crosby or ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
CSKA said:
That is simply wrong ! Ovechkin absolutly dominated from 16-17 .....broke some international records and already played in the RSL :teach:

What art of bashing do you mean ? Because one or two canadien members saying he is not the next Gretzky or Lemeux ? Oh please :shakehead
The art of saying that one of them might fail? Face it, there are quite a few Canadians out there who think that Ovechkin is the better player. I have yet to see a single Russian who think that Crosby might be better... none.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
me2 said:
Crosby should win this easily and I'd be disappointed if he didn't. AO has got no supporting offensive cast, a poor team in general, and very likely a quite medicore PP. AO is going to see the best checkers game in game out. He's going to see the best shutdown D pairings game in game out. He's going to be physically targeted game in game out. Why? Because teams can focus on him. Teams can't afford to just try to lock down Crosby only, because then Mario, Palffy, etc will score.

The Pengs PP has the potential to be dynamite. If Mario, Ziggy, Crosby, Gonchar click, then Crosby could pick up enough PP assists to he beats AO in scoring comfortably.

That's not a knock AO, if they switched teams I'd back AO to win the scoring race for the same reasons.
I totally agree. :bow: As of now, I have no idea who's the better player but considering each supporting cast, I have to acknowledge that one has the advantage over the other.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Canuck21t said:
The art of saying that one of them might fail? Face it, there are quite a few Canadians out there who think that Ovechkin is the better player. I have yet to see a single Russian who think that Crosby might be better... none.

yeah on a HF Board with about 90% canadien members :shakehead

SubNova

If you say they are just as skilled and just as fast then you need to take a look at size. The only way Crosby is THE NEXT ONE is if he can fly like Bure. But more likely he will develop in to a player like St. Louis. Thus ovechkin has advantage over him.

SubNova

The MVP of the playoffs award never goes to the European player. Everyone knows the MVP of the playoffs was Khabibulin. Patrick Roy won with 4 shout outs in 2001 playoffs and 1.70 Avg. Khabibulin had 5 SO and 1.71 Avg. Oh well, we will see how good Tampa Bay is without top goalie. :teach:

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
SubNova said:
The MVP of the playoffs award never goes to the European player. Everyone knows the MVP of the playoffs was Khabibulin. Patrick Roy won with 4 shout outs in 2001 playoffs and 1.70 Avg. Khabibulin had 5 SO and 1.71 Avg. Oh well, we will see how good Tampa Bay is without top goalie. :teach:

no no you cant say that ..........richards was simply on another level and the defence was all over the ice :teach: :D

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
DrMoses said:
4 points in 21 games vs. men sucks compared to 160+ points against players who are almost men... The difference between the RSL and the Q is not that big... No doubt it could be considered a positive in Oveckin's column but in no way does it elevate him over Crosby...

15 points in 30 games for Vincent Lecavalier, 4 points in 11 games for Dany Heatley, 2 points in 10 games for Martin Havlat. So 4 points for Ovechkin as a 16 years old on the 4th line is fine for me. And at the same year being U17 he broke U18 record with 14 goals in 8 games and 8 monthes later led his U20 team in goals (6 in 6 games, tied with Grigorenko and also tied in the whole tournament).

It is hard to compare players from different leagues. International tournaments help a bit.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Canuck21t said:
That is so true. Most Canadians prefer Crosby but many also prefer Ovechkin. On the other hand, have you ever heard a Russian prefering Crosby? NEVER.

You know, they can't take the cat in the bag over Ovechkin, I guess not many Russians on these boards watch QMJHL or Memorial Cup or maybe even WJC (it is not televised on public channels in Russia).

Last edited:

espo*

Slay said:
You know, they can't take the cat in the bag over Ovechkin, I guess not many Russians on these boards watch QMJHL or Memorial Cup or maybe even WJC (it is not televised on public channels in Russia).
Maybe,but it just goes to show you the Canadian fans are a little fairer in their assesment.I'm sure some if not all of these posters from Russia have watched the w.jc but as that poster said...........i've never seen a Russian poster say they prefered Crosby to A.O. No denying this whatsoever. Think about that for a minute.Who are the resonable ones around here?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
gawd these threads suck, lol. How about this...lets all hope that each player maximizes their potential and rawks the league and their respective team.

Azdinator

Jun 29, 2005
France
I think Ovechkin proved already a lot of things during the last WC ... I'm ok to say that he was on a real good line (with malkin and afinogenov, speedy and technic) but in the same time Alexander proved that he can scored alone too and I don't really think that crosby could did what Ovechkin relised during last WC.
I think as the most of people here that for the next years Ovechkin will be better than crosby but in the long-term I think crosby will have a better carrer, particulary if Alexander has thge same kind of carreer than Jagr or Yashin. but when I saw the 2 played I prefer so far Ovechkin play plus I don't know why nobody speak about that but when I saw some video recap of the memorial cup I didn't see Crosby played as he used too ... It's not really good for his moral.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Chimaera said:
The numbers aren't that vastly different. And I hate to say it, but anyone arguing that the Q is a superior league to the RSL is a fool. Playing against solid NHL'ers week in and week out is definitely a lot harder. Heck, practicing against NHL'ers is probably tougher then playing in the Q.

I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to say the Q is superior to the RSL - it clearly isn't. However, calling the Q "boys" when a lot of the CHL is guys 19 and 20, a league with players like Phaneuf, Carter, Richards, Weber... well thats just ridiculous.

Remember what those "boys" did to the Russian team with Malkin and Ovechkin? They made them look like girls.

I'm not going to venture a guess as to who is going to be the better player - far too early and too many things to consider, but some ridiculous things are being said here.

Tom

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
usiel said:
gawd these threads suck, lol. How about this...lets all hope that each player maximizes their potential and rawks the league and their respective team.

I'd like to go one week here without an argument about who is better between these two players. I don't see why people start threads like this - all they have to do is go back into the logs and read the 800 other messages arguing about these two.

Tom

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canuck21t said:
That is so true. Most Canadians prefer Crosby but many also prefer Ovechkin. On the other hand, have you ever heard a Russian prefering Crosby? NEVER.

that's true, because you need to wait at least 1 or 2 generations to see open-minded people in Russia

I'm not saying there aren't any, but only a few

as for me, I'm putting Ovechkin ahead of Crosby "simply" because AO led Russia at the World Championships with 8 points in 7 games, and played extremely well towards the end of the tournament against Finland, Sweden and Canada, which was filled with some very good NHL defensemen. Ovechkin is a skilled senior, while Crosby is going to have a tough time against the big defenders.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
but he's way more developed than Crosby
So he's way more developed than the most completely skilled player NHL
scouts have ever seen. :dunno:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
thomasincanada said:
I'd like to go one week here without an argument about who is better between these two players. I don't see why people start threads like this - all they have to do is go back into the logs and read the 800 other messages arguing about these two.

Tom

why are you arguing again then? :sarcasm:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
usiel said:

Amen to that. Stop all the pointless bickering...both these guys should be ruling the NHL in 5 years.

Crosby is the second coming of, maybe Thorton

Ovechkin, maybe Nasland, with a little more physical pressence....

Both will be great players.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
pei fan said:
So he's way more developed than the most completely skilled player NHL
scouts have ever seen. :dunno:
Yeah. He's two years older, and thus a lot more developed physically, and probably more polished defensively.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
15 points in 30 games for Vincent Lecavalier, 4 points in 11 games for Dany Heatley, 2 points in 10 games for Martin Havlat.

eh i think that kind of stuff is misleading. for one it's players not used to the league, and two, i don't think all of them were exactly at their playing best.

KariyaIsGod*

EroCaps said:
DrMoses said:
The difference is that Crosby played through the dirty hacks and abuse while Ovechkin, who HAS BEEN PLAYING WITH MEN FOR YEARS :amazed: , couldn't even handle a few clean checks from a bunch of kids...
You lost me at this genius statement. :rolleyes:

Ovechkin has played how many games against NHL calibre players without suffering injury? He gets hurt in one game and you isolate it as the penultimate example of his toughness. Why? It's probably one of three games you've seen him play- and I'm being generous.

He's done more to show he can physically handle NHL talent than any NHL prospect in years, including Crosby. If you can't see that, you're not trying IMO.

As for who will score more- Kovalchuck and Nash haven't seemed to suffer statistically from lack of quality linemates. There's nothing Ovechkin can do to trump playing w/Lemieux and Palffy, but it's not like he's dependent on being second fiddle. He'll get his share.

That's the problem. You rave on and on about Ovechkin withstanding games with real men in the RSL and talk about Crosby's lack of competition because he never played against anybody but kids right? Well isn't it ironic that the one time Ovechkin can't handle it... The one time he gets taken out because it's too much for him, is against kids the same age as the one Crosby has been playing against?

SubNova

eh i think that kind of stuff is misleading. for one it's players not used to the league, and two, i don't think all of them were exactly at their playing best.

You think it’s easy to come to USA and play hockey when you are from another country? You make it sound like its only one-way. Its obvious some players are good no matter where they play. But to write off bad play to different style or whatever is totally BS. :teach:

Maken*

mach 1 said:
when was the last time a russian won the mvp of the playoffs?
It takes heart and determination, combined with skill. It is something we have not seen from a Russian thus far. I also don't think it helps that players don't get payed in the playoffs.

SubNova said:
The MVP of the playoffs award never goes to the European player. Everyone knows the MVP of the playoffs was Khabibulin.
:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad