TSN: CSKA GM Fedorov says Zaitsev will join Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yeah, I'm not sure what else people need to count this "egg".

He's coming here. 100%.

I bet they already have the contract signed and sealed and are waiting until they can deliver it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=115270443&postcount=330

An earlier comment by me. Timing would be perfect.

The question is, could he sign when "his" season is over. Soshnikov signed on Mar 20th last year, their team did not advance to the playoffs. I believe the playoffs go to about mid April.

The Leafs may decide to keep everything clean & sign him after April 30th. Could they sign him prior to May 1st with permission from CKSA or when they are completed? Could the paperwork be signed & sitting in a safe?

I think the Leafs should announce the signing of Zaitsev the day after they win the Draft Lottery.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I didn't know this, was wondering about the language barrier.

I got the information from the translated article from a couple of pages back. Here is the whole thing with the part about his English, bolded.

Google translate...

CSKA defender decided to try their hand at one of the most renowned clubs in the NHL, which is going through hard times

Photo: RIA Novosti / Elena Rusko

Defender of the Russian national Nikita Zaitsev continue his career in the National Hockey League (NHL). According to "Izvestia", CSKA player has agreed a three-year contract with the "Toronto Maple Leafs" and start to play for the famous Canadian club with the season-2016/17. On the transition Zaitsev will be announced at the end of the final series of the Gagarin Cup.

Now "Maple Leaves" experiencing hard times. 13-time winner of the Stanley Cup three years in a row can not go in the NHL playoffs, and this season proved to be perhaps the most dreadful in their history. The team finished the regular season in last place, winning only 29 wins and 53 defeats. "Maple Leafs" did not drop to the bottom of the standings since 1985. To remedy the situation, the general manager of "Toronto" Lou Lamorello intends to seriously reshape the composition. And one of the first newcomers will be exactly Nikita Zaitsev.

In the 24 years Zaitsev is the leader of the defense of CSKA, one of the best clubs in the KHL, which is now fighting for the Gagarin Cup. Moreover, Nikita - one of the main characters of this play-off. It is not only well fulfills its direct responsibilities, but also shows excellent performance. In Zaitsev 16 Gagarin Cup matches, scored 13 points for the "goal plus pass" system. And in the final confrontation with Magnitogorsk "Metallurgist" CSKA defender even scored yet in every meeting.

Zaitsev - one of the most brilliant generation of players who won the 2011 World Youth Championship. Now he serves and for the national team of Russia, and in the opinion of the fans is one of the brightest stars of the CHL. Chief manager of CSKA Moscow, Sergei Fedorov understands that keep Zaitsev will be very difficult. "I think Nikita try their hand at the ocean - Fedorov said last year. - We want him to leave, but we understand that another chance to break into the NHL Nikita will not. We will accept any decision. "

In Zaitseva should have no problems with adaptation in the best league in the world. He is fluent in English and is engaged in physical training every summer the famous coach Gary Roberts with NHL stars Stemkos Stephen and Connor McDavid. However, Nikita still has to get used to playing small venues enhaelovskih, to the new requirements of the coaching staff and all will have to fight for a place if not in the starting lineup, the first-second five team for sure.

Interestingly, in addition Zaitsev in "Toronto" may be and Alexander Radulov. The contract with CSKA Moscow striker ends April 30, 2016, and the next day he becomes a free agent. In addition to "Maple Leaf" interest in his person show "New York Islanders" and "New York Rangers".

We add that the color of "Toronto" is already protected by two Russians: 22-year-old striker Nikita openers and 20-year-old defender Rinat Valiev. However, while they are no longer playing still in the farm club, "Maple Leafs". In the season-2015/16 for the first team, they had a 23 match for two.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
This is the weirdest logic.

It really isn't when you consider that Russian reporting can be pretty shoddy as times. The whole point is there aren't any quotes or video of Federov ACTUALLY saying anything. That's where the skeptism comes in.

The reporter in question does seem to think the he'll be a Leaf. He even had an exchange with Marek stating that the Russian media are still in denial about it.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
From my point of view Zaitsev can cross out 2/3 on the Stevie Wonder checklist:

[ x ] Signed
[ x ] Sealed
[ _ ] Delivered

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Until we see a signed contract, with Zaitsev's signature on it, I won't count on him being a Leaf.

Too many things can happen IMHO.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Until we see a signed contract, with Zaitsev's signature on it, I won't count on him being a Leaf.

Too many things can happen IMHO.

Correct. Don't assume he's a leaf until he is.

Don't need a mini kovalchuk/babcock meltdown happening when it doesn't happen

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
friedman and mackenzie have been wrong plenty before. JEez.

there is being wrong.

and there is public statements from the player himself basically saying why he's choosing Toronto, the official KHL youtube channel saying "Zaitsev giving Babcock notice about his skills" or whatever the title was, Federov acknowledging hes' going to go.

I understand that people don't want to be disappointed if in case it doesn't happen - which is fair, but I tend to take people at their word. (which is probably why i give people a heck of a lot of grief when they sign somewhere else ;) )

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I understand not wanting to take things for granted before they are a fact, but some people here seem like they'd be at the edge of their seats just in case he gets thrown off the ice at opening night next season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The difference between Zaitsev and Vesey is that Zaitsev been to TO and seen what's going on and all things point to him here where Vesey or even Stamkos just seems like rumours we want to become true.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
is Zaitsev getting a 3 year ELC? I thought for his age it had to be a 1-2 year ELC

I wonder if the translation screwed up "will sign in 3 weeks" to " will sign for 3 years"

At any rate, it looks promising. Still a long road ahead before its confirmed and if he even makes the team.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I wonder if the translation screwed up "will sign in 3 weeks" to " will sign for 3 years"

At any rate, it looks promising. Still a long road ahead before its confirmed and if he even makes the team.

Translation was correct, it is written trehletniy, meaning for 3 years.

Yeah, they are still playing their finals and I would assume that he will join their national team at WC. But hopefully he signs soon, it would be great to get another signing closed already in April.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
there is being wrong.

and there is public statements from the player himself basically saying why he's choosing Toronto, the official KHL youtube channel saying "Zaitsev giving Babcock notice about his skills" or whatever the title was, Federov acknowledging hes' going to go.

I understand that people don't want to be disappointed if in case it doesn't happen - which is fair, but I tend to take people at their word. (which is probably why i give people a heck of a lot of grief when they sign somewhere else ;) )

Did he not also deny that he had signed a contract or was even interested in the Leafs?

And again, all of these reports are second hand, from unconfirmed sources, often through shoddy translations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad