Crosby 1 assist in 4 games

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
What are you talking about? It’s a known fact Crosby has constantly been called the “best” no matter where he ends up or what he does/doesn’t achieve. He gets the benefit of the doubt more than anyone due to his past play.

Crosby was terrible, yet now we are seeing even better accuses like “he could have been a PPG if he got some lucky bounces.” Face it, many here can’t handle Crosby NOT being considered the best and always need validation. Now that it’s swung the opposite way, many can’t help but search for reasons in desperation in order to preserve his “title.”
What am I talking about? It's not complicated. I find the Sid-hater fanboys to be as amusing (and generally) absurd as the Sid fanboys.

What else am I talking about? It is absurd to suggest that Sid isn't an excellent player and it is equally absurd to expect him to excel every moment of his career.

Anything else I was talking about? I'll leave discussions about who is, or isn't, the "best" to you, Pierre McGuire, and the others, I'll just watch the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Some ridiculous comments on here. I saw every game of the series and he was easily the best player on the ice regardless of team and not including goalies. Some time hockey bounces go your way, sometimes they don't. Lehner was very good and things went the Isles way but to suggest Crosby was somehow not good is just not true. He easily could have had 10 points in those 4 games with 1 or 2 bounces and teammates finishing plays. The Islanders played great team D but Sid still had his chances. His teammates, however, didn't and that's why he had only 1 point.

Of course, your comment is similar to most who actually watched the series. A lot of posters here just look at the stat sheet or parrot what others post, i.e., fanboys.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He had a surprisingly good year, after several ho-hum seasons. He's been remarkably consistent, if not remarkable. So maybe you're right. Only time will tell.

How is back to back CSs and a rocket "ho hum"

Anyway. What ive been trying to say is that the TOP tier elite players usually age well.

(gretzky,Mario,Lidstrom)
Crosby is apart of that group, so is Ovi and Malkin. They'll be elite near 38

Reactions: Tweed

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
How is back to back CSs and a rocket "ho hum"

Anyway. What ive been trying to say is that the TOP tier elite players usually age well.

(gretzky,Mario,Lidstrom)
Crosby is apart of that group, so is Ovi and Malkin. They'll be elite near 38

Crosby and Malkin are nowhere near the same stratosphere as Gretzky and Lemieux.

Reactions: Casanova and Refuse

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Yah they are. Both are the two best players of their eras...just like 99 and 66.

Drop sid, ovi and malkin in the 80s, and they shatter their records.

That is fully and completely insane. :laugh:

Gretzky led the league in scoring 10 times. He would win scoring titles on his assists alone... and also have the most goals. He once won the Art Ross by 75 points (183 vs. 108).

In only 3 seasons in the league, McDavid already has as many scoring titles as Crosby.

Even in his wildest dreams, Crosby is nowhere remotely close to Gretzky or Lemieux.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That is fully and completely insane. :laugh:

Gretzky led the league in scoring 10 times. He would win scoring titles on his assists alone... and also have the most goals. He once won the Art Ross by 75 points (183 vs. 108).

In only 3 seasons in the league, McDavid already has as many scoring titles as Crosby.

Even in his wildest dreams, Crosby is nowhere remotely close to Gretzky or Lemieux.

Crosby would lead the league in scoring in the 80s every year by a landslide.

80s hockey was played at beer league speed and the goalies were a joke. Not impressive what top tier players did back then. The average competion was horrible.

2nd,3rd and 4th line players today are worlds better today than in the 80s where your average 3rd liner was a car mechanic.

Also Crosby has lead the NHL in ppg 6 times in a much harder era. Hes the goat. Only health held him back from winning 6 straight art rosses.

Reactions: Tweed

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018

80s hockey was played at beer league speed and the goalies were a joke. Not impressive what top tier players did back then. The average competion was horrible.

2nd,3rd and 4th line players today are worlds better today than in the 80s where your average 3rd liner was a car mechanic.

Also Crosby has lead the NHL in ppg 6 times in a much harder era. Hes the goat. Only health held him back from winning 6 straight art rosses.

Ah, so you are just trolling?

Carry on then.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Google "All time NHL point leaders in Playoffs". Get some perspective.

Crosby didn't have a good series statistically. No doubt. But people who are using these 4 games to somehow diminish previous accomplishments need to find better things in life.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Elite players are getting younger, not older. Look at the Top 40 in NHL scoring this season. There is only 1 player older than 33 on the entire list - Brent Burns @ 34.

So the odds of Crosby being an elite player at 35 is pretty close to 0%.

That's a pretty arbitrary number. There's

Last year 7/10 of the top scorers were over 30. Look how many 30+ year olds had career years this season. The good players, the truly skilled ones are maintaining their skill and having longer careers. 10/40 of those players are over 30. A quarter of the leagues best are in their 30's. Give it another couple years and we'll see even more, and even older players. Why? Because those elite players aren't going to just let go of their stranglehold on their league. This is a softer league, with better ways to heal up and stay healthy than there was even 10 years ago. Want to know what's different between say a Wayne Gretzky and a Sidney Crosby? Thousands of hours in the gym and superior medical services. It's a different approach to the game now. These guys can make their magic last a lot longer.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Oh man the greatgonzo is in this thread? Haven't heard from him since when did the flyers do anything?

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
The funny thing is that people have been waiting 4 years to crap on Crosby and his playoff play. It's actually nice to see the trolls crawl out. It's been a while since I remembered who to ignore.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Yah they are. Both are the two best players of their eras...just like 99 and 66.

:lol: Yeah he would lead the league in scoring against prime Gretzky and Lemieux, sure... Yep, "This site is so stupid sometimes. Actually, all the time." :biglaugh:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Drop sid, ovi and malkin in the 80s, and they shatter their records.

These are the type of posts that instantly destroys ones credibility.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
He’s about to be a hart finalist 5 out of the last 7 seasons with two smythes in addition.... so

Ah, so now you’re going the participation trophy route. Anything to pad those accomplishments.

Remember: this is the same guy who said McDavid pads his stats in garbage time. Nope, no sense of irony.

Cool, Crosby gets a Hart nom that he won’t win, again. Doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t produce in this playoffs, the main point of this thread, something that you’re in complete denial about.

What am I talking about? It's not complicated. I find the Sid-hater fanboys to be as amusing (and generally) absurd as the Sid fanboys.

What else am I talking about? It is absurd to suggest that Sid isn't an excellent player and it is equally absurd to expect him to excel every moment of his career.

Anything else I was talking about? I'll leave discussions about who is, or isn't, the "best" to you, Pierre McGuire, and the others, I'll just watch the game.

What the f*** is the point of being on a discussion board about hockey then?
Jesus.

Most people accept Crosby is one of the best in the game. Also most people can point out that Crosby wasn’t very good in a sweep.

Reactions: Casanova

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad