, I'm not getting to involved in this chatter. If he signs i will be pumped. The dude is really good. Young still too.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Until he is signed, I'm not getting to involved in this chatter. If he signs i will be pumped. The dude is really good. Young still too.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but, you did just get involved in the chatter! :laugh:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I understand but tell me how big is Toronto Maple Leafs in Russia? why they would keep on associating him with the Leafs (there has to be some thing)

Shanny was a cup winning team-mate and close friends with some pretty big movers and shakers in the KHL, Larionov, Federov Koslov and Fetisov. there was an article recently about his sustained connections with these guys

As an old Detroit teammate, for instance, Kozlov will know precisely the kind of puck possession game Shanahan wants. Having scored 853 NHL points, Kozlov knows what NHL success requires. Plus, he just spent the entire season playing and practicing alongside Soshnikov. And Kozlov has a great hockey mind — he retired this year and has stepped into coaching already. His views are likely to be a pretty big upgrade over the kind of thing you’d get from a scout sitting in the stands and watching a few games.

Now, officially, the Leafs say the tip came through assistant coach Evgeny Namestnikov, who they’d hired. Okay, sure, that could be the case. After all, Namestnikov’s son played junior for the London Knights, so maybe he knew Mark Hunter and the connection came in that way. But it’s worth noting that Namestnikov is also the brother-in-law to… Slava Kozlov. He may have just been asked to be the official contact for a Kozlov-Shanahan link.

Anyway, perhaps it came through Namestnikov. It’s hard to tell, but regardless of who initiated the contact, that’s two top-notch information wires in a network that runs back to the Leafs. And Shanahan’s Russian network goes well beyond this.

For starters: Slava Fetisov: Just elected to the KHL board, Shanahan played with him on his first NHL team, and then on his first Cup-winning team in Detroit. Lou Lamoriello famously brought him over to the NHL.

Sergei Fedorov: General Manager of the Red Army team, Shanahan played with him, and Babcock coached him in Anaheim.

Igor Larionov: A high-profile agent for numerous Russian players, Shanahan played with him, and he ended his career in New Jersey with Lou. Just on their own, these three former players likely have connections to about three quarters of Russian hockey. They’re enormous names to know.

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/11/22/shanahan-soshnikov-kid-whos-scared-nothing-part-v/

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
According to the article, he's been training with Gary Roberts.:yo:

Also, 13pts in 16 playoff games is downright fantastic. Remember, in Russia they don't hand out secondary assists like candy as they do in the NHL.

FYI - the NHL awards the secondary assist to the player who touches the puck before the primary assist player, they aren't handed out "like candy".

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
FYI - the NHL awards the secondary assist to the player who touches the puck before the primary assist player, they aren't handed out "like candy".

Yea, thanks tips. The KHL is a lot more stringent when it comes to handing out secondary assists.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Alex Radulov is confirmed to be coming to the NHL next season, per Festiov.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON

Well, it's a perfectly factual statement when comparing to hockey in Europe, Russia, and historically with the NHL in its past. The current NHL DOES hand out secondary assists like candy. They literally give you an assist no matter what, as long as you were the third last person to touch a puck before it goes into the net. And quite often, it's not an integral part of the goal itself.

I understand why they do it - to take out subjectivity amongst the people at their home rinks - but calling a spade a spade is not false or exaggerated.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't know if his party boy hockey god personality will be attractive to our management?

My money is on Colorado.

I'm not even sure about Colorado, based on their current buildup and what Roy and Sakic have said.

However, if Lou, Babs, Shanny have sat down and talked to him and they feel he's settled down a bit, and he can fit in, I can't really question it.

It's undeniable that he's a great player, all about if his attitude has changed any.

At the end of the day, I'm 99% sure he's not coming here.

Watch Montreal sign him.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I don't know if his party boy hockey god personality will be attractive to our management?

I could see our management going after him on a one year deal to flip at the deadline. It would be advantageous for him, because he could prove to other teams that he can behave in perhaps the most disciplined environment in the league, and set himself up for a run at the cup after the deadline and a big payday in the offseason. He could bring in a good haul at the deadline for us.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm not even sure about Colorado, based on their current buildup and what Roy and Sakic have said.

However, if Lou, Babs, Shanny have sat down and talked to him and they feel he's settled down a bit, and he can fit in, I can't really question it.

It's undeniable that he's a great player, all about if his attitude has changed any.

At the end of the day, I'm 99% sure he's not coming here.

Watch Montreal sign him.

Isn't it so nice to have such faith in our management group that we would trust them to bring in a noted disruptive influence to the team?
Agreed in the 99% not here though, but the above point on management still stands, it's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad