Crosby 1 assist in 4 games

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
What are you talking about? It’s a known fact Crosby has constantly been called the “best” no matter where he ends up or what he does/doesn’t achieve. He gets the benefit of the doubt more than anyone due to his past play.

Crosby was terrible, yet now we are seeing even better accuses like “he could have been a PPG if he got some lucky bounces.” Face it, many here can’t handle Crosby NOT being considered the best and always need validation. Now that it’s swung the opposite way, many can’t help but search for reasons in desperation in order to preserve his “title.”

And then some are the exact opposite.

Reactions: Hank Plank

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
And then some are the exact opposite.
Which proves my point further :laugh:

It’s not that some can’t handle him being the best or are in denial about it....it’s more many can’t handle that he is no longer the king of the mountain. Then rolls our excuse after excuse and constant threads/posts seeking approval.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Crosbys 2017, 2018, and probably his 2016 regular seasons were excused because of his playoff performances and many proclaimed him as still the best player in the league. He wasn’t the best player in the league those years, but The narrative and argument will consistently change to benefit Crosby when he does anything great. Don’t be that guy....unless you have been living under a rock, his “grace period” as been one of controversy over the past few years.

I can still remember even McDavid vs Crosby, and how McDavid got a ton of flack for his “weak” playoff performance in 2016 while Crosby went on to win a cup with a very controversial Smythe. Crosby has no topped him with an even weaker one, but many can’t help but try to put our attention elsewhere.
2015-2016 the entire team was a nightmare with head coach Mike Johnston for half the season. Then Sullivan came in and it took them another month to adjust. But Crosby's second half performance to his season is one of his bests, which was why he was in the Hart talk.

In between these season Crosby won the 2016 World Cup of Hockey MVP and another gold medal.

Crosby won the Rocket Richard in 2016-2017. Not sure what you're saying there...

And 2017-2018, ya... maybe a down season by his usual standards. Guy played more hockey than anyone else in the world over the last 3 prior years. But still a PPG+. Nothing to be sorry for there. I certainly not mad at him for it.

Crosby is still the gold standard in the league. He may not be a point producing machine, but pooping out points doesn't equate to winning. Look at Tampa. Look at McDavid.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
2015-2016 the entire team was a nightmare with head coach Mike Johnston for half the season. The Sullivan came in and it took them another month to adjust. But Crosby's second half performance to his season is one of his bests, which was why he was in the Hart talk.

In between these season Crosby won the 2016 World Cup of Hockey MVP

Crosby won the Rocket Richard in 2016-2017. Not sure what you're saying there...

And 2017-2018, ya... maybe a down season by his usual standards. Guy played more hockey than anyone else in the world over the last 3 years. Buts still a PPG+. Nothing to be sorry for there. I certainly not mad at him for it.

Crosby is still the gold standard in the league. He may not be a point producing machine, but if pooping out points doesn't equate to winning. Look at Tampa. Look at McDavid.
Your missing my point. I’m not saying he wasn’t one of the best, not THE best....but after the playoffs, many were quick to excuse McDavid while putting Crosby on his thrown. No one can ever say Crosby hasn’t been one of the best.

And that makes him the best? Thank you for further proving my point

Once again....that makes him the best? More teaching at its finest.

Winning is easy with a great team around you. Crosby has had significantly better talent around him up until this year than McDavid ever has, and even then this years Pens were still better than the Oilers. I’m not arguing his value or overall play as one of the top players, but he is no longer the best player. We can continue dancing around that fact with, “well he won a WC MVP and a Rocket...” or a cup/Smythe. Either way, it’s still hard for many of you to process that.

Reactions: Casanova

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Yikes. Be an Edmonton fan. Be so jaded at your bad team that your entire hockey fandom is based around stat watching a player on another team.

Unhinged.

On an internet message board no less. Yeesh.

When did it become about winning an argument about who the best player is on the internet ? Id really be much more concerned about how my own team can add great coaches and players to the great players my team already has. Isn't the cup the goal?

I'm sure the penguins/crosby fans care much more about the three cups he's helped the team win.

I also like the supporting cast of Washington, Philadelphia, etc fans from teams who have combined for less Stanley cup victories than the penguins since Crosby entered the league. It's not Crosby's fault guys. Look...inward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lomez

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
27 year old Gretzky had zero goals and 2 assists in 5 games in a playoff series against Red Wings in 1987. Two years later Gretzky had 1 goal in three games while being -7 against the Oilers. Bad/unproductive playoff series have happened to pretty much all all-time greats, even those playing in the high scoring 80's.

Lemieux might be the only exception of a player with zero below PPG playoff series in his prime.

Oh I stand corrected then. Good post. I was only able to see the total playoff points per playoff season unfortunately.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Which proves my point further :laugh:

It’s not that some can’t handle him being the best or are in denial about it....it’s more many can’t handle that he is no longer the king of the mountain. Then rolls our excuse after excuse and constant threads/posts seeking approval.

Yeah, I mean, some people are so obsessed by it that you'll find them in every Crosby thread spouting off their same inane nonsense in search of that validation.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
A lot of Crosby hate, but he was all over the ice in this series. It just did not work out for him, and the rest of his team was trash.
Casey Czikas, Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Adam Pelech, and Ryan Pulock held him in check.

Reactions: TeeTee

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Why would we have to excuse Crosby’s 15-16 and 16-17 season where he finished 2nd in hart voting both times? @GreatGonzo
Because he still wasn’t seen as the best player in the league? Pretty straight forward and a point I’ve made so many times now. Maybe read up and keep up before responding.

Crosby’s playoffs made him the “best” player in many people eyes. This year should be a prime example of that doing the opposite, right?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
A lot of Crosby hate, but he was all over the ice in this series. It just did not work out for him, and the rest of his team was trash.
Casey Czikas, Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Adam Pelech, and Ryan Pulock held him in check.
Hate? More like the perfect example of how illogical and bias some people can be...

So once again it’s not that Crosby played bad.....he was just contained and the rest of the team was trash.

And you wonder why we mention grace period

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
Some ridiculous comments on here. I saw every game of the series and he was easily the best player on the ice regardless of team and not including goalies. Some time hockey bounces go your way, sometimes they don't. Lehner was very good and things went the Isles way but to suggest Crosby was somehow not good is just not true. He easily could have had 10 points in those 4 games with 1 or 2 bounces and teammates finishing plays. The Islanders played great team D but Sid still had his chances. His teammates, however, didn't and that's why he had only 1 point.

Reactions: Tweed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad